Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Aero Commander - V/C or no V/C?

Given my bandwidth challenges, I've been spying the Aero Commander. Yet I am curious--the V/C package is smaller--why? Do either or both models include virtual wing views? If so, which one?What are the +/-'s of each model--IOTW, why would someone want it w/o a V/C?Thanks,John

Guest Grey_Wolf

Well, the diffrences are pretty basic, one has a VC the other dosnt.The one without a vc has images for each view in the 2D cockpit (I guess this is what you call wing views) so when you look aft port, you'll see a bit of wing etc. I'm not sure wich views are included exactly as I use the one with the VCThe DVC version is smaller because it does not include the extra images needed for looking around from the pilots seat. But, when you look aft port, you'll see the actual wing, engine turning prop etc, the actual model rather than a fixed bitmap image. You clould actually slide your view to the rear seat/ pan around to any view angle you desire.Personally I prefer the DVC for the added versitility, the ability to see from any perspective in any direction. Some people perfer to not have a DVC because they can affect frame rates. In this model the VC is actually just as nice if not better than the 2D panel in overall quality. As for clicking on things, you'll need to revert to the 2D panel, or learn the plethora of key commands available to FS.phew, that was about twice as long a responce as I thought it would be.. Hope I gave you some useful info.

Thanks--you told me exactly what I needed.... The DVC version it is!-John

Guest Milton

Good explanation Grey_Wolf :-)The 2D cockpit panel views are in fact larger than the VC portion of the model and its associated textures. :-)The 2D model in addition to the standard 7 views includes the wings, engines and props, and main gear plus landing lights from the VC model. These fit nicely with the 2D views.For those folks who are using modems and do not have the time or inclination to download 18MB's, I'll be happy to upload a skinny version, one texture, and strip out the not as important documentation, extra model, panel, and textures.This reduces the download to 7MB. I currently have the Pegasus uploaded for your smaller downloads. If you want the other versions separate, with some work, I could do them too.http://www.flightsimonline.com/mas/680small.zip Pegasus VC versionLet me know here.Milton

Milton,Hope you're still hanging around. I've got a question for you. I downloaded 680 with VC and it's a great looking plane and very impressive panel. I have, by todays standards, a slow computer ie: 1.33GhZ Athlon, 512M and a GF4 TI4200 w/128M. I don't have sliders turned too high. My problem is on any external views other than straight ahead my screen turns into a virtual slide show. Same thing in spot view. I have been flying mainly the stock Beech B58 with a customized panel and Steve Small's air file and the stock C182 using Lou Betti's panel and I get by with just a few stutters. I also have a few other payware planes that are acceptable. What could be causing my terminal case of slide show with the 680. Forgot to mention, I also have the 520 and it also does very well

Thanks Milton--that will shave quite a bit of time off of my download!-John

Guest Milton

With that setup you should have absolutely no problems with spot view in anything unless you're hovering over KLAX. :-)I had 30 beta testers with a wide variety of equipment so I do not think the 680 is causing the general issue. It ran fine on my old 350 mhz with a 32meg card.That doesn't mean however that it wouldn't perform poorly on yours. It just seems that your system should be doing a lot better for you generally based on your comments.Why not take this question over to the hardware forum for some tuning input. That card should be screaming for you. :-)Milton

Thanks for the reply Milton, I appreciate it. I have never thought my system was was reaching it's full potential but I just thought it strange that it displayed this kind of reaction to the 680. Must be my hardware since it works fine on processors you mentioned.Still a great looking plane and panel.

Guest Milton

One never knows, but if you find its a 680 issue, let me know and I will correct it. :-)Milton

Milton,I thought an update is in order. Someone said the VC caused a slight hit in FR so for the odd chance that may have something to do with my problem I thought I'd give it a try and downloaded the no VC version.I'm happy to inform that the no VC version works as good as any of my other planes in all outside views including spot view. I can fly it now without the slide show effect. Still don't think my system is doing all it should but at least I can fly the 680 now.