Sign in to follow this  
dallyborr

Landing lights...and fog

Ok, first of all i've changed spotlight.bmp in Texture folder, but when its foggy, i still see those triangle looking light beam. For example, on ARIANE 737, i don't see them, but on every PMDG plane 737,747,MD11, it's there. Is there any other texture that i have to change, to get rid of those triangles looking landing lights?Sometimes, when it's fog, and night time i don't even see runway and taxiway....thanks!

• Upvote 1

Have you tried Nicks Lights Fix?Nicks_Lightfix_V2.zipIn the library here....

Yeah, i do...also, indigo stuff, FS elemental...there is no "spotlight.bmp" i didn't try.Here is visibility 30mile , lights are the same...84209757.th.jpgSame lights/texture, same position, 1 mile vis. FOG!33982934.th.jpgFrom the outside, again vis. 30, same plane, same lights...82775386.th.jpg...1 mile again, FOG... :( 29166500.th.jpgSee what i'm talking about?

I can't help you with your problem as I have the exact same thing.But I wanted to ask, what lights are you using for the runway...they look fantastic.

Dallybor,The best fix for your Problem is the Payware 3D Redux lights. They cast light into 3D space so you don't get that weird triangle effect your talking about. I created my own custom file for the PMDG MD11 and there are others on there forums www.shockwaveproductions.com/forum/viewforum Another cool feature is that when flying at night through thick clouds your landing lights will light up the clouds in front of you like in the real world. I should add that in the real world during heavy fog general practice is to leave the lights off as it can cause disorientation to the flight crew.

Rob Prest

Thanks for replays, a matter of fact i do have shockwave lights installed, bud didn't put them jet on MD11. @red1: And for the runway lights, it is custom made halo.bmp just send it to you via PM.

Hi.Sorry, but you still DO get that horrible triangle thingy on the ground even when using the Shockwave lights.I have tried allsorts as well.If someone has a config without it, then please post the lights section in here.Thanks.

Hi.Sorry, but you still DO get that horrible triangle thingy on the ground even when using the Shockwave lights.I have tried allsorts as well.If someone has a config without it, then please post the lights section in here.Thanks.
But you don't (at least, I don't) get it if using Nick's Light Fix v2 mentioned above.The instructions with it detail how to modify add-on aircraft that do not use MS's "proper" lights too. I can't speak for the MD11 but this should cover most possibilities.John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Hi.Thanks John. Going to give it a try.Thanks for the heads up matey.

I put, again, Nicks lights...same thing during foggy weather, no change at all. Except that those triangles are blue now, instead of white.

Hi there- I don't have that problem at all when foggy or at nightime, but unfortunately, I do get those triangle-shaped beams when it's dusk.(totally ruins plane-spotting at dusk for me) I'm hoping someone with the knowledge can help us out with a fix or something.(I also tried Nicks light fix v2 with no luck)-Tim

-certified speed-junkie and jet-junkie.

I put, again, Nicks lights...same thing during foggy weather, no change at all. Except that those triangles are blue now, instead of white.
Hi there- I don't have that problem at all when foggy or at nightime, but unfortunately, I do get those triangle-shaped beams when it's dusk.(totally ruins plane-spotting at dusk for me) I'm hoping someone with the knowledge can help us out with a fix or something.(I also tried Nicks light fix v2 with no luck)-Tim
Hi chaps, I am puzzled by this. I have re-checked and certainly do not get that at dusk. I've no experience of setting up specific weather conditions so without "real world" fog I'm not able to check that but I suppose it could be FS being very clever and trying to reproduce that throw-back that you get in bad fog.The shape of the beam is defined by the lightmap in the file spotlight.bmp. This is all that "Nick's" files change for landing lights so I can't see why things change in certain circumstances. Here is what his readme file says:Most people already know the simulator is terrible at rendering lighting FX. Landing lights are very, very difficult to design so they look good on every single aircraft. The problem is Microsoft designed 1 bitmap file for all aircraft landing and taxi lights and expected the simulator to render the lights correctly in every circumstance

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

Anybody know how FS make that fog anyway? I mean, does it use some textures or what. I think it's not problem in spotlight texture but in that thing or whatever that make fog, some alpha channel or something.