Sign in to follow this  
dallyborr

Landing lights...and fog

Guys I am really struggling with this I am using the Hex editor I downloaded and testing it on DJC Metroliner. I am altering the Model file and searching for the Hex No.s in the mdl file, for a particular airline, for example (Model.IBC). Do I need to change the main mdl file in the aircraft folder as well? When using the Hex Editor I am searching for the Hex Strings under the Hex- Values header and using the replace function, but alas I am still getting triangles of light when my IBC Metroliner lands. I am not very Computer literate so any help would be appreciated. Merry Christmas everyone and a Happy New Year. Regards Nic Jackson

@ Lain, ignore my previous post for the TFS A300, I replaced all 9 occurences of 220039000E00900008, not 220039000E0090@ Nic, depending on how your AI is organized, it doesnt matter which airline, it's only the model (.mdl) that needs to be written, as you say rightly.From what RJ posted, for the DJC metroliner, only the second occurence of 220039000E has to be replaced by 220000000E

No joy... changed the second occurence of 220039000E to 220000000E in the main aircraft mdl folder and still getting triangles, I am obviously doing something amiss I cannot just work out what it is.RegardsNic Jackson

I think I had this file on my older XP computer. But now looking to install it on my new WIN/7 I don't find it at AVSIM or FLIGHTSIM either? Any hints?As I remember it worked pretty well, at ;east for flyable aircraft..Bill

Nic,The DJC metroliners were some of the few models I had not fixed yet. So I just did. You must pay attention that there are two different models for both Metro III et and IV, named 3blade (DJC_metroIII_3blade.mdl) and 4blade(DJC_metroIII_4blade.mdl). The IBC you took as an example normally goes with 4blade model, so make sure you've updated both models. I did qucik test before and after the edit, and on my side it works, I have no more triangles.Regards,And Merry Christmas :(

Hi Arnaud,I just found the correct hex locations for the TFS A300 B4/600 are actually "2200390042" with 9x occurrences. Once I changed them to "2200000042" the light triangle on the ground is removed.

Note to self......... Don't get Ameriiflight muddled up with IBC planes, i wasn't even drunk when i was attempting to get rid of the triangles, Just checked Ameriflight plane and all is well, at last. Thanks for all the help Arnaud.RegardsNic Jackson

