Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

A Ghost shuts down my Computer?

A few months ago, I upgraded my computer arrangement, rebuilding to a 64 Bit WinXPPro OS, and an i7975 CPU. I found that I had a few things that did not want to work on the 64 bit system, so also put together a secondary computer with a WinXPPro 32 Bit OS for those purposes. Through WideFS and/or SimConnect the secondary is also implemented for FSC, PFE/Proflight2000, FSM, ASA, AISmooth, and FDC for FS9 and/or FSX.I normally leave everything runing twenty-four hours a day, seven days per week.Everything works swimingly with one odd occurance. Periodically, the secondary computer turns off. So far at least, while it is being used for any program or purpose, it keeps running fine, but when left idle, if I turn my back it may shut down all by itself. This may occur within minutes after being idle, or it may wait until the next day and then shut down. I have "disabled all" startup programs with msconfig and she still does the same thing. I also have searched and tried every combination in the Bios settings I can think of that might affect this with no success.The Motherboard, CPU, and memory were replaced in the secondary computer as listed below. All other hardware remains from the previous setup which never had this problem.Another curious item: I also replaced my wife's computer with the same type of motherboard and CPU for an upgrade, also running WinXPHome, and there is no sign of this issue. The two computers are essentially duplicates.Temperatures are not the problem as everything is relatively cool and there are no demanding programs running.The programs running on the secondary computer are as listed above plus Microsoft Office, Adobe, Nero, Britannica 7.0, Newsoft, PrintMaster16, Quicktime, WinTV, WinZip, and WordSearch8. Note that all of these programs were installed and running fine on the previous computer with similar hardware.I also use Synergy for a common keyboard and mouse which of course is installed on both the primary and secondary computers.For antivirus, the primary computer runs ESET Smart Security 4 (NOD32). The secondary computer uses AVG Free Edition. The issue persists with all firewall, antifvirus, and AntiSpam provisions disabled.The only thing I have not tried yet, which will be next is to shut down my primary computer, and leave the secondary running and see if the issue continues or goes away. I wonder if possibly in some way the primary is shutting down the secondary if it is idle.Any idieas?Respectfully:RTHThe following are my system specs. for each computer. PLEASE do not make cute "everything but the kitchen sink" remarks about my listings as has been done in times past. These documents are saved for obvious reasons and it is just much eaiser to copy them than to make a new condensed list for this post.Primary Computer:ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel ATX MotherboardIntel Core i7-975 Extreme Quad Core CPUScythe SY124010L CPU Fam6GB (3x2GB) 240 Pin DDR3 1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK MemoryWinXP Pro 64 BitEGVA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512 bigt DDR3 Video Graphics Card21

My first thought is: Check your power management settings in the OS and in the BIOS.

This was my first thought as well. I have done that with every combination I can think of. I have "System Standby" and "System hibernates" set to "Never" in the Power Options Properties for Power Schemes under Display Properties and the Screen Saver option.Nothing in my BIOS settings is set to turn anything off.Thanks for the reply.RTH

My first thought is: Check your power management settings in the OS and in the BIOS.

Do you have both computers plugged into the same outlet or the same strip? Maybe try changing that around. Also maybe a PSU problem? It is strange that it only use it when idle, but maybe thats just a coincidence?

Guest althearim
I agree i had also been wondering before and it only turns out im not checking out the power management settings.Regards,althearimOrdinateur portable pas cher