Sign in to follow this  
gman!

How to Add Addon Scenery in Windows 7!

Go to this thread -http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=205432It will show you, step by step, with pictures how to add scenery in Win 7.There is a "bug" in Win 7 which stops you from adding scenery like we used to do in FS2004.
OOPS - minor typo -The last line should have read.........There is a "bug" in Win 7 which stops you from adding scenery like we used to do in XP or Vista.

Guest DjJaseb

Thanks a lot, gman! It works! You saved my brain from overheating :(

This is really baffling me. I followed the instructions (they were great) and it worked for those downloads that were available. What I don't understand is that most of the downloads I have placed in the add scenery folder don't show up. I know they are there because I go into the folder though windows explorer and they are there but not when I go in the FSX program. HELP.Richard Churchill

Richard Spencer

Churchill

PVT SEL

GYSGT

USMC (ret)

Hi FS,I recently changed to W7. I cannot download add-on aircraft onto FSX. In XP it was simple. In W7 I cannot find FSX files. Can you help??Zorba1 :(

Hi FS,I recently changed to W7. I cannot download add-on aircraft onto FSX. In XP it was simple. In W7 I cannot find FSX files. Can you help??Zorba1 :(
Airplanes is FSX (regardless of the Operating Sustem) are normally placed here:C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\AirplanesThat assumes you installed FSX in the default location on your C drive.Hope that helps.

Guest Andrea_DSDG
Ever since I've installed Win 7 I've had little or no control of my computer. I've tried changing my account settings/permissions with no success. I may just go back to XP, Win 7 is just too frustrating for me.Cheers,Todd
Me too.... win 7 is a nice O.S., but it is just nice if you use a pc only to chat or open facebook..... if you have to work it is really hard.... just absurd I can't do what I want on MY pc..... you don't have control on nothing..... anyway, to manually add a scenery this trick is ok, but when installing a scenery with auto-add function win7 falls again.... I have Windows 7 with FS2004, when installing a scenery with auto-add function, they add their own lines in the scenery.cfg located in the main Fs9 Folder, but I noticed that under windows 7 this scenery.cfg file is useless in fact if you open it you can find only the default sceneries even if you have added a lot of other sceneries..... and the auto added sceneries.....So I thought that there should be another scenery.cfg file somewhere..... I found it in this folder: "C:\Users\Andrea\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\"what the hell is this VirtualStore folder??????? and why FS2004 library refer t this file?? is there a way to tell Fs2004 to point at the scenery.cfg located in the main fs9 folder??Windows 7 really is driving me crazy......

Guest lucky123

That is really looking cool....

Guest tony642321

I have tried this with FS2004.It doesn't work in FS2004 because you have to restart the whole game, which deletes it for some reason. Whereas FSX loads new scenery without re-starting the game.

I have tried this with FS2004.It doesn't work in FS2004 because you have to restart the whole game, which deletes it for some reason. Whereas FSX loads new scenery without re-starting the game.
After it did "take" in the Scenery Library dialogue screen, did you hit OK?You must do that and then after the screen comes up again you can exit FS2004 (which has always been required) and it should rebuild the scenery index properly when you restart it.It works just fine for me in Win 7.I do have UAC (User Account Control) turned off and have full permisssions granted to FS2004 and all it's subfolders plus I run FS2004 as "Adminstrator".

I have FS2004 running on a 64bit PC with Windows 7, and this workaround has managed to resolve a problem i've been scratching my head about for weeks! I found that as soon as i had navigated to the place i had saved the add on, i clicked on the name of the 'parent' folder for the add on (e.g. 'Barcelona') and clicked OK, it opened up the 'parent' folder where i could see the 'Texture folder' and the 'Scenery' folder... i just clicked anywhere on the white /blank part of the 'parent' folder but NOT on the Scenery or Texture sub folders, and immediately my 'Barcelona' add on appeared at the top of the list of added areas. It was then just a case of moving the add on down the hierarchy, saving and re-starting FS2004. As i've tried all sorts over the weeks to get the add ons working, one tip that i found invaluable over the weeks was to set a temporary 'Parent' folder on my desktop with empty Texture and Scenery folders within, and then unzip to those specifically. Some add-ons i have come across seem to have zips within zips, and folders within folders, so this make sure that the actual .BGL and bitmap files are exactly where they need to be.:(

I'm getting close to making the jump from XP to Win 7.I'm still using FS2004 because of my financial commitment in FS2004.On payware scenery ie Aerosoft, the installer usually installs the scenery itself into its own aerosoft folder within FS2004.Is this still the case with Win 7 or do you need to use this new method. So in payware cases you need to unzip into a new folder and manually install as described in this thread.Ive so much scenery installed in XP I keep putting off moving to Win 7 because of these reasons. thanks Steve

• Upvote 1

To turn off and completely remove the permission errors, all you have to do the Control Panel and search "UAC" to turn User Access Control off. It is probably the first thing you should do on Windows Vista or 7 to reduce headaches. Even with UAC off you still have to click the blank space in the window for the scenery to add...
To turn off UAC do I just move the slider to the bottom?Dave F.

Hi Guys, Yes it also works with FS9. I usually go down another level which shows me the scenery and texture files and then just cancel out of it and you will see your addon at the top of the addon scenery list.

There is a bug with Windows Explorer and Flight Simulator X because of its difference to Vista and XP.To add addon scenery in FSX follow these steps.
  1. Go to the "Scenery Library" in the "Settings" Menu
  2. Browse to the folder you want to add and hit 'OK'
  3. The addon scenery that you have selected will not be added, instead it will advance inside the directory. To add the scenery LEFT click on any blank space inside the folder, and the windows should close. You should now see the addon scenery selected in the scenery library!
  4. Go fly and enjoy the performance on Windows 7!! :(

This may also work on FS9, but I do not have it, so I am not exactly sure.

I cannot get this working at all. I am left clicking on the empty white space all around and it won't close at all. I am using Win 7 64 bit Ultimate.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

The problem still sems to exist in 2013! I'm trying to add Compton Abbas, UK ( an Avsim free download. I've down I've downloaded it  OK and it is in FSX files. Trouble is I can't get it from there into the scenery library. I've followed the instructions that came with it but to no avail. I tried to follow gman's method but there is no "OK" in the FSX file page. I don't know if it's significant but when I turn on FSX I get this message box, "SCENERY, CFG file error, Invalid Remote scenery path in scenery Area 115, Click OK to continue." I click OK and get the same for Area 116 and 117. After clicking OK on those as well FSX opens. There is of course no instruction on what to do about these errors! Any help would be appreciated. ( I am a non-tech person so please be gentle!)