As mentioned, editing AI models is not only a huge task, you do require computer skills and a basic understanding of AI and the associated files. Editing a model gets into a very hot topic of copywrite. I was very reluctant to even post this find and I fully support the moderators if they decide to lock or delete this thread. The topic of removing the Virtual Cockpit via this method has been around for years, and posted on many sites. My only intent to sharing this information was merely to help others improve visuals at night.My first tutorial may not have been very clear and I'll try to expand on it now. The models I listed with hex changes, I have tested and confirmed work after "breaking" the model with these modifications. If you can trust my writings, then use those fixes at your own risk, which will save you time. Will it work on all models? No. If your "approach" is to open up a model that I have not listed, search for "220039000E and start replacing values, I strongly suggest you land immediately and end your flight.So again, the AI models I listed, I've done extensive testing on to ensure they still work. I suggest you do the same, spend at a few minutes inspecting the model after you modify it (even the one's I listed).Please re-read my tutorial closely if you're having a problem with an AI model I have not listed. The "standard "220039000E" trick will not work for all models and I don't recall every saying to just use "220039000E" .Important lines to re-read:The key to removing the triangle effect in a model is to start searching for HEX string: 22003900. NOT "220039000E".5th occurrence: 22003900xx In most cases, but not always, changing the 39 to 00 turns off the triangle effect as seen from the cockpit and spot view. Trial and error. Aircraft that have LOD built in (AI) you'll have to remove multiple occurrences of the 5th occurrence.Notice I typed "22003900xx" where xx can be any hex value (usually 0E or 42, but not always).The very first step a person needs to do when editing any AI model is to have the ability to visually see/fly and test the lights on the AI model. If your AI model doesn’t show up in the aircraft selection window in FS2004, you first need to edit the .air file to achieve this.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Editing the .air file to allow AI model selection in FS2004 (for testing purposes)-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I'll use the "TFS A300" as an example.1. Download file: aired152_update806.zip from Avsim.2. Make a copy of the .air file you're going to edit. In this example the original file is called "TFS_A300.air" and I just made a copy of called "Copy of TFS_A300.air".3. Move the original file "TFS_A300.air" onto your desk. The original file "TFS_A300.air" file is coded so you cannot see the model in the FS2004 selection window.4. Rename file "Copy of TFS_A300.air" which should still be located in the "TFS_A300" folder to "TFS_A300.air".5. Start AirEd.exe (after you unzipped it from file aired152_update806.zip) and navigated to the "TFS_A300.air" file located your AI folder (in this case "TFS_A300").6. Look for line: "105 *Aircraft Type=2". Hover your mouse over the word "Aircraft" and left click and the entire line now turns grey. Now right click and you'll see a small window open. Click on "Info" and note the following:0=Normal1=Helicopter2=Non-flyable (CFS AI Only)When you change line 105 to "0" you'll be able to select your AI from the FS2004 selection window.When you change line 105 to "Non-flyable" you will not have the option to see the AI in the FS2004 selection window.7. Still on line 105, click the square box that contains the "2" and change it to "0" and press enter.8. Click File-Save and you done.9. Start FS2004 and confirm you can now select your AI model.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Making model changes-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I'll use the "TFS A300" "model.A30B_GE" as an example for this tutorial.Note: This AI aircraft has multiple models; model.A30B_GE, model.A30B_PW, model.A306_GE, model.A306_MOTHRA, model.A306_PWMake sure you're selecting the correct model when testing. Open up aircraft.cfg file and confirm which model you're working with.1. Start FS2004, select the repaint that uses the ".A320B_GE" model, and start at night with 1SM visibility.2. In spot view observe approximately how many triangle light effects exist (nose, wings etc). Also note if the cone light effect exists.Note: some models may not have any triangle light effect to fix.3. Switch to day and test the model and see what normally works (ie flaps, reversers, ailerons, rudder, gear etc) then close FS2004.4. Make a backup of the model file you'll edit.5. Using a hex editor, open the model file (in this example "TFS_A300B2-B4_GE.mdl") and search for hex string "22003900".First I'll start looking for the triangle effect by looking for the 5th occurrence of "22003900". You should see this:220039000A220039002E220039000E220039000C2200390042 <----5th occurrence of hex string "22003900"6. To ensure the 5th occurrence is the actual triangle effect, just change ONLY the 5th occurrence to this:2200000042 (changing the 39 to 00).7. Start FS2004, select the repaint that uses the ".A320B_GE" model, and start at night with 1SM visibility.8. In Spot view, turn all lights on by pressing the "L" key and zoom in/out as your circle the model. If the model has LOD build in, at some point during the zooming in/out you'll see the triangle lights disappear then re-appear. As a final zoom test, I zoom far away from the model as possible, and then switch to top down view pressing the "CTRL+S" keys and zoom in/out.9. Switch to day and test the model and ensure all the tests you did in step 3 still work (ie flaps, reversers, ailerons, rudder, gear etc).10. If your model has LOD built in (AI) you'll have to remove multiple occurrences of the 5th occurrence.11 Using a hex editor open up the model you just modified and search for and replace all occurrences of hex string:"2200390042" and change the 39 to 00 to look like this:"2200000042"10. Test the model again doing steps 7, 8, and 9 again.Follow the same approach when searching for the cone light effect if you wish to remove those.When you're completely finished working with a model, rename the viewable air file (in this example "TFS_A300.air") to something like ""TFS_A300.VIEW". Then move the original air file from your desktop "TFS_A300.air" back into the AI folder. In the future, if you wish to quickly view an AI model, you just simply rename the air files.Hope this helps.RJ

