Sign in to follow this  
rhha

Optimising Vista for FSX

So many articles talk about disabling unwanted services to make Vista and FSX fly better, but which ones are specifically needed for FSX? My startup contains 18 items and at present 62 services are running, all with gobbledigook names which I dont understand. MS has always had a thing about being able to run more than one programme at a time but when I am flying in FSX I dont want ANYTHING else to run.I used to be able to set DOS 6 to configure for specific applications but now that is beyond my capabilities. If someone could list only the necessary stuff for the operating system to load could we not create a FSX specific user when all we want to do is fly?My motive for wanting more performance is to give the quad core processor more leg room for FSX which is a fantastic programme with stunning scenery I view at about 30 fps but which stutters.Any comments very welcomeRichard

Search this fourm for Nick N's set up guides. It will have all of the information you need+. There should be several threads that link to the guides. Also search the hardware forum.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Guest firehawk44
So many articles talk about disabling unwanted services to make Vista and FSX fly better, but which ones are specifically needed for FSX? My startup contains 18 items and at present 62 services are running, all with gobbledigook names which I dont understand. MS has always had a thing about being able to run more than one programme at a time but when I am flying in FSX I dont want ANYTHING else to run.I used to be able to set DOS 6 to configure for specific applications but now that is beyond my capabilities. If someone could list only the necessary stuff for the operating system to load could we not create a FSX specific user when all we want to do is fly?My motive for wanting more performance is to give the quad core processor more leg room for FSX which is a fantastic programme with stunning scenery I view at about 30 fps but which stutters.Any comments very welcomeRichard
I've looked all over the Internet for this one! I found a program called FSX ProcessKiller (http://www.simviation.com/fsxutilities1.htm) which does what you want to have done - kill unneeded services while using FSX. I thought there was a program developed by a former AVSIM Moderator but can't find it. I looked in the AVSIM reviews and in their store but couldn't find it. There may be other payware programs that are better but this is the only one I could find. Perhaps someone here on this forum will remember better than I can.Removing some of the unneeded services may help reduce your stutters but find tuning your system suggested by "duckbilled" may be a better solution. Nick N's site is here: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041. Defragging your hard drive after installing FSX and any addon scenery will help immeasurably. Hope this helps.Best regards,Jim

Guest WarpAir

I use Gamebooster to shut down all unneeded vista services, and programs of my selection.Works great, and easy to use.You might also want to check out Priffinity which helps to assign programs to certain cores and control task priority. You can do the same from taskmaneger, but settings in priaffinity are rettained even after reboot, taskmaneger cant do that.Putting some of those fsx addons on low prirority and assigning them to core fsx not using can help to reduce stutters, i would rather have my addons like ASA stuttering rather than FSX.http://iobit.com/gamebooster.html?Str=download

I thought there was a program developed by a former AVSIM Moderator but can't find it. I looked in the AVSIM reviews and in their store but couldn't find it.
Jim,I believe you are reffering to a program by Ken Salter called AlacrityPC. It can shutdown background processes and much more. It can be found here:http://alacritypc.kensalter.com/

Guest KenS

If you use AMD system try AMD Fusion available at AMD Gamer site.Happy Flying - Ken

I believe you are reffering to a program by Ken Salter called AlacrityPC. It can shutdown background processes and much more.
I've been using it on Vista 32, and I found it to be very flexible and easy to configure.Having said that, I found the FPS improvements to be very small and it didn't really do anything for stutters. It did quite a bit with help with memory use on Vista32, but I've since switched to 64-bit Win7 so memory is no longer much of an issue, and I no longer use it.On the other hand, I've found FPS_Limiter to be a great cure-all for stutters. See this thread: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_post...=29685&PN=1