Sign in to follow this  
Virgin_A340

Two Problems

I have just installed RCv4.3 on my new computer running Windows 7 64-bit. I did a flight today and had a couple of problems. The first one was that RC was very slow at responding to keyboard commands. When I pressed a button to chance frequency for example it took 30 seconds at least to respond. The other problem was that I got cleared to FL70 at first. Then so on up to I think it was FL290. When I got there I was just left there. Normally when I get to about 1000ft before the asigned alt I get a new altitude. I had to request it via the "high altitude" command. This only worked after I had gone about 30nm from tehy point at which I requested it. When I got to FL340 the same thing happened. I could not get the ATC to let me go to FL380 which was my cruise alt. I had to fly miles further on before they would let me go high than FL340.This never happened on my old computer running Windows XP. I have no idea what it happened this time. Another thing not really a problem. Is there a way to asign a key command to have the RC ATC window close until I want it open again? Clicking on the X only closes it for a fwe seconds which is a bit annoying when taking screen shots. Cheers, :( Andy S

I have just installed RCv4.3 on my new computer running Windows 7 64-bit. I did a flight today and had a couple of problems. The first one was that RC was very slow at responding to keyboard commands. When I pressed a button to chance frequency for example it took 30 seconds at least to respond. The other problem was that I got cleared to FL70 at first. Then so on up to I think it was FL290. When I got there I was just left there. Normally when I get to about 1000ft before the asigned alt I get a new altitude. I had to request it via the "high altitude" command. This only worked after I had gone about 30nm from tehy point at which I requested it. When I got to FL340 the same thing happened. I could not get the ATC to let me go to FL380 which was my cruise alt. I had to fly miles further on before they would let me go high than FL340.This never happened on my old computer running Windows XP. I have no idea what it happened this time. Another thing not really a problem. Is there a way to asign a key command to have the RC ATC window close until I want it open again? Clicking on the X only closes it for a fwe seconds which is a bit annoying when taking screen shots. Cheers, :( Andy S
my guess is you have "display text" checked on the rc options screen. uncheck it. if that isn't it, see some other threads on the forum regarding ASA causing slow responses in RC.on the altitude thing, what was your altimeter set to, when you were at these altitudes? were you using the "B" key to set the altimeter to the standard pressure? can't do that outside the united states.sorry, rc updates the fsuipc window with nav information, and this causes frequent refreshes.jd

Thanks for the fast reply jd. :( I have "display text" checked. If I uncheck I guess I won't be able to read what ATC is saying? This migth be a problem with some planes I have where the engine sound is quite high and often drowns out ATC. I don't have ASA, just the normal ASv6.For the altimeter I set it via the push/pull knob. I was flying the PMDG MD11 so everything was done by the book. I never use the B key way of doing it with any add-ons. Andy S

I'm thinking that something wasn't set correctly on your altimeter. When the controller clears you to an altitude and notes flight level instead of feet, it is a altitude above the transition, therefore you can set the altimeter to ISA, which is 29.92 inches of mercury or 1013.25 hectopascals. In the US, the TA is always going to be 18K as anything above the TA takes you into class A airspace up to FL600 (class E airspace is above FL600). Other countries the TA will vary. You can set the altimeter to ISA before you reach the transition altitude if you are cleared above it. A good way of checking the altimeter is set correctly is to check it against the standby altimeter once at a level altitude (use some of MSFS's bugs to your advantage :(). It also wouldn't hurt to check your transponder and ensure it matches the squawk code the controller wants you to report. If this happens after a ATC handoff, it's likely a transponder issue. You can bypass this by handing the comms to the Virtual First Officer (VFO) and he'll change the squawk code on ATC request.

my guess is you have "display text" checked on the rc options screen. uncheck it. if that isn't it, see some other threads on the forum regarding ASA causing slow responses in RC.on the altitude thing, what was your altimeter set to, when you were at these altitudes? were you using the "B" key to set the altimeter to the standard pressure? can't do that outside the united states.sorry, rc updates the fsuipc window with nav information, and this causes frequent refreshes.jd
I had the same slow input and response problem and solved it by downloading the latest FSUIPC version.4.5.3.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

Thanks for the fast reply jd. :( I have "display text" checked. If I uncheck I guess I won't be able to read what ATC is saying? This migth be a problem with some planes I have where the engine sound is quite high and often drowns out ATC. I don't have ASA, just the normal ASv6.For the altimeter I set it via the push/pull knob. I was flying the PMDG MD11 so everything was done by the book. I never use the B key way of doing it with any add-ons. Andy S
slow response is a result of the display text option. uncheck it.you may need to reduce the overall volume of the fs volume sliders, then increase the master volume slider in windows to bring up the volume for fs. but when you increase the master volume, you will also increase the rc volume.if you can duplicate the altitude problems, make a log, instructions pinned to the top of the forum. i can quickly tell what the altitude problem is on your flights from looking at the log.i have to ask, don't shoot me, but you know FL 70 is not the same as 7000, right?jd

For the altimeter I set it via the push/pull knob. I was flying the PMDG MD11 so everything was done by the book. I never use the B key way of doing it with any add-ons.
Hi,Don't know if it helps, but I had a similar problem with the push/pull knob on PMDG 737-800. When I pressed the knob to switch to standard pressure, altimeter didn't show correct altitude. I use FlightSim Commander, and its GPS window also showed altitude different from the plane's altimeter. So now I set the pressure manually every time, and the problem doesn't appear. This may be not the best solution, but at least it works :)CheersYuri

Another thing not really a problem. Is there a way to asign a key command to have the RC ATC window close until I want it open again? Clicking on the X only closes it for a fwe seconds which is a bit annoying when taking screen shots.
Hi Andy,This is in reference to setting a hot key to open and close the RC AdvDisplay window. It can be done through FSUIPC, under the 'hot keys' tab.I use Ctrl + X to toggle the AdvDisplay. Also, if you haven't already done so, get the full registered version of FSUIPC.Hope it helps!Cheers,Mike T.