Sign in to follow this  
dallyborr

Landing lights...and fog

Of course it is possible to leave out any part when compiling. What is nearly impossible to accomplish however is removing a specific part after the compilation... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I realize this is an old post, but this issue has bothered me for years and I wanted to share how I fixed the bright white triangles on the ground when fog is present.1. Make a backup of your AI .mdl file.2. Use a hex editor and search for hex string: 220039000E0090 and change it to 220000000E0090. Replace all occurrences of hex string 220039000E0090 to 220000000E0090.3. Do this for all your AI models.I'm very happy with the result. Gone are the bright white triangles of AI taxing in fog.RJ

• Upvote 1

Hi RJThanks for this resurrection of the old thread, I am using Shockwave lights and have been trying to solve this problem for a while, I am using a Hex editor and looking for the Hex-Values you have written down in your post. However when I select replace I am getting the following message The Pattern "220000000E0090" contains invalid Hex values, why would this be?Many ThanksNic

This is definitely a problem I'd love to fix as well. It really does detract from the otherwise tremendous realism of the Shockwave lights for AI. I will be watching this thread and hope the fix can be made to work. Question - where would one obtain a "hex editor" that is user friendly for a non-programmer like me and if possible, is freeware?

@Nic Not sure what "invalid Hex values" means, maybe the software you're using cannot find that hex string or you typed it wrong?I just started converting all my AI, so I have not tested this technique on all my AI models.What model are you working with?The key might be to search for HEX 22003900 and change the 39 to 00. However if you change the 4th occurrence to 00, you'll have no model. So trial and error is required, however I'm having very good success...RJ

wow, looking very impressive... Keep us updated, I may have to follow suit...

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

This is the one I downloaded todayhttp://download.cnet...4-10891068.htmlHope it is of use to youRegardsNic
Thanks Nic. I may hold off trying it until I hear that you've got things working with this program... So let us know if you solve the problem and it starts to workCheers mateIan
Fixed the MD-82 now.RJ
RJ - these look fantastic! Is this something that needs to be done on an individual basis or is it possible to share the fixed files so we're not all repeating the same process. I am sure A2A and AIA would be willing to allow the files to be shared and might even host the downloads on their web sites?It's not that I'm unwilling to replicate the process as it definitely looks like it's worth doing. But if people with limited computer skills like me don't have to do it all, that would be really great and I am quite certain it would be a very popular downloadCheersIan

Question....If going from 39 to 00 results in the ground not being lit by the lights at all is there a middle ground like 19 or 09 for example that would produced a more subdued ground lighting or does it not work like that?Thanks in advance,-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Hi RJ,You write:2. Use a hex editor and search for hex string: 220039000E0090 and change it to 220000000E0090. Replace all occurrences of hex string 220039000E0090 to 220000000E0090.However, in a later posting you note: look for the hex string: 220039000 but be careful not to delete the 4th occurrence (or you'll have no model). Using Hex Workshop 4.2 I can find the hex string: 220039000E0090 a total of 5 times in one particular AI model. Are you still saying to change each and every instance, or should one stop at the 4th?Enquiring minds 'n all.TIARegards,Dorian

First let me say, I'm no expert at editing mdl files and have next to little knowledge what I'm actually doing to the model itself by changing these values.This is really a trial and error thing at this point but wanted to share with people what I stumbled on.Searching for hex string "22003900" and changing the 39 to 38 (on the 2nd occurrence only) has been posted before and is used to remove the virtual cockpit and retain the landing lights (as seen from inside the cockpit). It was also noted that changing the 39 to 00 removes both the VC and the landing lights as seen from inside the cockpit. So I started playing with one AI and searched for hex string "22003900" and experimented.What I found is this:For Aardvark AI:Search for Hex string 220039000E0090 and for all occurrences change it to: 220000000E0090 (changing 39 to 00) will remove the landing/taxi light effect. Doing this change has had no effect visually on any model thus far.I changed an AI Evolve A320-200 IAE using the same technique above ok.For the CDAI AI CRJ200 the above technique didn't work. In the case of the CDAI AI CRJ200 I had to do this:Search for all occurrences of hex string: 22003900 and change all occurrences to: 22000000.I think with GMAX aircraft, the technique searching for 220039000E0090 should work on all (I think).@Ian I suspect this would have to be done individually, because the mdl of the AI aircraft were not created by me, and I think it would be wrong to re-upload other peoples work. That said, I really don't know what these changes are really doing to the AI, so it's by no means a real fix. Ideally I wonder if the developer has the ability to remove this landing/taxi light effect? I'm sure at this point, many AI modelers will not change old work..@ psolk I really can't answer that question at this point, but may try and see what happens.@ ZK_LGD If you did a search on hex string "220039000E0090", and found 5, then using the replace function, search for and replace all 5 occurrences. As for the 4th occurrence question, if you search the mdl file using hex string "22003900" and change the forth occurrence to "22000000", then the model becomes invisible. But if you're searching for "220039000E0090", then change all 5 occurrences.RJ

