Sign in to follow this  

When to use/not use the Heading Bug?

Guest Jim Strenk

Being a rather new user of FS 2002 Pro and VATSIM, I am wondering when I should be using the Heading Bug Indicator Knob.As it now stands, when FS or VATSIM ATC's direct me to a specific heading, I use the Heading Bug Indicator Knob. Is this a correct proceedure?What is the purpose of the Heading Indicator Knob on the left? I see if I move that, heading will also change.Can someone please explain the difference between the Adjustment Knob and the Bug Knob?Thank you in advance for your tips, suggestions and errata! :-newbie

The heading bug is used to steer the ACFT even as you describe.The Adjustment knob on the left is used to align the DI (Direction Indicator) with the Mag compass. The DI is thrown off continually due to gyro-drift (which is simulated if you have it checked in the options). In real aviation this procedure is carried out ever 15 min or at every turn during a cross-country flight as part of the CLEAR checks.Edit: BTW Welcome to the world of Flight Simulation!Fermin - http://fsadventures.net

Guest Jim Strenk

Thank you Fermin for your response.As a follow-up question, how does one accurately set either the heading bug or the Adjustment Knob, or for that matter the VOR 1 or VOR 2 indicator knobs? It there a way to verify the actual value that has been assigned? I can usually get it close just by visual observation, but would like to get it closer to the value that's required. :9>The heading bug is used to steer the ACFT even as you>describe.>>The Adjustment knob on the left is used to align the DI>(Direction Indicator) with the Mag compass. The DI is thrown>off continually due to gyro-drift (which is simulated if you>have it checked in the options). In real aviation this>procedure is carried out ever 15 min or at every turn during a>cross-country flight as part of the CLEAR checks.>>Edit: BTW Welcome to the world of Flight Simulation!>>Fermin - http://fsadventures.net

I know what you mean, visually it's quite hard to get the adjustment down to the degree. Some panels (eg. DreamFleet Archer and Cardinal) also have a digital readout if you click the instrument so you can verify the exact setting.As regards default panels, you can press SHIFT+z to verify you are flying the exact heading. With the VOR1 the autopilot has a CRS (Course) setting and this equates to the VOR1 OBS setting.Fermin - fsadventures.net][/b

Guest Jim Strenk

Thanks again Fermin for your latest reply!I would appear based on your last reply that unless the panel itself has a digital display or someother way to display the value that it holds, you will not always be able to set the value you wish.Unless someone else has a suggestion, it would appear as though, this discussion has run its course. :D >I know what you mean, visually it's quite hard to get the>adjustment down to the degree. Some panels (eg. DreamFleet>Archer and Cardinal) also have a digital readout if you click>the instrument so you can verify the exact setting.>>As regards default panels, you can press SHIFT+z to verify you>are flying the exact heading. With the VOR1 the autopilot has>a CRS (Course) setting and this equates to the VOR1 OBS>setting.>>Fermin ->fsadventures.net][/b