Sign in to follow this  
G-SWSM

Any Alaska / Antartic Scenerys Around !

Hi.Anyone know of any good alaska or antartic sceneries around at all please.freeware or Payware as long as they are good.Many thanks.

Hi.Anyone know of any good alaska or antartic sceneries around at all please.freeware or Payware as long as they are good.Many thanks.
If you have not seen the two part Glacier Bay scenery by Holger Sandmann and friends, you are in for a real treat.It is freeware but as good as his payware Misty Fiords and Tongas offerings. :( :( :( http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...n&Go=SearchEnjoy!!

Hi.Opa, You Da MaaaaanThanks very much.Unfortunately the Avsim download came back negative with the "oops image not found" and the download button gave an error too. But I was able to grab it from Flightsim.com instead.Thank you very much for the heads up on this great looking scenery.And yes, I agree, the Freeware are often as good if not Better than the Payware sceneries.PS when I installed this product, the manual kept referring to a user control panel that was available for us to select / deselect certain things. But I cannot find this control panel anywhere. Any suggestions on this.Thanks again Opa.

Hi again.Well, after three un-installs and re-installs I have decided to remove this scenery, and all traces of it.I installed it as per instructions, and wondered why it kept referring in the manual to install glacier bay 2a.zip, then after that install the glacier bay 2b.zip. I couldn't see a 2b zip anywhere.I encountered CTD's with FE.DLL messages, and after looking in the main FS directory noticed this FS Addon folder, which had the two yellow folders for glacier bay scenery and glacier bay land.I am somewhat confused by this, and can't help but think that this could have been made a lot clearer by the makers.for instance, it did not show up anywhere in the FS scenery selection when trying to "go to airport" and yet it was in the scenery cfg?Then theres all this stuff in the add-on folder like cash etc. I just tried a complete manual install with the usual routine, and even then after adding it manually to FS I was still getting crashes with this FE.DLL message.I'm very confused and can't figure this out.It's a shame as when I did get it to load it looked great, but obviously anything that looks great but causes crashes is not going to stay in FS.Thanks again for the heads up on the scenery, but until someone does something radical with the installer, and the other installer it asks you to install but can't because it's not there, I will give it a wide berth.

Did you miss the fact that it is two part download ? glbayv2a.zip and glbayv2b.zipHundreds of us have downloaded the two zip files and installed it with no issues at all.Hope you will give it another shot as it is excellent. BTW - This is one set of auto-installers that does work "as advertised". I do not usually trust auto-installers but this one is the exception.

Hi David.Well, this might be a part of the problem.as you pointed out, it is a two part file, but, Avsim does not let me download it. It just gives me an error when trying to use either the download button, of if I click on the part1 or 2 links I get the same thing.So I went over to flightsim and grabbed it. This is where it seems to have gone wrong as it only listed the one part.I will have another look around.What did you think about my errors etc. do you think that this because I did not have the part2?Also, did you see my points about this being a somewhat over complicated install altogether.I have never come across something like this, and tend to be somewhat weary about what goes into my F'S folder which is why I prefer to install manually in the first place, and seeing all of those other folders scattered around the place made me worried.I hope you understand what I am talking about here. It's Not a bash at the developer in any way, just that it could have been made simpler.

Both files are at Flightsim - unfortunately the description there does not tie the two together (as it does at Avsim) - but if memory serves, the need for both is clearly indicated in the documentation.Your issues were due to not running the second part. Follow the instructions to the letter and you should have no problems.After the install is complete you will be presented with a "configuration" dialogue which allows you to tweak the installation according to what other enhancements you already have installed.In my opion this one of the best installers that has been offerred in recent years.

Hi.I followed the installer instructions to the letter as you advised, but I am still getting FE.DLL error messages from FS when using this scenery.any thoughts on this ?Thanks.

Hi.I followed the installer instructions to the letter as you advised, but I am still getting FE.DLL error messages from FS when using this scenery.any thoughts on this ?Thanks.
Only an educated guess - an FE.dll error often refers to a bad texture on an AI aircraft.Since you did not "complete" the installation properly the first go around, did you uninstall that first attempt before trying it all again - or did you just proceed with the second part?I would un-install what you now have - following the uninstall directions in the pdf file - reboot - and then try the installation all over again - as if from scratch.Possibly something got corrupted in the original first phase and getting rid of that and then installing the entire thing properly "might" solve the problem.That is the way I would proceed - for what it may be worth.

You can also try the freeware "Pete & Sid's Viva Scenery" series. These are enhancments of airports in Alaska and Canada, including 100 airports in Alaska alone. I also recommend the FRF Studio versions of Fairbanks and Anchorage. This stuff is all right here in the Avsim libaries. :(

Don't forget to grab a copy of Dutch Harbor...although, I really wish that someone would do an audio file with Mike Rowe's voice saying something like..."Dutch Harbor, the home of the deadliest catch" with the Rod Serling quality he has :)Mark

Hi.Thanks Sidney and Mark.I will have a look for the sceneries you mention.Thanks.

Misty Fjords by: Holger Sandmann @ FSAddon (Payware) it compliments Glacier Bay nicely!Best regards,Mel