First let me say, I'm no expert at editing mdl files and have next to little knowledge what I'm actually doing to the model itself by changing these values.This is really a trial and error thing at this point but wanted to share with people what I stumbled on.Searching for hex string "22003900" and changing the 39 to 38 (on the 2nd occurrence only) has been posted before and is used to remove the virtual cockpit and retain the landing lights (as seen from inside the cockpit). It was also noted that changing the 39 to 00 removes both the VC and the landing lights as seen from inside the cockpit. So I started playing with one AI and searched for hex string "22003900" and experimented.What I found is this:For Aardvark AI:Search for Hex string 220039000E0090 and for all occurrences change it to: 220000000E0090 (changing 39 to 00) will remove the landing/taxi light effect. Doing this change has had no effect visually on any model thus far.I changed an AI Evolve A320-200 IAE using the same technique above ok.For the CDAI AI CRJ200 the above technique didn't work. In the case of the CDAI AI CRJ200 I had to do this:Search for all occurrences of hex string: 22003900 and change all occurrences to: 22000000.I think with GMAX aircraft, the technique searching for 220039000E0090 should work on all (I think).@Ian I suspect this would have to be done individually, because the mdl of the AI aircraft were not created by me, and I think it would be wrong to re-upload other peoples work. That said, I really don't know what these changes are really doing to the AI, so it's by no means a real fix. Ideally I wonder if the developer has the ability to remove this landing/taxi light effect? I'm sure at this point, many AI modelers will not change old work..@ psolk I really can't answer that question at this point, but may try and see what happens.@ ZK_LGD If you did a search on hex string "220039000E0090", and found 5, then using the replace function, search for and replace all 5 occurrences. As for the 4th occurrence question, if you search the mdl file using hex string "22003900" and change the forth occurrence to "22000000", then the model becomes invisible. But if you're searching for "220039000E0090", then change all 5 occurrences.RJ
Thanks RJI will try to contact the wonderful folks at WoAI. Though they don't own the models they use, they are in contact with those who do. It might not be a huge thing for them to have the model designers make the changes and then WoAI could upload the modified aircraft. It wouldn't have to be a rush job with them all done at once - but with input from your experiments it would seem like it would be a fairly quick fix for an experienced modeller. And I am sure that A2A would gladly provide WoAI with all the information on light placement that they have in their data base as it would be a nice way to draw attention the the Shockwave lights. Seeing screen shots like you have posted should bring out the credit cards of anyone who doesn't already have the product! LOL It would me if I didn't have it already.....

The immersion factor of landing in fog (low visibility) at night has been completely transformed for me.Gone are the terrible triangle / cone light effects on all my AI aircraft. As for flyable aircraft, you can also remove this effect. But because I only fly IFR with 2D panels I've added a hidden click spot to turn off the triangle landing light effect in low visibility situations. This way, I can still keep my landing light effect when visibility is good. Removing this effect is achievable with great results…My previous instructions will have to be re-written, because not only do you have to remove the “triangle” light effect in each model, you also have to remove the “cone” light effect as well. Here’s a video of before and after results (Simulation rate 4x).http://youtu.be/WbmARuBgHqsPS: I’m no movie director; please ignore the poor quality of this video, but with this new fix, it feels like Christmas time..RJ