My CH Flightstick Pro is nearing the end of its life. I am tempted by the Saitek Products but wonder why the throttle is designed for the left hand, and to sit on the left of the joystick. This set up means that the pilot will feel as though he/she is flying from the P2 seat although sitting in P1. It seems odd, as if the designers flew choppers only! Can anyone enlighten me? Maybe I have missed something obvious. John

Supporter.png

John

Guest abulaafia

I just got the Logitech G940. Absolutely lovely, but you are right. Throttle goes left, otherwise the joystick with its button on the handle it feels awkard. I guess its meant to be flexible in simulating all sorts of aircraft. Doesn't bother me to much. I prefer using the throttle left.

I just got the Logitech G940. Absolutely lovely,
Thanks. The throttle on the left would bother me I think. I might get used to it I suppose. What do you like about the Logitech? How does it compare with what you had before? John

Supporter.png

John

John, Are you talking about the likes of the Saitek X52 ? If so, it has the throttle on the left as it follows the jet fighter HOTAS (Hands On Throttle And Stick) concept, which is the layout of most, if not all jet fighters. If you usually fly airliners, then you need to be looking at a yoke, with separate throttle(s) which you can place to your right. Unfortunately, it's just a fact that the more realism you want...the more it costs. Incidently, I find the Saiteks to be excellent products. I've had the X36...X52...and am now using the X52pro. The first two I gave away, still working perfectly, as and when I upgraded.Russell.

John, Are you talking about the likes of the Saitek X52 ? If so, it has the throttle on the left as it follows the jet fighter HOTAS (Hands On Throttle And Stick) concept, which is the layout of most, if not all jet fighters. If you usually fly airliners, then you need to be looking at a yoke, with separate throttle(s) which you can place to your right. Unfortunately, it's just a fact that the more realism you want...the more it costs. Incidently, I find the Saiteks to be excellent products. I've had the X36...X52...and am now using the X52pro. The first two I gave away, still working perfectly, as and when I upgraded.
I fly turboprops in FS9 (Pilatus PC-12, Dash 8, Dash 7, C130), props (DC3, Beech G18S), and small jets like the F70. The commercial throttles I've seen look as if they've been borrowed from a flying club trainer. They aren't much like airliner throttles. I've read very mixed reviews and they take up a lot of room. I am ready to be put right about them, though. Looks like I might just go for another CH Flightstick Pro. I might have tried the Saitek X52Pro but it comes paired with a throttle. Can the joystick be used on its own without the throttle?John

Supporter.png

John

No, the main cable is fixed to the throttle, then linked to the joystick. The X52 is ideal for my main flying (F104S) and works well on the occasional flight with the PMDG 747-400 (totally unrealistic, I know) The hardware is out there for your type of flying, but I know it can get a bit expensive.Russell.

The hardware is out there for your type of flying, but I know it can get a bit expensive.
Thanks. What hardware are you referring to? John

Supporter.png

John

I don't use a yoke, so have no experience with them...but was referring to the Saitek pro yoke and throttle quadrants for a reasonable price. If you want really good stuff, google PFC (precision flight controls), but you'll need a fat wallet. Like I said, if you want throttles that look the business, it'll cost.Russell.

Thanks. I had a look. I see what you mean. Seems like we need a joystick for the upper middle market - a Mercedes rather than a Roller. It should be stable (heavy?) and durable, with a steel shaft/bearings and robust electronics to allow fine adjustment of control surfaces. Similarly, we need an upper mid-market throttle quadrant which is compact, not plasticky, stable (heavy?), smooth in operation and capable of fine adjustment.I live more in hope than expectation. :( John

Supporter.png

John

I just got the Logitech G940. Absolutely lovely, but you are right. Throttle goes left, otherwise the joystick with its button on the handle it feels awkard. I guess its meant to be flexible in simulating all sorts of aircraft. Doesn't bother me to much. I prefer using the throttle left.
How about a nice review?I am thinking of getting that setup. Read some pros and cons at NewEgg. What are the units measurements? They look pretty big.How is the workmanship? Are the units nice and smooth? Do they work in Windows 7 Prof x64?Does the throttle have detents that are reasonably easy to pass by when sliding the handle?

How about a nice review?I am thinking of getting that setup. Read some pros and cons at NewEgg. What are the units measurements? They look pretty big.How is the workmanship? Are the units nice and smooth? Do they work in Windows 7 Prof x64?Does the throttle have detents that are reasonably easy to pass by when sliding the handle?
I am using the Saiek Yoke & Throttles but the G940 looks very tempting. How is the force feedback and do you use the force feedback software available for FSX? Do you like the G940 system overall?Thanks a lot,Howard

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor