Sign in to follow this  
johnwillimas

Massive Change with Widescreen Montior

I've just upgraded my monitor and installed an HP2159m which has a1920 x 1080 native resolution.Previously FS9 was giving me up to around 30+fps (15 - 20 in heavy scenery) and performed nicely but now I get a slightly lower performance at system start and then after a few minutes running the thing grind down to 1 to 2 fps. Leave it a bit and suddenly the performance seems to come back for a while but then its clunk clunk clunk again.I've tried updating and back tracking on video drivers (I'm currently running Nvidia's 182.50 drivers) but with no real difference.I'm running on a box with 2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad, Nvidia 8800 GTS and 2G memory.I'd welcome any advice or ami I being optimistic trying to run this monitor on this card?Thanks.

Which 8800 GTS model do you have? Or, more precisely, how much video RAM does it have? Your specs so far sound good, but without knowing how much VRAM you have it's hard to say where the bottleneck may lie. My intuition tells me because you've just upgraded your resolution that you're now over-flowing the VGA local frame buffer and spilling into system RAM. This slows things down tremendously. Like orders of magnitude. Similar to what you're experiencing, no?

Guest UlfB

Try to remove the Poolsize setting if you use that tweak.

Which 8800 GTS model do you have? Or, more precisely, how much video RAM does it have? Your specs so far sound good, but without knowing how much VRAM you have it's hard to say where the bottleneck may lie. My intuition tells me because you've just upgraded your resolution that you're now over-flowing the VGA local frame buffer and spilling into system RAM. This slows things down tremendously. Like orders of magnitude. Similar to what you're experiencing, no?
The GTS claims to have 640M video memory according to the Nvdia control panel but the effects you describe seem to be what I am experiencing. I'm try racking back the resolution to 1280 x 960 (though that wasn't really the point of getting the monitor!) - far so FPS seems in line with previous experience.

Try to remove the Poolsize setting if you use that tweak.
Thanks for the thought Ulf, but I'm not using this - I thought it was for FSX only, anyway?

Guest UlfB
Thanks for the thought Ulf, but I'm not using this - I thought it was for FSX only, anyway?
Sorry, I totally missed that you use FS9 :( I must start to learn how to read.

Do you have your Virtual Memory set to "Let System Manage"? This considerably smoothed out performance for me.I also have "Refresh Scenery" command mapped to the Pause/Break key. Hitting this key as you turn onto final approach, pauses the sim momentarily, then resumes at full FPS. Very useful.Alex Reid

Thanks January.Yes - I have virtual memory set to system managed.The break key idea is a good one but once FS( gets set into 1fps mode it stays there for maybe a minute or more so that won't really help in this situation. I'll keep on trying...

Here's an update - reinstalled old monitor : same problem at the lower 1280x1024 resolution.Went back to 163.25 drivers, same problem.AAAArGh!!! Now pulling out what little hair I had left.... :(

It was all nothing to do with the monitor!!!Finally diagnosed it to overheating CPU - cleaned the fins of the heat sink from all the dust there was on it and reseated with some new thermal paste and now all is well...(FS9 running at twicee the FPS now!!!)