Sign in to follow this  
gman!

How to Add Addon Scenery in Windows 7!

Post removed due  to already been  discussed  already my suggestion  

• Upvote 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

The problem still sems to exist in 2013! I'm trying to add Compton Abbas, UK ( an Avsim free download. I've down I've downloaded it  OK and it is in FSX files. Trouble is I can't get it from there into the scenery library. I've followed the instructions that came with it but to no avail. I tried to follow gman's method but there is no "OK" in the FSX file page. I don't know if it's significant but when I turn on FSX I get this message box, "SCENERY, CFG file error, Invalid Remote scenery path in scenery Area 115, Click OK to continue." I click OK and get the same for Area 116 and 117. After clicking OK on those as well FSX opens. There is of course no instruction on what to do about these errors! Any help would be appreciated. ( I am a non-tech person so please be gentle!)

Some person in Australia getting my post removed without any answer is no help at all!

Did you click anywhere in the white  box  as suggest by the op,  I had   a similar  problem like yours    check this thread  out  read from post 28 onwards

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/399905-ybcg-gold-coast-airport-released/page-2

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Thanks for trying to help Pete, yes I have tried that but nothing seems to get past the "Look in Flight Simulator X " stage. If I hover over addon Scenery the grey box shows "egha.compton abbas" but double clicking just gets me "scenery" and "texture". Double clicking (or single) on "scenery" just gets me "No items match your search." When I click on OK to leave the Scenery Library, FSX stops responding and freezes. I still wonder about those error messages I mentioned on opening up but I haven't a clue how to deal with them. Do I need to uninstall FSX and re-install? Has anyone any suggestions please. By the way, I want to use the add on scenery for Compton because I fly from there in real life as a ppl student and the FSX standard scenery looks nothing like it!

Hmmm   maybe its  a bad  download of the file  or  a corrupted  version,  wonder if  any  one  else   tried  the  file  you  trying to use?   Don't think  doing  a  re install of  fsx is  going  to help

Peter kelberg

I downloaded the file from Avsim Library (3rd attempt but that was my fault!). I had previously downloaded and installed Flying Club's PA 28 Warrior aircraft without any problem. However, come to think of it, those scenery error messages started appearing after that. Coincidence? 

not  really you could  try  uninstalling the pa28  warrior,  and  than install the scenery  than re install   the  pa28

Peter kelberg

That makes a lot of sense, thanks Pete! Why didn't I think of doing that? Actually when I bought the PA28 I bought the disc as well as the download so maybe I'll wait for that to arrive before re-installing it.

Don't thank me  yet lol you still havnt  installed the scenery yet,  you still might get  the errors, if  you do  than you know its not  the  aircraft  that was causing  it

Peter kelberg

HELP! I am experiencing the same problem, but following your steps has not worked. Here's what I'm doing and seeing step-by-step:

1- From FSX opening screen click "Scenery Library" button - takes me to Scenery Library screen and scenery layer hierarchy.

2- Click "Add Scenery" button which pops-up a Windows dialog box for selecting the scenery folder.

3- Within dialog box locate and select (with only single click) desired addon scenery folder. Click OK - Nothing happens.

4- Left click in white area - nothing happens

5- Try entire sequence again but do not click OK - just left click in white area - nothing happens.

6- Try everything yet again and right click in the white area - a menu pops up at the cursor arrow with some Windows task selections, but nothing FSX.

As I click through the various folders to locate the scenery I wish to add, I notice that the file path field the dialog box remains blank rather than automatically filling in the file path as I go. When I reach and click on the desired addon scenery folder, it still remains blank. I tried manually entering the file path in the dialog box but still nothing. If I double click the scenery folder I'm trying to add, two sub folders, "scenery" and "texture" appear. Opening either of them shows blank dialog box screen with "No Matching Files Found" (or something close to that) message at top.

I'm running FSX Acceleration with Win7 64 bit OS. No other problems with FSX. Any assistance and/or wisdom appreciated.

I use a utility called SceneryConfigEditor - http://sourceforge.net/projects/fs-sceditor/.  No problems adding or removing scenery.  In fact, it also looks for errors every time you start it up.  It's freeware.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Can't get it to install correctly!!

Error Message:

"Can't Write: C:\ProgramFiles\SceneryConfigEditor\lib64\swt-win64-4.3.0.jar"

Disabled virus protection but didn't help.

Any ideas?

Looks like maybe you still have User Account Control turned on. It does a lot of unhappy things with anything in Program Files directories.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case