Sign in to follow this  
ghiom

Terrain.dll crash while loading ->to blue screen

I have now this problem which I can't solve. My system has been working fine for years...FS9 loads quite slowly to the flight screen.From there I select a destination (my default is Aberdeen, USA) and the progress bar is supposed to start.It starts but with a delay and it takes time. When it reaches 43%, I get a Crash message from Windows XP telling me it is because of terrain.dll.I close the window and I go to a blue screen where it tells you that the PC was shut down to prevent from damage!Have you ever have that before?What is the reason. Faulty file? scenery?Help pleaseGhiom

The problem came back.When I remove the scenery (active=false) the problem goes away. So I tend to believe it is related to the scenery. But am I certain?And would it be related to the bgl, to a bad texture file?ThanksGhiom

I would say that if the problem goes away when you disable the scenery, then yes, that scenery is the problem.What scenery is it, filename and where you got it?regards,Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

The problem came back.When I remove the scenery (active=false) the problem goes away. So I tend to believe it is related to the scenery. But am I certain?And would it be related to the bgl, to a bad texture file?ThanksGhiom
If it is giving a terrain.dll error, then it is a faulty terrain mesh file - so it must be a bgl and not a texture file because terrain mesh files don't have texture files associated with them. Usually, mesh is placed in separate directories to other scenery as some say it gives memory problems if in a set of directories that include textures for other files.You don't say what the scenery is that you have isolated, but it sounds as if some selective experimental elimination of its bgl files would be worthwhile.Best wishes,John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

If it is giving a terrain.dll error, then it is a faulty terrain mesh file - so it must be a bgl and not a texture file because terrain mesh files don't have texture files associated with them. Usually, mesh is placed in separate directories to other scenery as some say it gives memory problems if in a set of directories that include textures for other files.You don't say what the scenery is that you have isolated, but it sounds as if some selective experimental elimination of its bgl files would be worthwhile.Best wishes,John
HiAlso, try this. I solve the CTD with terrain.dll message by editing terrain.cfg. Make backup, just in case ;-):Replacing all instances of "MaskClassMap=1" and "MaskClassMap=3" to "MaskClassMap=0". Hope this helpsEdin

Hi Peter. Here is a link to some info that may help. http://www.adventure-unlimited.org/faultfinding.php ,by John from above post.I believe Edin was referring to opening the ' terrain cfg. ' file not the terrain.dll.I hope this helps a little.Regards,MeP.S. By the way John, thank you for that 'page', it has come in handy for me on occasion.

Hi Peter. Here is a link to some info that may help. http://www.adventure-unlimited.org/faultfinding.php ,by John from above post.I believe Edin was referring to opening the ' terrain cfg. ' file not the terrain.dll.I hope this helps a little.Regards,MeP.S. By the way John, thank you for that 'page', it has come in handy for me on occasion.
Hi guys.Open only terrain.cfg (with notepad).Edin

Hi guys,Thank you both for that, yes I miss read the post. I have the page you linked to bookmarked and downloaded have found it really helpful in the past.Regards,Peter.