Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

Graphics issue since SP1

I have these strange moving lines in the VC since upgrading to SP1 on the J4100. I wonder if anyone knows what the solution to this issue is? thanks,http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Q5G-1...feat=directlinkMark W.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I have these strange moving lines in the VC since upgrading to SP1 on the J4100. I wonder if anyone knows what the solution to this issue is? thanks,http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Q5G-1...feat=directlinkMark W.
Hi Mark,I have this graphic issue as well. While it may be related to the "intermittent" graphic issues in the thread that Andrew mentioned that seem to be helped by turning off the icing effects or running a fresh FSX.cfg, the bezel issue is not affected by a fresh FSX.cfg, changing any parameter in the configuration manager or Nhancer that I have tried. If you are seeing what I am, these artifacts are persistent moving light lines on the switch bezels that you circled. The lines move ("shimmer") when banking, climbing, diving and calm down in level flight. I have them on other bezels as well, but these are the most apparent. It's as if part of the the bezels are not being antialiased. I spent the better part of the afternoon yesterday between FSX, Nhancer and some football trying to tune these out. The 182.50 driver seems to be a somewhat better than the 195.62 with this issue, but the newer one has solved issues I have in other apps. I have also seen these moving lines on the bezels in some of the YouTube videos as well.I tried an uninstall and a pre-SP1 JS4100 install, but no joy.Below is an earlier post in the Video Cards and Driver forum with some more clues that may be helpful:<<I'm curious as to which settings help the most with VC antialiasing. Using 191.07 I have Nhancer setup with Nick's recommendations and everything is acceptable except I get moire type antaliasing in some VC's. I see these issues mostly on 'glass' type gauges and they go away when I zoom in close. For example in the PMDG BAe JS4100 when zoomed back to a reasonable distance the vertical line next to the speed tape on the EADI looks looks like a moving barber pole when I bank. The bezels on the button above the EADI shimmer as well in a bank and when I pan to the co-pilots side it's a shimmering mess until I zoom in close. This issue also seem to rear it's ugly head on gauges like the rxpGNS-530. Although a panel like the RealAir Beech Duke with 3D steam gauges is fine (except of course the Garmin). I'm thinking this just may be an issue with the way these 'glass' gauges are programmed and rendered as other 3D modeling in the VC look fine.Today I just installed Windows 7 x64 on a fresh drive and installed nothing but 191.07. I wasn't expecting any changes with this issue and there were none. Previously in Vista 64 I had the same issues which were improved somewhat by rolling back to 182.50. I hesitate to try rolling back to older drivers on my squeaky clean Windows 7 as I run other apps that liked these better in Vista.>>Most frustrating in what has otherwise been a wonderful experience with the Jetstream. Any suggestions as to possible solutions would be appreciated.Brett Linker

Skyscraper

Yeah I have those same lines and have just decided to ignore them as just a problem with the sp1. It sucks but I enjoy flying this plane so much that I have just overlooked this small issue.

The bezel thing is just something that happens when you have geometry as detailed as this VC is, the FS engine can be quirky with multiple "ledges" close to eachother when you have 3D buttons etc. Not much can be done aside from using something like supersampling AA, but I don't think there's any video cards that won't take a huge performance hit from SSAA...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Ryan,Yep, supersampling does seem to clean it up nicely. Could of sworn that was one of the bazillion things I tried yesterday. 4x4 makes for a glorious slide show. 2x2 still cleans up the panel much better than combined 8xS, while maintaining a decent frame rate but scenery shimmers. Wonder what else that will break. Might be a compromise though, with the right weather... er fog. A few more things to try and tweak and I can get back to the sky.Thanks for the help...Brett Linker

Skyscraper

Changing the mip mapping quality and applying some anisotropic filtering usually stops the shimmering.廖傑英 (Chris)

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Changing the mip mapping quality and applying some anisotropic filtering usually stops the shimmering.廖傑英 (Chris)
Hi ChrisUsing supersampling 2x2 I have tried 8x and 16x (my standard setting) anisotropic filtering and the shimmering "out-the-window" and object antialiasing is worse than combined 8xS (1x2 supersampling + 4x multisampling) which is my default setting. However the "switch bezel issue" is significantly improved with super sampling 2x2 over combined 8xS. I have noticed that the "switch bezel issue" is less annoying in the right seat so I'm flying from there for now. Where do I tweak "mip mapping quality"?Brett Linker

