Sign in to follow this  
jetlover1118

Win 7 And Display Drivers

I've read the post from people dealing with disappearing pmdg aircraft textures and posted on this issue myself.What I've found is this is not a pmdg,sound or FSX issue.This is a VISTA issue. The driver failures in vista are what caused the disappearing aircraft textures on my system.It appears these vista errors affect pmdg aircraft more than other addons. When I get the error message (Display driver nvddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered) this is when I lose my pmdg aircraft textures. Win 7 is supposed to be much better with hardware drivers than vista.My question is, has anyone running win 7 gotten this driver error message?Alex

I've read the post from people dealing with disappearing pmdg aircraft textures and posted on this issue myself.What I've found is this is not a pmdg,sound or FSX issue.This is a VISTA issue. The driver failures in vista are what caused the disappearing aircraft textures on my system.It appears these vista errors affect pmdg aircraft more than other addons. When I get the error message (Display driver nvddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered) this is when I lose my pmdg aircraft textures. Win 7 is supposed to be much better with hardware drivers than vista.My question is, has anyone running win 7 gotten this driver error message?Alex
Not wanting to put a damper on it but sorry it is not a Vsita issue. I had the same thing happen when running under XP ages ago. I have also had it is Vista as well and never once has my driver stopped and recovered. It may be for you that this triggers it but certainly is not just a Vista issue.Having said all that I have not seen this issue on my PC for quite a long time now-- John Veldthuis

I have seven(7) computers in my home all but one(1) running XP and I have never had a problem with driver failure or pmdg texture errors.This is a new feature in vista that is designed to help prevent crashes and the dreaded BSOD in XP caused by driver error.It works pretty well but in FSX textures don't fully reload after recovery.Alex

Here is an example of what happens on my vista system after a driver failure and recovery. The pmdg 747 looks as though it's been skined. Also look at the background and notice there are no terminal buildings only jetways.Alex

Here is an example of what happens on my vista system after a driver failure and recovery. The pmdg 747 looks as though it's been skined. Also look at the background and notice there are no terminal buildings only jetways.Alex
Alex,I did have same problem almost over a year. It did start with XP and continued on Vista32 then Vista62. Only way I solved the problem , when I switched to FSX DX:10 Review Mode with Anti-aliasing box checked and Anisotropic filtering selected. tes, DX:10 Review mode have some eye candy problems, but never like Skinned aircraft with disappeared scenery.Try it, it did work for me I hope it works for you alsoSanal

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

Guest abulaafia

I only see this problem with nhancer. Remove it and use the new nvidia drivers WITHOUT special nhancer settings.

Thanks for the reply. Yes I use nhancer and I'll remove it and configure the gpu through the control panel. I'll also activate FSX DX10 preview mode and see what happens. I have a brand new copy of Win 7 Pro on my desk that I'll install when I'm tired of fighting vista.Thanks Alex

Thanks for the reply. Yes I use nhancer and I'll remove it and configure the gpu through the control panel. I'll also activate FSX DX10 preview mode and see what happens. I have a brand new copy of Win 7 Pro on my desk that I'll install when I'm tired of fighting vista.Thanks Alex
I use the latest version of nhancer and nvidia drivers (sorry, not at my PC right now) for Win 7 x64 and all's well. Be a good view in that 747 tho. Bet that'll convince people to wear their seat belts at all times!Cheers, Chris Dalgarno

nHancer is nothing but a frontend for the driver's configuration file, called nvapps.xml - it's simply a better way to control the driver, it's not doing anything on its own that's not already available within the driver.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

nHancer is nothing but a frontend for the driver's configuration file, called nvapps.xml - it's simply a better way to control the driver, it's not doing anything on its own that's not already available within the driver.
Here is my report on the topic:STARTING WITH:System was not overclocked - CPU running on stock freqFresh install of a brad new Windows 7x64, latest Nvidia driver 191, sound driver, FSX + Acceleration and PMDG J41 SP1 - Without any other add ons the simulation was running flawlessly in moderate settings - no graphic corruptions, no black screen, good frame rates etc.Further on I installed several add ons - ASA, MyTraffic 2010 few scenery enhancements which hit on the frame rates but did not lead to graphic problems again.FEW DAYS AGO:I installed the nHancer with latest Nick's recommendation for the settings. Flying in heavy scenery and traffic started bringing back the corruptions like Black screen on Alt+Tab or Alt+Ent, disappearing airplane skin on view switching etc...WHERE DID I FOUND MY SOLUTION:I overclocked the system up to 3,7 GHz (stock 3,2) and manually adjusted the RAM clocks and frequency (in the Nicks post he mentions importance of RAM and RAM clocks but I did not pay attention before). Without any other changes (haven't touched driver, sound settings, nHancer or the FSX graphic settings) now I have few hours flying without (touch wood) any problems. Same time I used Alt+Tab, Alt+Ent and other view switching without any graphic issues.So, I start to believe that the whole problem with the graphic corruptions is:a ) Memory relatedb ) Overall processor capabilityc ) Has nothing or little to do with the nHancer- still under question remains why different users resolve the problem with reverting to old drivers (like nvidia 182). For me personally did not work on my previous system with Vistax64Any other comments will be appreciated...P.S. and I hope I'm not gonna get screwed graphics next time as a punishment for my post Nail%20Biting.gif

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

Just to be clear, my point wasn't that nHancer isn't increasing the load on the system - it is, primarily through increasing the video card's AA level. The point was that nHancer isn't doing anything on it's own, it's just an easier way of turning on features that are already there in the driver.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Just to be clear, my point wasn't that nHancer isn't increasing the load on the system - it is, primarily through increasing the video card's AA level. The point was that nHancer isn't doing anything on it's own, it's just an easier way of turning on features that are already there in the driver.
Fair enough Ryan, but you know what they say about giving someone enough rope.... :-)

- William Ruppel, CYTZ, VATSIM 816871

Guest abulaafia
Very true. It used to allow settings that weren't possible with the driver, especially some sampling combinations. It has been largely obsolete though since the 18x. series came out. These were the first drivers that allowed FSX to display optimally by using Aniso and in-game AA. We found that even the latest versions of nhancer, when used with current drivers, do nothing to improve image quality and are the cuase of graphic corruption on longer flights (particularily when graphic-intensive add-ons such as HD textures are used). Unfortunately nhancer is still touted as a miracle tool by a few gurus who don't keep up with technology, causing enormous headaches for many many users.

We found that even the latest versions of nhancer, when used with current drivers, do nothing to improve image quality
I disagree here.You can see improvement even from the startup screen when using AA 8+Q and higher. The microlight has better image quality. Further the gauges have better appearance etc. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,

Martin Martinov / VATSIM 1207931

I had a problem with the driver crashing when flying in dense clouds.Screen was going black for a short while and came back. I noticed that my GFX card was running hot because that stupid nvidia driver did not spool up the fan properly.Black%20Eye.gifThe driver died whenever the temperature went over 85