Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

HELP PLEASE! VC Window Reflections

Hi guys,I have got the Jetstream after i bought it this evening, my god is it a framerate killer!One of the biggest frame rate killer features is the Virtual Cockpit window reflections, and i was wondering how we could disable them for our PMDG FSX products??!?It can be done, as Captian sim 767 has an option in their configurator.Would love to find the solution [which i think is in the aircraft config]All the best guysAlex

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Please sign your full name in this forum.FSX Framerates is very seldom mentioned as a problem, so perhaps we should look at your set up for the answer. You are not using DX10 are you?

Dan Downs KCRP

Please sign your full name in this forum.FSX Framerates is very seldom mentioned as a problem, so perhaps we should look at your set up for the answer. You are not using DX10 are you?
It is highly unlikely that removing reflections would have any impact at all on performance. It's just a bitmap.

Vin Scimone

Precision Manuals Development Group

www.precisionmanuals.com

PMDG_NGX_Dev_Team_FB.jpg

Well as long as we're on the subject is there a way to remove them? In real life you don't see reflections like the ones many of the developers put in their VCs. The reflections do exist but nowhere near as much or prominent as I see in the VCs. Developers like to put reflections from the opposite side of the cockpit on the windows and I have never seen anything like that in 13 years of real airliner flying. I have some pictures I took in the 737 to show what you actually see. Notice about the only reflection you see is in the bottom left corner of the FOs window. Also in real life even where there are reflections you tend not to even notice them because your eye is focused outside the window. I personally would not like to see them in my FS VCs.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

Hi thanks Tom,No seriously guys, it does take up frames, i have tested it with software that you can remove the refelctions with a click of a button,Also i am pretty knowledgeable on how to get the best performance, so i just want this little increase, there is a way, i just want to know how to do it, OR PMDG release an option in the config to remove it..Alex Ridge

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Alex,I don't know how other developers do their window reflections, but please reread Vin's post in this thread. The reflections in the J41 are nothing but a texture map, just like any other piece of artwork in the panel - there's no processing going on in order to show them. I remember seeing alpha versions of the plane that didn't have them and there was no noticeable performance difference at all. We do know what we're doing here, we've been at this a long time and we're not putting features in that unnecessarily kill FPS.Tom,The reflections are obviously going to be dependent on the lighting circumstances in real life. The head of our company Robert has thousands of hours in the J41 and if he thinks the reflections are lifelike then I don't think we should be ones to argue. If they didn't look right to him they would have been changed or taken out.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I don't own the J41 product and have never been on one so I make no claim as to what is realistic for that plane. On the other hand I have been flying the 737-800 for American Airlines for almost nine years now and I can say what you see in the pictures I took is representative of what the pilot sees in normal conditions. I'm not basing it on just those two pictures. I spent a couple trips really looking trying to find reflections that you actually see when flying. That includes lighting conditions ranging from bright noon sun light to dusk, night and even a rainy day. I noticed they put the unrealistic reflections in the FS9 737NG product. I have also noticed the reflections in the 747 but not the MD-11. But I assure you in the real world 737 you do not see the reflections as they are in the FS9 737. I am hoping they do not appear on the upcoming 737NG 2.0. I just want to say I'm not keeping on about this to be a know it all or a jerk or anything but I believe we all buy PMDG products to have the most realistic experience possible and I wanted to provide some real world evidence to show what the pilot is actually seeing. All that being said I still have the question can the reflections be removed from the existing products? You said it is just a bitmap. Can that bitmap be removed or will that mess something else up? I would prefer to remove them if it is possible.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

All that being said I still have the question can the reflections be removed from the existing products? You said it is just a bitmap. Can that bitmap be removed or will that mess something else up? I would prefer to remove them if it is possible.
I'm with you Ralf...I don't care about performance gains or lack thereof, I'd also be interested in removing the V/C reflections if possible? How 'bout it?Robert Thomason

RE Thomason Jr.