Sign in to follow this  
pkofman

fsx on two drives

How can i install a second copy of fsx on a second drive, fsx never gives me the option to change the drive . O/s W7 64I want one installation on drive c: ( no problem it installs ), my current install and runsI wnat the other on drive d: every time i try to install a second copy it never gives me a drive choice, and simply want to either repair of delete the 1st drive installation How do i get the drive choice .Help Peter

How can i install a second copy of fsx on a second drive, fsx never gives me the option to change the drive . O/s W7 64I want one installation on drive c: ( no problem it installs ), my current install and runsI wnat the other on drive d: every time i try to install a second copy it never gives me a drive choice, and simply want to either repair of delete the 1st drive installation How do i get the drive choice .Help Peter
Peter,When Microsoft installs FSX and then you try to install a second copy it looks for the fsx.exe file. If it finds it existing it won't let you install more than one copy. To fool Microsoft into letting you install more than one copy on the same computer here is how I do it.Find the fsx.exe in the root directory of your original installation of FSX and rename it to something else like fsx.exe.org. Now you should be able to install a second copy on your computer. Once finished with the second installation then go back and rename the fsx.exe.org back to fsx.exe and everything should work fine. Only remember that you now have your registry listing the latest installation path and if other programs have trouble finding your original installation you will know why but it usually won't be a problem...Have fun...fisheye

Peter,I will assume that you do NOT have an OS on the second(d) drive,in which case all you have to do is copy and paste the FSX folder from the c drive to the d drive......That is,basically,just a backup...You can run FSX from the d drive by just going into the root folder and double clicking the FSX,EXE file or you can create an icon(shortcut) on your desktop....HTH Lou

Peter,usually won't be a problem...However you will have to remember that the configuration files in C:\Documents and Settings\user name\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX will be shared with both copies. This means your flights, configuration settings, and camera settings. Have fun...fisheye

Hello,fisheye Your first post had not been posted when I started typing mine,or I would not have responded...Did not intend to reflect on your post(if you took it that way) Sorry..Lou