Sign in to follow this  
Guest Longyear

FS Passengers X - shocked with crew comments!

Guest Longyear

As a long time user and supporter of FSP for FS9, I decided that I was missing FSP now that I only use FSX for simming, so I bought FSP-X last week.At first I was quite happy with the product - until I selected some of the alternative crew voices and was shocked to here that the realistic comments and texts I was used to have been replaced by some distasteful, comedic announcements, attempting at humour.For example, I can't remember the voice set name from the top of my head but one male FA makes constant references to "...bombs and exposives being on board the aircraft" and that in the event of and an accident "kiss your &@($* goodbye".I really found these announcement awful - this is not why I choose to 'sim', and I am so surprised that Daniel Polli has taken this approach, given all the effort he has put in to FSP in the past, on making it a REALISTIC ambience programme.I tried a further voice set and found MORE of these 'comical' but distasteful announcements. The remaining 2 or 3 sets were ok and consisted of realistic announements.Some people may like this sort of thing and I don't object to things like this being available to download as a seperate user download but for these types of announcement to be part of the main package shocked me.I will leave you with a final example of one of the distasteful and inappropriate announcements from the FA, in one of the FSPX voice sets that come with the main product;-

"Please ensure you take all your belongings with you when leaving the plane. Any firearms, bombs or explosives left behind are mine!".
:( Davido.

Guest Mower

Err, yeah.I have FSP for FS9 and FSX.I have heard those comments and others. Like the flight attendent telling me how wasted she got the night before...grounds for termination I suspect.I am not offended. Nor losing any sleep over it.Not sure why you are.Of course we all see things differently etc.But it leads me to wonder what other trivial issues concern you?Chill my friend.Right, carry on.

As a long time user and supporter of FSP for FS9, I decided that I was missing FSP now that I only use FSX for simming, so I bought FSP-X last week.At first I was quite happy with the product - until I selected some of the alternative crew voices and was shocked to here that the realistic comments and texts I was used to have been replaced by some distasteful, comedic announcements, attempting at humour.For example, I can't remember the voice set name from the top of my head but one male FA makes constant references to "...bombs and exposives being on board the aircraft" and that in the event of and an accident "kiss your &@($* goodbye".I really found these announcement awful - this is not why I choose to 'sim', and I am so surprised that Daniel Polli has taken this approach, given all the effort he has put in to FSP in the past, on making it a REALISTIC ambience programme.I tried a further voice set and found MORE of these 'comical' but distasteful announcements. The remaining 2 or 3 sets were ok and consisted of realistic announements.Some people may like this sort of thing and I don't object to things like this being available to download as a seperate user download but for these types of announcement to be part of the main package shocked me.I will leave you with a final example of one of the distasteful and inappropriate announcements from the FA, in one of the FSPX voice sets that come with the main product;- :( Davido.
Just turn them off then. I'm not at my main PC just now, so can't be 100% sure how. I believe those comments are an OPTIONAL item?Crikey! Get a life :(

Guest Longyear

Nice one Chris, :( Hey look, I didn't say it was causing me to lose sleep did I ?After all, what are the point in any posts we make here in AVSIM, it's a hobby isn't it, so everything is pretty arbitrary when it comes to real life!The point I was trying to make was that what used to appear to be a program that added realistic cabin announcements and immersiveness to the sim, seems to have evolved into a bit of a joke. I'm really not a mega serious person, as you've made out in your post above! ....... but I just didn't expect flight attendants with a suicidal obsession on explosives.Consider it a different way; What about if the Level D 757 was released and it looked amazing but at 25,000 feet, two huge rockets appeared on the undercarriage and it immediately flew to Mars, where a human/marsian conflict occured, which the 757 won using a powerful laser mounted on the radome! :( Davido.

Guest Longyear
Just turn them off then. I'm not at my main PC just now, so can't be 100% sure how. I believe those comments are an OPTIONAL item?Crikey! Get a life :(
Take it easy Phil, jeez I was the first to welcome you back to the hobby a week ago, after your illness (other thread) and now you're talking to me like something irritating stuck to your shoe.You can't turn the 'funny' announcements off in FSPX, without turning all FA announcements off, which isn't the intention here.I only gave a view in the original post, I expected some opposing comments like "oh I quite like them", etc, but I didn't expect "get a life" insults, and especially not from you Phil.

