Sign in to follow this  
gman!

How to Add Addon Scenery in Windows 7!

There is a bug with Windows Explorer and Flight Simulator X because of its difference to Vista and XP.To add addon scenery in FSX follow these steps.

1. Go to the "Scenery Library" in the "Settings" Menu
  2. Browse to the folder you want to add and hit 'OK'
  3. The addon scenery that you have selected will not be added, instead it will advance inside the directory. To add the scenery LEFT click on any blank space inside the folder, and the windows should close. You should now see the addon scenery selected in the scenery library!
  4. Go fly and enjoy the performance on Windows 7!! :(

This may also work on FS9, but I do not have it, so I am not exactly sure.

No offense, but I tried your method and was a little unclear/confusing, that's why I posted this one.
No offense, but it isn't that confusing.After you navigate to the scenery folder that you're looking to add, click OK, then click the UP ONE LEVEL button up top.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, MSI VENTUS 3x OC RTX 3070 8 GB, 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz, 1 TB NVMe SSD, 1 TB HDD, Sharp 43" 4KTV

No offense, but it isn't that confusing.After you navigate to the scenery folder that you're looking to add, click OK, then click the UP ONE LEVEL button up top.
I tried but it did not work for me... :(

I tried but it did not work for me... :(
Hi, unfortunately I have the same problem, bit annoying considering it makes adding scenery extremely difficult. I hope Microsoft can find a fix for this.VR Todd

ATP MEL

Commercial SEL

B-747, BE-300, BE-400, DHC8, ERJ 170/190, MU-300

C-17A Globemaster III

Hi, unfortunately I have the same problem, bit annoying considering it makes adding scenery extremely difficult. I hope Microsoft can find a fix for this.VR Todd
Microsoft doesn't really care about this, for sure.

Microsoft doesn't really care about this, for sure.
Probably not, but after a lot of trial and error I've found that the issue lies with the permission settings etc.. I've tried to manipulate the scenery file directly and get access denied messages and Win 7 will not let me save changes. Ever since I've installed Win 7 I've had little or no control of my computer. I've tried changing my account settings/permissions with no success. I may just go back to XP, Win 7 is just too frustrating for me.Cheers,Todd

ATP MEL

Commercial SEL

B-747, BE-300, BE-400, DHC8, ERJ 170/190, MU-300

C-17A Globemaster III

Probably not, but after a lot of trial and error I've found that the issue lies with the permission settings etc.. I've tried to manipulate the scenery file directly and get access denied messages and Win 7 will not let me save changes. Ever since I've installed Win 7 I've had little or no control of my computer. I've tried changing my account settings/permissions with no success. I may just go back to XP, Win 7 is just too frustrating for me.Cheers,Todd
To turn off and completely remove the permission errors, all you have to do the Control Panel and search "UAC" to turn User Access Control off. It is probably the first thing you should do on Windows Vista or 7 to reduce headaches. Even with UAC off you still have to click the blank space in the window for the scenery to add...
  • Upvote 1

To turn off and completely remove the permission errors, all you have to do the Control Panel and search "UAC" to turn User Access Control off. It is probably the first thing you should do on Windows Vista or 7 to reduce headaches. Even with UAC off you still have to click the blank space in the window for the scenery to add...
Gman-thanks!! I just got my new system two days ago and this was driving me crazy!

Gman-thanks!! I just got my new system two days ago and this was driving me crazy!
Sorry, I haven't been on the forum for a long time, high school has me locked down :(. Your welcome. :( I was a bit frustrated with Windows 7 too, at first from Vista, but everyday I'm learning something and improving it! My performance was a little worse at first which is weird, but its getting better.

Thanks. Very helpful. You may have prevented a complete nervous breakdown. Amazing how Microsoft can't make there own programs work in there operating system.

Art

Thanks. Very helpful. You may have prevented a complete nervous breakdown. Amazing how Microsoft can't make there own programs work in there operating system.
No problem! I agree, :(, but sometimes to make things better you have to take out older features :(

There is a bug with Windows Explorer and Flight Simulator X because of its difference to Vista and XP.To add addon scenery in FSX follow these steps.
  1. Go to the "Scenery Library" in the "Settings" Menu
  2. Browse to the folder you want to add and hit 'OK'
  3. The addon scenery that you have selected will not be added, instead it will advance inside the directory. To add the scenery LEFT click on any blank space inside the folder, and the windows should close. You should now see the addon scenery selected in the scenery library!
  4. Go fly and enjoy the performance on Windows 7!! :(

This may also work on FS9, but I do not have it, so I am not exactly sure.

When you say go to "Scenery Library" and etc are you talking about inside FSX or Windows Explorer, because I seem to be having a very difficult time adding scenery since switching to Win 7 Richard

Richard Spencer

Churchill

PVT SEL

GYSGT

USMC (ret)

When you say go to "Scenery Library" and etc are you talking about inside FSX or Windows Explorer, because I seem to be having a very difficult time adding scenery since switching to Win 7 Richard
Go to this thread -http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=205432It will show you, step by step, with pictures how to add scenery in Win 7.There is a "bug" in Win 7 which stops you from adding scenery like we used to do in FS2004.