Sign in to follow this  
Guest janblanc

white textures in dx10 mode

Guest janblanc

hello..i 'm pretty newbie to everything related to airplane editing and all, but in the last few days i tried hard to solve the problem of white textures on planes while using dx10 preview but could not come up with anything..my question is, what sort of conversion must be done, to have those textures show up? i know theres a payware tool that does it on the fly, but i don't want to pay for it: i'd just like to convert 4 or 5 addon planes i loveto fly them under dx10 preview mode (on my system it gave me a real fps boost, and i dont want to get back to dx9).excuse me if this question has already been asked and answered, i made a few searches on the web and on this and other forums, but couldnt finda precise, definite solution.i tried using imagetool.exe and convert to dxt5, 32 bit etc., tried to save to dds format but..nothing, those textures are still white.thanks jan

hello..i 'm pretty newbie to everything related to airplane editing and all, but in the last few days i tried hard to solve the problem of white textures on planes while using dx10 preview but could not come up with anything..my question is, what sort of conversion must be done, to have those textures show up? i know theres a payware tool that does it on the fly, but i don't want to pay for it: i'd just like to convert 4 or 5 addon planes i loveto fly them under dx10 preview mode (on my system it gave me a real fps boost, and i dont want to get back to dx9).excuse me if this question has already been asked and answered, i made a few searches on the web and on this and other forums, but couldnt finda precise, definite solution.i tried using imagetool.exe and convert to dxt5, 32 bit etc., tried to save to dds format but..nothing, those textures are still white.thanks jan
Many models ,originally made for FS9, can be used in FSX (DX9) after converting the texturefiles to dds format.Several add ons converted for FSX by their original makers only work under DX9.Only models created with the FSX SDK for FSX/DX10 do show up correctly in DX10 preview.Conclusion:None of the models originally made for FS9 will work under FSX/DX10If you have models with DDS files wich do not show up under dx10....... sorry.Leen de Jager

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Guest janblanc
If you have models with DDS files wich do not show up under dx10....... sorry.
thanks for your answer,in fact, none of the model i want to convert have dds textures, generally they are bmps.what makes me think that there is a solution is that a payware tool manages to do the same work i try to do; i ve got nothingagainst addon converter or flightsim tools, but i tried the demo and saw that the conversion is made in a clean and somewhat fastway (apart from some bugs on night/dawn cockpit textures)..hence i guess that the entire process is only a 1 or 2 easy steps conversion,using only the imagetool program of the fs sdkexcuse the bad englishbye

what makes me think that there is a solution is that a payware tool manages to do the same work i try to do;
I am afraid not.There is a tool to convert bmp (DXT) textures to dds files thats correct.BUT in most cases they can only be used under Dx9.Not only the textures must be FSX/Dx10 compatible ALSO the mdl file must be compatible.Converting files from DXT to DDS is only usefull when you have a model running under Dx9 , to run under Dx10 you need more than just DDS files.If a model ( read mdl-file) is not made with the FSX SDK/Sp2 it cannot work under DX10There is no way to upgrade an existing MDL-file to an MDL-file suitable for FSX/Dx10.In other words , forget about the whole thing, you are waisting your time..Leen de Jager

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

Guest janblanc

really i don't know what to say.i understand your point, nevertheless i see that "Addon Converter", from flightsim tools does exactly the work i want to do manually,and it does it on the same planes i want to convert too.i used the addon converter demo (full software operation but limited to 10 mins in flight sim) and the planes work, they draw the texture correctly. i'm talking about both payware and freeware addons (afs mig-29, iris f-14 and some freeware nice packages from nor-cal).I even tried to monitor what the program does, and discovered that the textures are saved in a separate cache and converted in .bgl format,(altough they name it to .dat files).i didn't find reference to the .mdl file, but can't exclude it is processed in some way.what i (still) refuse to admit is that "addon converter" does some low level "magical" operation on the planes which cannot be replicated by hand, even if it is time consuming.a strange thing is that around the web i found other forums in which users asked the same question i have,and in no case they got a resolutiveanswer..seems like a sort of taboo..byejan

really i don't know what to say.i understand your point, nevertheless i see that "Addon Converter", from flightsim tools does exactly the work i want to do manually,and it does it on the same planes i want to convert too.i used the addon converter demo (full software operation but limited to 10 mins in flight sim) and the planes work, they draw the texture correctly. i'm talking about both payware and freeware addons (afs mig-29, iris f-14 and some freeware nice packages from nor-cal).I even tried to monitor what the program does, and discovered that the textures are saved in a separate cache and converted in .bgl format,(altough they name it to .dat files).i didn't find reference to the .mdl file, but can't exclude it is processed in some way.what i (still) refuse to admit is that "addon converter" does some low level "magical" operation on the planes which cannot be replicated by hand, even if it is time consuming.a strange thing is that around the web i found other forums in which users asked the same question i have,and in no case they got a resolutiveanswer..seems like a sort of taboo..byejan
The bgl format is a format used for scenery.The bgl format has nothing to do with airplanes within flightsimulator.In other words it might be ( I empahsize on " MIGHT " ,it`s a wild guess) the case that this program reproduces planes as a scenery object.Said in other words , planes wich can be used as static opjects on an airfield to enhance the looks of the scenery.( maybe even as AI planes I really do not know)There is no such thing as a converter wich is able to convert FS9 models to models flying under DX10 in FSX.IF,yes IF, there is someone able to write a program wich is really capable of doing that trick , he would be rich in just a fourthnight.Leen

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints

Guest janblanc

hi Leen,thanks for the time you took answering me.. i am skeptical as you in this matter, neverthelessi'd wish you take a look at this software i was talking about:http://www.flightsimtools.com/adconvx/from this webpage you can download the demo version (link on right side).you said an interesting thing before, bgl textures are only used in scenarios. so in some way even the mdl file should be converted to a scenario specific format, if i understood well. surelyi don't know what the effects will be on things like animated parts, but the idea seems nice,fool the sim into thinking its processing scenario instead of a plane..let me know if you try out that tool byeJan

hi Leen,thanks for the time you took answering me.. i am skeptical as you in this matter, neverthelessi'd wish you take a look at this software i was talking about:http://www.flightsimtools.com/adconvx/from this webpage you can download the demo version (link on right side).you said an interesting thing before, bgl textures are only used in scenarios. so in some way even the mdl file should be converted to a scenario specific format, if i understood well. surelyi don't know what the effects will be on things like animated parts, but the idea seems nice,fool the sim into thinking its processing scenario instead of a plane..let me know if you try out that tool byeJan
Hi,I did not try it , because I simply do not beleve , it will work.( and want to keep my system free from garbage)As that is not much of an answer I did some homework and found this review.http://www.avsim.com/pages/0409/Flightsimtools/ACX.htmYou might read the whole review.Just reading this quote might do.>>>>>>>Overall, this is a very good idea for a tool. The problem is that it doesn

forumlogopaintmod.png

Visit Flybike-Paints