As a long time user and supporter of FSP for FS9, I decided that I was missing FSP now that I only use FSX for simming, so I bought FSP-X last week.At first I was quite happy with the product - until I selected some of the alternative crew voices and was shocked to here that the realistic comments and texts I was used to have been replaced by some distasteful, comedic announcements, attempting at humour.For example, I can't remember the voice set name from the top of my head but one male FA makes constant references to "...bombs and exposives being on board the aircraft" and that in the event of and an accident "kiss your &@($* goodbye".I really found these announcement awful - this is not why I choose to 'sim', and I am so surprised that Daniel Polli has taken this approach, given all the effort he has put in to FSP in the past, on making it a REALISTIC ambience programme.I tried a further voice set and found MORE of these 'comical' but distasteful announcements. The remaining 2 or 3 sets were ok and consisted of realistic announements.Some people may like this sort of thing and I don't object to things like this being available to download as a seperate user download but for these types of announcement to be part of the main package shocked me.I will leave you with a final example of one of the distasteful and inappropriate announcements from the FA, in one of the FSPX voice sets that come with the main product;- :( Davido.
I for one completely agree with you. I owned fsp for fs9 and thought it was great, I use fsx now and have not bought it, Im quite surprised. I like to keep it realistic, I think thats the whole point of simulation. FSX has really attracted the low brow gamer audience who probably love that sort of thing, and your comment about the leveld 757 on a mission to mars has probably got them drooling. :(

Guest Longyear

Thanks Ian, I really appreciate the support. I don't expect everyone to agree with my view but it's still a valid view. People don't need to tell me to get a life. It wasn't a moral standpoint I was making; it was exactly as you've stated in your post; about realism in FSX!Cheers,D.

The one that you're quoting is the military themed pack, I believe. It's not really meant for "civilian travel". I'm quite certain that if you were on an actual military transport, you would not be hearing lines like those told by Southwest FAs. It's one of 5 or so default voice packs, and one of who-knows-how-many additional voice packs you can download from the FSPax site. If you don't like it, change it back and/or download some other ones.

10290.jpg

generate-signature-new-2.php?login=USA1205

The one that you're quoting is the military themed pack, I believe. It's not really meant for "civilian travel". I'm quite certain that if you were on an actual military transport, you would not be hearing lines like those told by Southwest FAs. It's one of 5 or so default voice packs, and one of who-knows-how-many additional voice packs you can download from the FSPax site. If you don't like it, change it back and/or download some other ones.
I was going to say the same thing. The whole pack I believe its 'Chip military loader' seems to be themed around troop carrying not civilian flying. Having been on a few of those flights in my life I'd say its somewhat tame :( I will say some of the FA's comments in other sets are more annoying then offensive '"Are we there yet?" & "I'm soooo bored" etc... I have found replacements on the FSP site and even tried my hand at making my own which BTW is pretty easy to do!

Nice one Chris, :( Hey look, I didn't say it was causing me to lose sleep did I ?After all, what are the point in any posts we make here in AVSIM, it's a hobby isn't it, so everything is pretty arbitrary when it comes to real life!The point I was trying to make was that what used to appear to be a program that added realistic cabin announcements and immersiveness to the sim, seems to have evolved into a bit of a joke. I'm really not a mega serious person, as you've made out in your post above! ....... but I just didn't expect flight attendants with a suicidal obsession on explosives.Consider it a different way; What about if the Level D 757 was released and it looked amazing but at 25,000 feet, two huge rockets appeared on the undercarriage and it immediately flew to Mars, where a human/marsian conflict occured, which the 757 won using a powerful laser mounted on the radome! :( Davido.

I for one completely agree with you. I owned fsp for fs9 and thought it was great, I use fsx now and have not bought it, Im quite surprised. I like to keep it realistic, I think thats the whole point of simulation. FSX has really attracted the low brow gamer audience who probably love that sort of thing, and your comment about the leveld 757 on a mission to mars has probably got them drooling. :(
There are some airlines that do try to ham it up recently, (Southwest comes to mind) so this may not be so unrealistic as you would think!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Guest jshyluk

WestJet also had a policy of having the cabin crew tell jokes. Unfortunately, the number of good jokes eventually got outstripped by the number of flights WestJet flies. Judging by the quality of their material now, WestJet may have been directed to use their jokes as a means of clearing out the aircraft in the event of an emergency. The flight attendant says, "Knock, knock. Who's there?", which is the cue for us passengers to scramble out of the plane as if it were on fire.Personally, I do appreciate WestJet's humour. Some other nameless Canadian airlines I fly also play jokes, but those are more the lines of "Knock, knock. Who's there? Not your luggage, mate." Humour in flight sim is subjective. Sometimes it does go over the line of good taste. I don't see a problem in discussing that in AVSIM. If and when I find something like that in a Review, I will certainly make mention of it. I guess, though, I would choose to leave the judgement of the quality of the humour to the readers. "This is what I found, how you feel about it is up to you", that kind of thing. At least, that's what I try for. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

FSX has really attracted the low brow gamer audience who probably love that sort of thing, and your comment about the leveld 757 on a mission to mars has probably got them drooling. :(
Ian, I sympathize with you and Davido, but that comment is a bit of a stretch... I can't see how FSX contained anything which would disproportionately attrach the "gamer" element. Hmmm, well... okay, the missions system might have done that. In any case, from the sounds of it, the substance of the proffered humor is lame at best.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

You forgot the line from Airplane when you can hear Joey answering "I've never even been in an airplane before" when asked if he had ever been in a cockpit.

Still, I wish I could turn off the "funny" comments. It's annoying when you're trying to listen to ATC or on time compression.