As mentioned, editing AI models is not only a huge task, you do require computer skills and a basic understanding of AI and the associated files. Editing a model gets into a very hot topic of copywrite. I was very reluctant to even post this find and I fully support the moderators if they decide to lock or delete this thread. The topic of removing the Virtual Cockpit via this method has been around for years, and posted on many sites. My only intent to sharing this information was merely to help others improve visuals at night.My first tutorial may not have been very clear and I'll try to expand on it now. The models I listed with hex changes, I have tested and confirmed work after "breaking" the model with these modifications. If you can trust my writings, then use those fixes at your own risk, which will save you time. Will it work on all models? No. If your "approach" is to open up a model that I have not listed, search for "220039000E and start replacing values, I strongly suggest you land immediately and end your flight.So again, the AI models I listed, I've done extensive testing on to ensure they still work. I suggest you do the same, spend at a few minutes inspecting the model after you modify it (even the one's I listed).Please re-read my tutorial closely if you're having a problem with an AI model I have not listed. The "standard "220039000E" trick will not work for all models and I don't recall every saying to just use "220039000E" .Important lines to re-read:The key to removing the triangle effect in a model is to start searching for HEX string: 22003900. NOT "220039000E".5th occurrence: 22003900xx In most cases, but not always, changing the 39 to 00 turns off the triangle effect as seen from the cockpit and spot view. Trial and error. Aircraft that have LOD built in (AI) you'll have to remove multiple occurrences of the 5th occurrence.Notice I typed "22003900xx" where xx can be any hex value (usually 0E or 42, but not always).The very first step a person needs to do when editing any AI model is to have the ability to visually see/fly and test the lights on the AI model. If your AI model doesn’t show up in the aircraft selection window in FS2004, you first need to edit the .air file to achieve this.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Editing the .air file to allow AI model selection in FS2004 (for testing purposes)-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I'll use the "TFS A300" as an example.1. Download file: aired152_update806.zip from Avsim.2. Make a copy of the .air file you're going to edit. In this example the original file is called "TFS_A300.air" and I just made a copy of called "Copy of TFS_A300.air".3. Move the original file "TFS_A300.air" onto your desk. The original file "TFS_A300.air" file is coded so you cannot see the model in the FS2004 selection window.4. Rename file "Copy of TFS_A300.air" which should still be located in the "TFS_A300" folder to "TFS_A300.air".5. Start AirEd.exe (after you unzipped it from file aired152_update806.zip) and navigated to the "TFS_A300.air" file located your AI folder (in this case "TFS_A300").6. Look for line: "105 *Aircraft Type=2". Hover your mouse over the word "Aircraft" and left click and the entire line now turns grey. Now right click and you'll see a small window open. Click on "Info" and note the following:0=Normal1=Helicopter2=Non-flyable (CFS AI Only)When you change line 105 to "0" you'll be able to select your AI from the FS2004 selection window.When you change line 105 to "Non-flyable" you will not have the option to see the AI in the FS2004 selection window.7. Still on line 105, click the square box that contains the "2" and change it to "0" and press enter.8. Click File-Save and you done.9. Start FS2004 and confirm you can now select your AI model.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Making model changes-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I'll use the "TFS A300" "model.A30B_GE" as an example for this tutorial.Note: This AI aircraft has multiple models; model.A30B_GE, model.A30B_PW, model.A306_GE, model.A306_MOTHRA, model.A306_PWMake sure you're selecting the correct model when testing. Open up aircraft.cfg file and confirm which model you're working with.1. Start FS2004, select the repaint that uses the ".A320B_GE" model, and start at night with 1SM visibility.2. In spot view observe approximately how many triangle light effects exist (nose, wings etc). Also note if the cone light effect exists.Note: some models may not have any triangle light effect to fix.3. Switch to day and test the model and see what normally works (ie flaps, reversers, ailerons, rudder, gear etc) then close FS2004.4. Make a backup of the model file you'll edit.5. Using a hex editor, open the model file (in this example "TFS_A300B2-B4_GE.mdl") and search for hex string "22003900".First I'll start looking for the triangle effect by looking for the 5th occurrence of "22003900". You should see this:220039000A220039002E220039000E220039000C2200390042 <----5th occurrence of hex string "22003900"6. To ensure the 5th occurrence is the actual triangle effect, just change ONLY the 5th occurrence to this:2200000042 (changing the 39 to 00).7. Start FS2004, select the repaint that uses the ".A320B_GE" model, and start at night with 1SM visibility.8. In Spot view, turn all lights on by pressing the "L" key and zoom in/out as your circle the model. If the model has LOD build in, at some point during the zooming in/out you'll see the triangle lights disappear then re-appear. As a final zoom test, I zoom far away from the model as possible, and then switch to top down view pressing the "CTRL+S" keys and zoom in/out.9. Switch to day and test the model and ensure all the tests you did in step 3 still work (ie flaps, reversers, ailerons, rudder, gear etc).10. If your model has LOD built in (AI) you'll have to remove multiple occurrences of the 5th occurrence.11 Using a hex editor open up the model you just modified and search for and replace all occurrences of hex string:"2200390042" and change the 39 to 00 to look like this:"2200000042"10. Test the model again doing steps 7, 8, and 9 again.Follow the same approach when searching for the cone light effect if you wish to remove those.When you're completely finished working with a model, rename the viewable air file (in this example "TFS_A300.air") to something like ""TFS_A300.VIEW". Then move the original air file from your desktop "TFS_A300.air" back into the AI folder. In the future, if you wish to quickly view an AI model, you just simply rename the air files.Hope this helps.RJ
Hi RJI hope nobody takes offence at what you've done, as all of us on this thread are incredibly grateful for the work you've put into this and for sharing it. What I'd love to see is the designers themselves incorporating this fix into their models as it really does represent one of the biggest advances in AI modelling in years....You've been very respectful of the copyright issue from day one and your only motivation has been to enhance the sim experience for all of us, so I truly hope nobody gets upset about it. I for one am extremely grateful. Though I've only had time to do a few of the mods, what I've done has worked and is a HUGE improvement over the unmodified models. The thing is you are not correcting a "fault" in any of the models, but rather adjusting the models to correct a "fault" in FS9... I think it's bloody brilliant mate and I thank you!Ian

