Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

A Question For Windows 64 bit Users?

Have any 64bit users found an email client that will work with webmail such as xxxxxxxxx@hotmail.comI don't hate Outlook, so that's out.There are some links to alleged 64bit fixes for Windows Live Mail, but I haven't found anything that works.Thanks any help

Have you tried the internet browser Opera? It has an email client built in and should download from Hotmail. I haven't tried it as I do not use Hotmail for any email.
Thanks for suggestion, but no, it doesn't work with Hotmail :(

I've had my MSN/Hotmail account since 1996 so am loathed to loose it - too many people have it.Many thanks for that link Peter. I thought that was going to be the answer. It works for my MSN account, but alas not for my IMAP account.Good grief! Life is just soooooo complicated sometimes :(

Hi DougalWhat problems with MSN Live mail client are talking about?I have used LIVE mail on both Vista Ultimate 64bit and now on W7 ultimate 64bit, with both hotmail accounts and Imap account, works like a charm for me.I do like Outlook better, but i dont have Office installed and have found that the Live client works just fine for my use.Also, the mail client in Opera do work with all types of mail, I have used that one earlier, only reason I dont use it any more is because I want to separate my browsing from my mailing ;)Hope you find a solutionEdit: By the way, I just did a quick check on my Opera 10, and it imported my hotmail account right away, easiest thing, and Opera also supports IMAP.Regards Audun

Hi DougalWhat problems with MSN Live mail client are talking about?I have used LIVE mail on both Vista Ultimate 64bit and now on W7 ultimate 64bit, with both hotmail accounts and Imap account, works like a charm for me.I do like Outlook better, but i dont have Office installed and have found that the Live client works just fine for my use.Also, the mail client in Opera do work with all types of mail, I have used that one earlier, only reason I dont use it any more is because I want to separate my browsing from my mailing ;)Hope you find a solutionEdit: By the way, I just did a quick check on my Opera 10, and it imported my hotmail account right away, easiest thing, and Opera also supports IMAP.Regards Audun
Hi Audun & thanks.Bizarre! Windows Live Mail certainly won't work with XP-Pro 64 bit. There's a plethora of articles about it on the web. Some of which even supply suposed fixes, but I haven't found any that work. The installer simply fails with a 'System Not Supported' error message.As for Opera, there seems to be a problem with it accepting my SMTP server address. If I run it from Outlook, it works, but the same setting on Opera just 'Time Out'.Maybe I should simplify things and just have ONE email address eh?