Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

J41 Altimeter

The J41 Altimeter evidently provides altitude information in metres (the dial) and feet (the numbers in the middle). The needle on the dial seems to move nice and smoothly, but the "hundreds of feet" number in the middle seems to change before it should. For example, when I pass through one thousand feet, you would expect the "tens" to rotate through a full sequence (0-9) before the "hundreds" value moves up to one. However, it switches from "0" to "1" when the "tens" figure has only reached "40". Why does it do that? Am I missing some unique operational feature of the altimeter, whereby it is supposed to do that? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.On a side note, I have successfully assigned a button on my joystick to "reverse propellor pitch". What I would like to know is.....at what speed should I disengage this "reverse thrust"?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

On a side note, I have successfully assigned a button on my joystick to "reverse propellor pitch". What I would like to know is.....at what speed should I disengage this "reverse thrust"?
... as soon as the F/O calls "seventy knots"...(PMDG J41 Pilot Tutorial - Page 92)Alex

Thanks, Alex. Now I just need a reply to the first part of my post :(

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest BlueRidgeDx

I haven't seen the bahavior you describe, nor did anyone else on the beta (to the best of my knowledge). Is it possible that your FS "International" settings are set to "metric" or "hybrid" units?Not that is should make a difference, but make sure you have the altimeter set correctly. Press "B".Are you using any weather addons?

I am using the "metric" scale, but presumably that should mean that the numbers in the middle should be in metres? I am not using any weather addons.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I have just changed my measurement system from "metric" to "US", and now the altimeter works properly. Does anyone else have problems with this instrument when using the metric system?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Guest BlueRidgeDx

Glad you got it narrowed down.I've never set mine to anything other than "US", so I'm not sure what effect it's supposed to have. Do you notice a difference in behavior in the altimeters of any other aircraft when changing this setting?

I have only flown four FSX planes to date.....Cessna 172 (default)Beechcraft Baron (default)Hawker Siddeley 748 (Rick Piper)BAe Jetstream 4100 (PMDG)The first two only have dials, so they don't suffer from any problems. Rick Piper's HS748 has a bar in the centre of the dial that I assume is supposed to numerically display the altitude, but it only has alternate red and grey stripes in it when I use it in FSX.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Rick Piper's HS748 has a bar in the centre of the dial that I assume is supposed to numerically display the altitude, but it only has alternate red and grey stripes in it when I use it in FSX.
You certainly have good taste in aircraft, I love the HS.748 but I cannot use it in FSX because it's a huge frame killer in that for some reason. The red and white stripes across the altimeter are indicative of an electrical failure, make sure you switch to the 2D panel view when you first load in to the HS.748 to ensure it initialises properly.

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I love the HS.748 but I cannot use it in FSX because it's a huge frame killer in that for some reason
The HS748 is fine at most locations for me, although the framerate is definitely lower than the default Baron at heavily detailed airports like Gary Summons' Heathrow Xtreme. I haven't tested the PMDG Jetstream 4100 at the large airports yet, but I'll get to them eventually.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png