Hi IanYes, it would be nice if the designers could incorporate fixes, but for some that will never happen as the source files for some models have been lost and many designers have retired. So I guess we live with it or try and fix it, but I don't think there will ever be a proper fix at this point.All the bestRJ

Hey RJ,thank you so much for this trick. The triangle bug annoyed me all the time. Foggy approaches were a nightmare for me before you found this great solution. After editing all my models it now works like a charm. But without you values I would be lost in all the hex strings. So I miserably failed to edit models with missing values. I destroyed the LOD1 of the OSP Atr and the AIM CRJ200 gives me an error message in FS9 and won't even load (model damaged or something like that). After a few more failings I quitted with a headache.So maybe somebody can help me out with the right values?Models which still needs the medicine:-AIM CRJ200-OSP Atr (all versions)-TFS A310-GWAI MD-11Any help would be much appreciated. Once again thank you so much for this trick.Happy new year to all of you!Christoph

Best,
Christoph

Display resolution: 1920x1080 (8xSSAA)    GPU: 1080TI     CPU: i7-7700K (5.0 OC)    RAM: 16GB     SSD: Samsung 850Evo     Monitor: 27K

FSBetaTesters3.png

Sk1nNy, I suggest you fix your AI. I'll try and post a hex fix for the girlfriend.... LOL.gifScratch that... The hex string is just too long to post :rolleyes:RJ
Haha LOL.gif I doubt there is/are possible fix for my gf :(/I also hope that AI developers will update this into their models to save our time and increase the realistic of their products :(

Hoang Le

i5 13500 - eVGA RTX 3070 Ti - 32GB RAM

P3D v5

Has anyone corrected any FMAI models? I've tried the 220039000E0090 string and it just ends up making the model invisible. I've tried this on the Dornier 228 and the avrojets.thanks

Hey RJ,thank you so much for this trick. The triangle bug annoyed me all the time. Foggy approaches were a nightmare for me before you found this great solution.After editing all my models it now works like a charm.But without you values I would be lost in all the hex strings. So I miserably failed to edit models with missing values. I destroyed the LOD1 of the OSP Atr and the AIM CRJ200 gives me an error message in FS9 and won't even load (model damaged or something like that). After a few more failings I quitted with a headache.So maybe somebody can help me out with the right values?Models which still needs the medicine:-AIM CRJ200-OSP Atr (all versions)-TFS A310-GWAI MD-11Any help would be much appreciated. Once again thank you so much for this trick.Happy new year to all of you!Christoph
Here try these:----------------------------------------------------------------------AI Malcontent (AIM)For models: CRJ200 CRJ200.mdl, CRJ-200 Big Goofy Antenna.mdlTo remove only the triangle light effect, find and replace all occurrences of HEX sting:220039000E0090000800 and change the 39 to 00 to look like this:220000000E0090000800To remove the nose cone light effect, find and replace all occurrences of HEX string:390034009A000400B2000B and change the B to a 0 to look like this:390034009A000400B20000To remove the wing cone light effect, find and replace all occurrences of HEX string:390034009A000800B2000C and change the C to a 0 to look like this:390034009A000800B20000----------------------------------------------------------------------osp_atr_72_200To remove only the triangle light effect, find and replace all Occurrences of HEX sting:220039000E0090000B008A00E403 and change the 39 to 00 to look like this:220000000E0090000B008A00E403To remove the cone light effect, find and replace all Occurrences of HEX string:390034009A000400B2000B and change the B to a 0 to look like this:390034009A000400B20000To remove the cone light effect, find and replace all Occurrences of HEX string:390034009A000800B2000C and change the C to a 0 to look like this:390034009A000800B20000----osp_atr_72_500To remove only the triangle light effect, find and replace all Occurrences of HEX sting:220039000E0090000B008A and change the 39 to 00 to look like this:220000000E0090000B008ATo remove the cone light effect, find and replace all Occurrences of HEX string:390034009A000400B2000B and change the B to a 0 to look like this:390034009A000400B20000To remove the cone light effect, find and replace all Occurrences of HEX string:390034009A000800B2000C and change the C to a 0 to look like this:390034009A000800B20000----------------------------------------------------------------------The Fruit Stand (TFS)For models: TFS_A310 model.PW_200, model.PW_300To remove only the triangle light effect, find and replace all occurrences of HEX sting:22003900420090 and change the 39 to 00 to look like this:22000000420090To remove the nose cone light effect, find and replace all occurrences of HEX string:390034009A000400B2000B and change the B to a 0 to look like this:390034009A000400B20000Also,,To remove the nose cone light effect, find and replace all occurrences of HEX string:390034009A000800B2000C and change the C to a 0 to look like this:390034009A000800B20000----For models: TFS_A310 model.GE_200, model.GE_300To remove only the triangle light effect, find and replace all occurrences of HEX sting:220039000E00900008 and change the 39 to 00 to look like this:220000000E00900008To remove the nose cone light effect, find and replace all occurrences of HEX string:390034009A000400B2000B and change the B to a 0 to look like this:390034009A000400B20000Also,,To remove the nose cone light effect, find and replace all occurrences of HEX string:390034009A000800B2000C and change the C to a 0 to look like this:390034009A000800B20000----------------------------------------------------------------------GW AIModels: AI_MD11_GWmodel.GE, AI_MD11_GWmodel.PWTo remove only the triangle light effect, find and replace all occurrences of HEX sting:220039004A00900008005F004200 and change the 39 to 00 to look like this:220000004A00900008005F004200To remove the fuselage cone light effect, find and replace all occurrences of HEX string:390034009A000400B2000B and change the B to a 0 to look like this:390034009A000400B20000To remove the nose cone light effect, find and replace all occurrences of HEX string:390034009A000800B2000C and change the C to a 0 to look like this:390034009A000800B20000----------------------------------------------------------------------Have funRJ

