Sign in to follow this  
Guest Pvt_Pilot

FSX will not load

Guest Pvt_Pilot

I have been running FSX in Windows XP (service pack 3) with Saitek yoke and pedals and GoFlight radio modules. My only add-ons are RealAir Beech Duke and Ultimate Terrain USA. A few days ago FSX froze. Everytime I try to restart, the program hangs and never gets passed the logo window. The problem continued after doing FSX repair. Thinking that maybe a hardware failure might be responsible, I disconnected all Saitek and GoFlight equipment. The problem continued. I uninstalled the add-ons and still the problem continued. I finally uninstalled and reinstalled FSX. Although the program claimed everything was successful, it still hangs while loading. What else is there?

Guest Staggerwing
I have been running FSX in Windows XP (service pack 3) with Saitek yoke and pedals and GoFlight radio modules. My only add-ons are RealAir Beech Duke and Ultimate Terrain USA. A few days ago FSX froze. Everytime I try to restart, the program hangs and never gets passed the logo window. The problem continued after doing FSX repair. Thinking that maybe a hardware failure might be responsible, I disconnected all Saitek and GoFlight equipment. The problem continued. I uninstalled the add-ons and still the problem continued. I finally uninstalled and reinstalled FSX. Although the program claimed everything was successful, it still hangs while loading. What else is there?
I understand that a corrupted logbook COULD do such a thing... did you keep the old logbook when you reinstalled?

Guest Pvt_Pilot
I understand that a corrupted logbook COULD do such a thing... did you keep the old logbook when you reinstalled?
Yes, it was the logbook! Thanks.

Just for any future problems, remember this one thing if nothing else...Re-installing FSX or FS9 should never be the first step!Well over 90% of the time it will be a corrupted configuration file, or the logbook file, or... something else.And always, always come here and ask for ideas before reinstalling... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Staggerwing
Great, now remember, don't edit it within FSX at all or it could happen again :(

Guest jshyluk

To be fair, the logbook can get corrupted "on its own". If your computer crashes during flight, your logbook can get corrupted. FSX can even self-corrupt on rare occasions. Fortunately, it's an easy fix, and much easier than re-installing. As Fr. Bill points out, a re-install should be your final option, especially as FSX doesn't always uninstall cleanly. And that can certainly cause problems!Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

As Fr. Bill points out, a re-install should be your final option, especially as FSX doesn't always uninstall cleanly. And that can certainly cause problems!
Jeff, neither FS9 nor FSX ever "uninstall cleanly." The "uninstall" will never remove the configuration files placed in the User's AppData\Roaming folder, nor any other files that are created outside the root folder of FS9 or FSX... :( That is precisely why it makes more sense to check for problems in those locations before doing anything else... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest danc444

I'm having the same problem--FSX will not load. Was ready to uninstall and re-install until I read this thread. I have tried both deleting FS.cfg and renaming the logbook.bin file. The problem persists. Any other ideas, guys?

To be fair, the logbook can get corrupted "on its own". If your computer crashes during flight, your logbook can get corrupted. FSX can even self-corrupt on rare occasions. Fortunately, it's an easy fix, and much easier than re-installing. As Fr. Bill points out, a re-install should be your final option, especially as FSX doesn't always uninstall cleanly. And that can certainly cause problems!Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM
There is a glaring error in the way the routine that updates the logbook calculates the EOF pointer(entry length) when any entry but the last one is edited from within the FSX GUI. If an entry thatis being edited contains a comment, it is almost 100% certain that the logbook will be corruptedsince the entry for that 'entry's length' will be computed incorrectly.I investigated this phenomena way back, pre-SP1 times, and was recovering my corrupted logbook.bin by using a HEXX editor to enter the correct length parameter. This was beforeLamont Clark created his excellent logbook editor and others also created logbook recovery utilities.I do agree that the logbook, like other FSX files, can become corrupted due to other activitieslike a BSOD, but I suspect that the myriad cries for 'help' when FSX hangs on the splash screenare due to a user editing the logbook from within the FSX GUI, not realizing that it is, or shouldbe, a BIG no-no! Paul

Wide-5.jpg

There is a glaring error in the way the routine that updates the logbook calculates the EOF pointer(entry length) when any entry but the last one is edited from within the FSX GUI. If an entry thatis being edited contains a comment, it is almost 100% certain that the logbook will be corruptedsince the entry for that 'entry's length' will be computed incorrectly.I investigated this phenomena way back, pre-SP1 times, and was recovering my corrupted logbook.bin by using a HEXX editor to enter the correct length parameter. This was beforeLamont Clark created his excellent logbook editor and others also created logbook recovery utilities.I do agree that the logbook, like other FSX files, can become corrupted due to other activitieslike a BSOD, but I suspect that the myriad cries for 'help' when FSX hangs on the splash screenare due to a user editing the logbook from within the FSX GUI, not realizing that it is, or shouldbe, a BIG no-no! Paul
Just like any document, drive....etc.......BACKUP.....OFTEN. I have my FSX backed up in at least 3 places. The FSX folder and also all the the files in the MAIN installation drive.Abe

Guest danc444
I'm having the same problem--FSX will not load. Was ready to uninstall and re-install until I read this thread. I have tried both deleting FS.cfg and renaming the logbook.bin file. The problem persists. Any other ideas, guys?
I'm having the same problem--FSX will not load. Was ready to uninstall and re-install until I read this thread. I have tried both deleting FS.cfg and renaming the logbook.bin file. The problem persists. Any other ideas, guys? Sorry, forgot to sign first time around.Dan Cole

Guest jshyluk

What exactly happens when your FSX refuses to load? Not that I have any big magical ideas, but maybe we can narrow the issue down.Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIMP.S. Gahh, I know it's pretty weak sauce to reply to Fr. Bill at this point, but it IS possible to uninstall FSX & FS9 absolutely cleanly. I've done it three times already. All you need to do is physically remove the hard drive that flight sim + OS lives on, replace it with a brand new drive, and replace the programs. As I said, weak sauce, and now I feel low for having finally given in to replying to this.