Sign in to follow this  
JiBrady

FS 2004 -How good is mountain terrain?

There were add-on products that improved elevation data for FS 2002. These products made the mountains look better. How does FS2004 compare to FS2002 in this area? Will we still want to buy add-on products to obtain the improvements, or has FS 2004 already done this for us?Thanks,Jim

Happy to hear that, weren't you! :) :) ;)

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

>Yep . . . The kids will eat for another couple of years, at>leastAs will we - a healthy diet of quality mesh and landclass!

I7-7700k@4.7ghz | 32gb RAM | EVGA GTX1080 8gb | Mostly P3Dv5 (also IL2:BoX, DCS, XP11)

Justin,Will I be able to use the product I purchased for FS2002 (your products) to "upgrade" FS2004, or will a new set be required?Thanks,Jim

I know that even freeware mesh scenery designed for FS2K & FS2002 still works.

"I know that even freeware mesh scenery designed for FS2K & FS2002 still works."ah, excellent! That way I can feed my virtual kids with my virtual dollars for the next couple of years too ;-)Cheers, Holger

Yes, the terrain works fine.The current installers won't locate FS9 yet, but I'm working on that. For now, you'll have to manually copy the files to your(fs9)sceneryworldsceneryfolder and you'll need to adjust one line of your FS9.cfg file in order to see the higher-resolution mesh. The 76.4m terrain will show up fine with the default setting, but to see the 38.2m you'll have to changeTERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19to =20and to see the 9.6m change it to =21 (or 22?)I'll have a complete transition tutorial up on my web site before FS9 hits the shelves.Thanks-------Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.netHigh Quality Scenery for FS200x

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

is it the same with landclass?

Hi HolgerIf you made the British Columbia mesh I would like to thank you. You did an excellent job and made my local flights a 1000% more enjoyable.FloydMission B.C.

Guest JonP01

I've seen some FS2004 screenshots where the terrain mesh resolution has improved since FS2002. These were shots taken of Australian scenery. Therefore, I guess there have been some enhancements in limited areas where the previous terrain resolution was very low to start with.

Hi Floyd:thanks for the kind words - much appreciated!Where else to fly but in B.C.? ;-)Cheers, Holger

>I've seen some FS2004 screenshots where the terrain mesh>resolution has improved since FS2002. These were shots taken>of Australian scenery. Therefore, I guess there have been some>enhancements in limited areas where the previous terrain>resolution was very low to start with.I do believe that the FS2002 Australian mesh was sampled at approx 1 klm intervals -- so this meant that many features of the Aussie landscape( like the volcanic plugs called the Glasshouse Mountains north of Brisbane ) did not appear. I do hope that the resolution is better in FS2004Barry

Guest hermes

"Where else to fly but in B.C?"try Reunion Island (FMEE) with mesh scenery it's nice withStrongly recommended add-ons :- Landclass Ile de la R