Has anyone corrected any FMAI models? I've tried the 220039000E0090 string and it just ends up making the model invisible. I've tried this on the Dornier 228 and the avrojets.thanks
Who makes the Dornier 228?The Fernando Martinez - FM BAE146's are tricky and it turned out that every other occurrence were the lights then the model .Fernando Martinez - FMBAe146-200, BAe146-300,Searching for 22003900 shows the following:220039000A2E0E0C - If changed, aircraft is invisible0E 00 90 00 0C are lights0E 00 90 00 08 is the model4239390E 00 90 00 0C are lights0E 00 90 00 08 is the model420E 00 90 00 0C are lights0E 00 90 00 08 is the model420E 00 90 00 0C are lights0E 00 90 00 08 is the model420E 00 90 00 0C are lights0E 00 90 00 08 is the model0ESo not to remove the model, just the triangle lights, you have to search for a bigger hex string as follows:I removed the triangle lights by searching for all occurrences of:220039000E0090000Cand changed the 39 to 00 for all occurrences to look like this:220000000E0090000CThis will remove the four cones (inner on both left and right wings)search for:AF009A99C1C5F7732AC333151644A3067F3F00000000D87EB23DD87E32BD and for all occurrences change to:00009A99C1C5F7732AC333151644A3067F3F00000000D87EB23DD87E32BD changing the AF to 00This will remove the Left main cone:Search for:390034009A000400B2000B00E926313E08 and change all occurrences to:390034009A000400B2000000E926313E08 changing the 0B to 00This will remove the Right main cone:Search for:390034009A000400B2000B00C520303E560E8A41BA and change all occurrences to:390034009A000400B2000000C520303E560E8A41BA changing the 0B to 00---Fernando Martinez - FMF28 1000 3000, 4000I removed the triangle lights by searching for all occurrences of:220039000E00900008 and changed the 39 to 00 for all occurrences to look like this:220000000E00900008Wing Cone light effect removalSearch for all occurrences of:390034009A000400B2000B and change the B to a 0 for all occurrences to look like this:390034009A000400B20000Nose Cone light effect removalSearch for all occurances of:390034009A000800B2000C and change the C to a 0 for all occurrences to look like this:390034009A000800B20000---Fernando Martinez - FMF100I removed the triangle lights by searching for all occurrences of:220039000E0090 and changed the 39 to 00 for all occurrences to look like this:220000000E0090Wing Cone light effect removalSearch for all occurrences of:390034009A000400B2000B and change the B to a 0 for all occurrences to look like this:390034009A000400B20000Nose Cone light effect removalSearch for all occurrences of:390034009A000800B2000C and change the C to a 0 for all occurrences to look like this:390034009A000800B20000RJ