Sign in to follow this  
markturner

LOD8 oval does not fill

Just a quick one - despite me activating world_LOD8 in the scenery library, the first oval in my window does not fill. What would cause this? I have min preload set to 9 as per Christian's instructions in the manual, and level mapping set from 10 -17 I have looked and looked at my settings but cant see why. Any ideas ? Cheers,Mark

Not 100% sure Mark but my guess is that if you set min preload to 8 then the first egg will fill.IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Hi Ian, thats does sound logical, the only reason i changed it to 9 is that is says to do so in the manual, i quote:

"To make this work, the WORLD_LOD8 scenery has to have a higher priority than the other Tileproxyfolders - i.e. in the scenery library it must be situated below the other WORLD_xxxx folders.

You should increase your preload_min_lod setting to 9 in case you make use of this texture (i.e.when your WORLD_LOD8 folder is active in the scenery library)."

If the oval is not filling, that indicates that Tile proxy is not producing tiles for that circle. Which would help performance, as FSX would be loading them as instructed in the scenery library. It must be that not having the oval load tiles is correct then.......

Not really sure Mark - I've never used LOD 8 as I've never seen any point in doing so. I can't actually undertand why Christian included them, though that's more likely to be me missing the point than anything Christian has done.

IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Not really sure Mark - I've never used LOD 8 as I've never seen any point in doing so. I can't actually undertand why Christian included them, though that's more likely to be me missing the point than anything Christian has done.

IAN

One of the problems with our TileProxy is a shortage of terminology... Of course, you use LOD 8 even if you don't use Christians LOD8 scenery. LOD8 is the resolution 'name' used for FSX's outer detail scenery ring - out there where the resolution is 160m/pixel. The physical area of this "ring" is 3x greater than all the rest; relieving TileProxy of the chore of creating the most massive scenery ring was the motivation. Christian provided the NASA 'Big Blue Marble' scenery at 500m/pixel resolution so that FSX could use it directly and TileProxy wouldn't have to make it. I don't use it myself usually because it's such a different color tone than the service 1 tiles I typically use. The point is definitely to take some of the workload off of TileProxy. The 500m resolution is very close to tile level "8.5" (if there were such a thing).I did try it with the pre-load set to 9 and got the same results that Mark did.... if the LOD8 scenery is enabled there's nothing for TP to do with this range so there's nothing to preload.Loyd

Hey loyd / Ian, following on from this, if you have your level mapping starting at 10, then surely, you need to set the minimum preload to 10 as well, yes? ( whats the point of asking it to preload 9 if you are starting at 10?)Or do I miss something here? Does the min & max preload settings refer to the same LOD levels as the max LOD setting? IE, 2 levels below the settings in the level mapping? In which case , if you were using christians world LOD8, and your level mapping started at level 10 ( LOD8), you would select min pre load 9, so as not to pre load the LOD8, as FSX would do this. The min and max preload values must be expressed in the same values as the level mapping settings.Cheers, markPS, been reading your documents, its fantastic, thank you!!

Hey loyd, following on from this, if you have your level mapping starting at 10, then surely, you need to set the minimum preload to 10 as well, yes? ( whats the point of asking it to preload 9 if you are starting at 10?)Cheers, markPS, been reading your documents, its fantastic, thank you!!
You are welcome; still a number of topics in front of me to delve into.Preload is stated in LOD scale (range 8-17)min_level, max_level, and Level mapping refers to image level (QMID scale - range 10-19)difference of 2LOD8 = level 10, so preload starting at 9 matches the image level 11 (oval 2)easy to overlook...Loyd

Cool, I get that now, I have replied under the other thread we have going about the level mapping, thanks, Mark