Sign in to follow this  
markturner

How to achieve the best antialiasing using DX10

I have been experimenting with DX10 preview, the only drawback i can find so far is that my antialiasing is not so good. I have experimented with a few settings in the Nvidia control panel, but they don't seem to make much difference. Is there a hard coded limit within the DX10 hooks in FSX as to how far you can go with this setting? I thought "enhance application settings " would help, but it does not. Any ideas appreciated,Cheers, Mark

Guest UlfB

Mark,I use DX9 mode and nHancer to get an effective AA to reduce shimmering.This is what Nick Needham has to say on DX10:

Vista and DX10? If so Nhancer has no control, neither will the Nvidia control panel. DX10 is broken in FSX and will only respect the DX flag Aces put into it for AA.. For DX10 you must CHECK AA and set filtering to anisotropic in FSX.. do not forget to reverse that if you switch back to DX9 mode.
Quoted from Nicks tuning guide: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041an excellent source for information when you've got any problems with FSX.

Hey Ulf, thx, I had read what Nick said and his guide many times. I guess then the answer to my hypothetical question is NO, you ARE stuck with the setting hard coded in the DX10 flags.Cheers, Mark

Few months ago I had a good old 22' CRT monitor with very high resolution.The AA issue was almost not perceptible.Unfortunately my IIyama has given up the ghost and I replaced it with an LCD.Since then I can't use Dx10 no more.The only hope is getting a 30' LCD @ 2560 x 1600 but hey! they are so expensive and rare!

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Guest UlfB

Yes - higher resolution would be nice, but as you say - too expensive.

Few months ago I had a good old 22' CRT monitor with very high resolution.The AA issue was almost not perceptible.Unfortunately my IIyama has given up the ghost and I replaced it with an LCD.Since then I can't use Dx10 no more.The only hope is getting a 30' LCD @ 2560 x 1600 but hey! they are so expensive and rare!
That's one wicked sound card that you have!! :(

I have a Dell 30 inch, its a real peach and I have to say, the image is pretty good :( . But I do notice the lack of antialiasing on the plane models compared to when I run Nhancer and DX9, even at 2560 x 1600. Cant have it all I guess.......Cheers, Mark