Sign in to follow this  
JiBrady

FS 2004 -How good is mountain terrain?

I have a press beta copy, not the gold version and don't see a fs9.cfg file anywhere. Where is it in your install? Just curious.Thanks.Hornit

Gidday Jon,Where abouts are these shots. I am very interested to see if YPPH (Perth International) has been dug out of the crater that it found itself in, in FS2002.Cheers and thanks for the info,Chris Porter:-outtaPerthWestern AustraliaIntel Pentium IV 3.0GHz (800FSB) Socket 478 pins CPU w/Hyper-Thread Technology MSI 875P NEO FIS2R, AGP 8X, i875P ICH5R Chipset with Gigiabit LanKingmax 512MB PC3200 Double Data Rate (DDR) RAM CAS-2.5- 400MHz Rated x 2BUILT By ATI (Original) Radeon 9800PRO w/TV Out & DVI 128Meg DDRTEAC DV-W50E, 4x DVD-R/ 2x RW, 16xCD-R, 8xCD-RW, 16xDVD, 32x CD-ROM Internal Drive Only Western Digital Raptor 36.0GB HDD IDE, 8MB Cache, 5.2ms, 10,000rpm , S-ATA, w/DataLifeguard WD 40Gig HD for dataATX 470W Pentium IV Power Supply CESkyhawk Jupiter Aluminum CaseHyundai -ImageQuest P910 , 19" Multi-Scan Digital MonitorHercules Game Theater XP, 6.1 speakers Dolby

Guest JonP01

Hi Chris,I haven't seen anything to suggest YPPH environs mesh has been improved upon, nor YPAD or YMML. Sydney on the other hand at least benefits hugely from the new satellite texturing, but I'm not sure about the mesh. It seems that any obvious improvements I've seen in people's screenshots seem to be restricted to areas in eastern Australia. Perhaps MS noticed a lot of "flatness" west of the Great Dividing range so they didn't wish to devote the time and resources to developing a higher res mesh (that said, Uluru seems a bit more shapely and less "blobby" than in FS2002). And also my own home airport YSCN (Camden on the extreme south west of the Sydney basin) shows no change at all in the mesh detail.Here are some that in the following links that appear better than FS2002:http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=7836and here's YBCS looking a lot better:http://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?t=7521I remember asking for YSTM as well, but the screenshot would have been purged from Avsim by now. Nevertheless, the mesh looked more accurate there as well. It's a bit hard to tell exactly what is improved or not without having the sim though. Sometimes a screenshot can fool the eyes a bit. For my part, I just hope the Great Dividing is good enough for me to go VFR there without any navaids at all other than a chart. The problem with the existing add-on mesh for FS2002 is that it suddenly goes low-res halfway between Sydney and Orange, meaning the mountain line pluges down like a waterfall. But Eastern Vic to my eyes has always been pretty good for a $120 game.