Skyscraper

Shimmering in FS is generally caused by mip maps. On FS9 you could change it under graphics tab, MIP mapping quality went from 1 to 8 and turning it down from 7/8 to 5/6 use to fix ground texture shimmer for myself. On FSX it's not so easy, you'll have to do it within your graphics drivers; Catalyst Control Centre if you use ATI, otherwise it's nVidia Control Panel. You may also be able to do it in the FSX.cfg.I'm actually using nHancer to control my graphics driver, because it gives you more options, more control, and it explains options thoroughly and offers previews via weblinks. My settings are:Anti-Aliasing: 4x multisampling (Enhance in-game AA setting), Transparency multi-samplingAnisotropic Filtering: 6x (this is not an officially supporter nVidia mode, so you can't enable it through nVidia Control Panel)Texture filtering: QualityTrilinear optimisation: on Anisotropic sample optimisation: onYou may also want to try clamping LoD bias, that can fix some shimmering issues. I think 8xS is preferable for AA but it puts too much strain on my laptop. Changing the texture filtering from Quality to High Quality will see a performance hit of up to 15%, but might fix your shimmering too. I found this more hardcore solution from a Mr.E Solved: http://www.motherboardpoint.com/why-does-s...nk-t110469.htmlChris (廖傑英)

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Shimmering in FS is generally caused by mip maps. On FS9 you could change it under graphics tab, MIP mapping quality went from 1 to 8 and turning it down from 7/8 to 5/6 use to fix ground texture shimmer for myself. On FSX it's not so easy, you'll have to do it within your graphics drivers; Catalyst Control Centre if you use ATI, otherwise it's nVidia Control Panel. You may also be able to do it in the FSX.cfg.
I use the mip maps setting in FS9. Was just wondering if there was an equivalent in fsx.cfg
I'm actually using nHancer to control my graphics driver, because it gives you more options, more control, and it explains options thoroughly and offers previews via weblinks. My settings are:Anti-Aliasing: 4x multisampling (Enhance in-game AA setting), Transparency multi-samplingAnisotropic Filtering: 6x (this is not an officially supporter nVidia mode, so you can't enable it through nVidia Control Panel)Texture filtering: QualityTrilinear optimisation: on Anisotropic sample optimisation: onYou may also want to try clamping LoD bias, that can fix some shimmering issues. I think 8xS is preferable for AA but it puts too much strain on my laptop. Changing the texture filtering from Quality to High Quality will see a performance hit of up to 15%, but might fix your shimmering too.
I use Nhancer as well generally following NickN's recommendations...Anisotropic Filtering: 16xTexture Filtering: High QualityTrilinear optimisation: off Anisotropic sample optimisation: offNegative LOD Bias: ClampI'll try some of your settings (they generally seem to be less demanding) but I am pretty happy with the performance/quality of NickN's suggestions except for the "switch bezel issue" I described above. I'm trying now to find a compromise between reducing the "switch bezel issue" without trashing the view "outside much".
I found this more hardcore solution from a Mr.E Solved: http://www.motherboardpoint.com/why-does-s...nk-t110469.htmlChris (廖傑英)
Thanks for sharing your settings and I'll read through the link when time allows. I've had enough tweaking for awhile. My patient search for FSX nirvana continues... Brett Linker

Skyscraper

I don't blame you Brett mate, most of the setting changes require FSX to be restarted... FSX takes an age to load on my system and even more so with the JS41! Doesn't help FSX is so picky over the settings, enabling some features seems to break others. For example, I can't get my anti-aliasing working in window mode for some reason :-SI think shimmering is quite a widespread issue so it maybe worth googling or searching the Avsim forums; truth be told I'm not that well informed on the matter, I just know on my setup I don't get shimmering and I don't take too much of a performance hit. Afraid I've pretty much exhausted my knowledge on the subject now.Good luck with your tweaking,Chris (廖傑英)

support1.jpg