Sign in to follow this  
Dark Moment

Has Mike Stone moved to the White House?

Weren't computers designed to simplify our lives? I thought so, but today I decided that if they were, someone screwed up.Tried to send Mike Stone an email earlier today, just to let him know that I'd knocked up a quick panel for his "Twin Pin" (TWINPANEL.ZIP in the library today, by the way). Many hours later, received an email from a spam blocking company saying I was not on his "White List" (i.e. he hasn't kept my email address in his address book) and I would have to send in authorisation that I really wanted to send him an email. Er, yes, I did. Then some time later again, I get a note from The Spam Busters saying that I was rejected, that I could no longer send him emails, and that all FS stuff must go to his forum. Eh? All rather impolite, but OK, no problem. So I go to www.pmstone.com and try to enter one of his forums. Er, no, you gotta login or register, Dark Moment. OK, this is FSGateway, I think I logged in before. No, that doesn't work. Forgot password? No, but I'll try that .... no, that didn't work either. So I try to join anew, only to be told my passwords don't match. Eh? There's only a slot to enter it once. So I try to "report bugs", only to be told I must log in or register .... AAARRGGGGGGGHHHH!!!!Could our world be a little overcomplex, perhaps? This is only flightsim, not Capitol Hill! And Mike still doesn't have my email. If anyone sees him passing by in his stretch limo, would you knock on the window, please? Or can anyone lend me a carrier pigeon?Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Mark,In fairness to Mike, these things don't sound like his problems, but problems of the systems that many of us have had to put into place to protect ourselves against the junk we're sent. Sadly, those with good intentions get caught up as there's often no human minding the store.I had one user (who didn't care for a response I posted in these forums) email me a virus several months ago. At that point, I closed the gates and now unless a file has no attachments and mentions my work by name, it gets tossed. I doubt Mike has to worry about a stretch limo, but it seems if you release freeware and/or participate in the community, whatever you ride in should be bulletproof... And it's sad it's gotten to that level of complexity. -John

<<>>Not knocking Mike at all, John ... just the complexity of our world today... <<>>Trouble is, they eat up the good stuff too sometimes. I'm a ship broker ... if I missed one critical email, I could be stuffed. So I have to deal with the junk until the ISPs or the Feds do .. so far, only about 60-70 a day and it doesn't take more than a minute to hit the REPORT SPAM button on AOL! My own server and POP3 seems safe so far, thank God ...<<>>>It's not a place for sensitive souls, that's for sure. There are a few in these forums who seem to sit on the fence like vultures waiting for flamebait, that's for sure ... and I know what you mean on the freeware front. It astonishes me that ANYONE can criticise stuff they don't even have to pay for. But that's an old chestnut ..Keep up your own good work, my friend.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Mike also closed the e-mail doors because of tirades of criticism the way he was designing some models. The problem is that many responses were sent via e-mail in spite of the fact a forum is provided.I think on FSGateway you may find if I forgot my password link. You can also register under a new name with a new password and then after verification contact the administrator.Either way, Mike did announce that he would no longer be open to general e-mail but would provide an additional forum exclusively for model requests besides the discussion and news forums.To continue membership on these forums, certain liberal reasonable participation rules must be followed.

Guest H_Kev55

Mark,As Managing Editor of FSGatway I would like to aplogize if you have been having a problem logging in. The site is under construction, but this is the first time I've heard of this problem. I will report it to the webmaster immediately and hopefully you will be able to join Mikes forum in short order.KJhttp://fsgateway.com/frank/fs9paibeta.jpg

Thanks, Kevin. As I said in my email reply to you today, I am sure it's just me; there must be a weekly meeting at Hewlett Packard/Compaq working out ways to stuff Mark Beaumont THIS week. But it's all worth it in the end! If only the wife agreed ....Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest Captain Barfbag

Back to the topic line of the first post...If Mike Stone runs for President, I'll vote for him. His work is consistently excellent, which is more than I can say for any politician I've seen out there, in any party.

Guest crashing_pilot

poor soul...let me help you a bit ;-)"written by mr M Stone"Apologies in advanceI've learned that a long time user of my aircraft has been angered as a result of being snubbed by my e-mail system. I'm still working with the software so that it doesn't throw away the baby with the bath water, but in spite of best efforts, sometimes "Sh*t happens!". To add insult to injury, when directed here he had trouble getting registered and logging on, which the FSG gang is working on.SOOOOOOOOO....If you manage to get this far Mark you will find apologies waiting in advance. Even if you did have to go to the Whitehouse to get it. that says it all i trust ;-)

Guest crashing_pilot

you're welcome mate,Stone for President !!!kind regards

Guest cw1011

I can't agree more on the complexity issue. Just peruse the PMDG forum, or check the Captain Sim archives around the time the three-holer was released. The choices of security software and protocol made by both of these companies has made buying these products far more difficult than it has to be. And I for one am turned off by having to wait for access codes to be sent, being asked to do three cartwheels and somersault in front of my digital camera and then finish with the secret handshake....If Flight One can engineer an instantaneous and fully automated purchase system, why not these two excellent companies?Colin

Guest crashing_pilot

er....cos they're stoepid,and flight1 isn't??... nah... that can't be right.....:-sun1 ... i know!!because some businessman tricked them into buying that stuff??.................................nah...cant be right either.......:-sun1 ... i know!! :-jumpy .... but i won't tell .... hehehe

Dark Moment,Re your problem logging onto FS Gateway - I had a similar problem last month and discovered the kids had been playing with my dates in Windows and the forum's security system won't allow you in if the date /time is wrong by about 15 minutes. My date had ben changed by a year!