Sign in to follow this  
karbil

How important is FSUIPC4?

I posted here a problem I was having with running FSUIPC4 which would result in FSX freezing after loading a flight. All runs well if I do not run FSUIPC4. I was referred over to Pete Dowson's forum who has for a week tried to be helpful but to no avail. He believes it something to do with one of my SimConnect files not appearing or possibly corrupt. The last thing he has recommened is to do an uninstall and reinstall. I would like to avoid that;and, so that brings me to my original question. If all appears to be running well with my add-ons, GEX, and UTX, do I really need for some reason to run FSUIPC4 when I start FSX? Thanks for any response. Bob K.

Guest UlfB

No need to use FSUIPC if you have no use for it and if none of your add ons is using it. Why did you install FSUIPC in the first place?But fact remains. FSUIPC is not the cause of your problems. Something is not OK with your system. But if FSX works OK and you have no other problems it seems to be a good idea to uninstall FSUIPC since you actually don't use it.

Their are aircraft out there that use the feee FSUIPC, so if they dont work after you removed it thats why. FSUIPC the pay version has some good things going for it, which is why i purchased it, but if you have issues go to the website and let them know, there is something else causing the issue, also get the latest ver and see if that helps.

BobIt looks like to me that you could have a corrupt WinSxS folder (corrupt dll or manifest) and even a reinstall of FSX may still not correct the problem!Which OS are you running XP or Vista?Have you tried to run sfc /scannow? (or sfc.exe)XP Link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310747; http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.htmlVista link:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228After that you could run chkdsk to see if that resolves your issue.No guarantees just another point of view.Good luckPeterH

Personally, I do have a bought and paid for version of FSUIPC, but I think I probably could live without it even though it does have some features I use.My take on it is, everyone should buy it anyway, since the author has probably done more for flight simulation in creating it than perhaps any other individual, so he deserves a bung of cash from us all.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Karbil - This sentence in your submission gives me thought: >>All runs well if I do not run FSUIPC4<<What exactly does that mean? FSUIPC4 is installed in 'Modules' and is seen by FSX whenever it runs, with some addons relying on it (as previously said). As far as I know, you can't stop and start it. You do have to open it to take action to use some of its many features, like setting a button press for example, but it is always there.Can I make a suggestion? As you do not want to go through uninstall/reinstall unnecessarily, I suggest you uninstall FSUIPC4 and give FSX a good workout without it. If the problem persists you will know that FSUIPC4 is not to blame. Incidentally, I echo one of your responder's comments re Pete Dowson. He is one of the great heroes of Flight Simulation.

Regards

Frank Jones

Wow! Thanks everyone for your responses and suggestions. To the writer who asked how can I run FSX without FSUIPC4 if it is in my Modules folder, here is the explanation. When I start-up FSX as it is loading, a window appears and asks me if I want to run FSUIPC4. If I chose "yes" another window appears and asks me if I want to run FSUIPC4 for this sesion only or do I want to run it for all sessions. I chose for only this session. Be that is it may, if I run FSUIPC4, is when FSX freezes. If I chose not to run FSUIPC4, all seems to be OK. I will run the scans suggested by the other writer and see what happens. I'll let you know if I am able to resolve the problem. I am probably not going to spend much more time on this as some of you have said I really don't seem to need FSUIPC4. BTW, FSX has worked well for me for years with the various versions of FSUIPC until recently. I agree that one or some of my files related to SimConnect must have become corrupt. Thanks again. Oh, I'm running on Windows XP. Bob K.

>>When I start-up FSX as it is loading, a window appears and asks me if I want to run FSUIPC4<< That's not right. I wonder why it's doing that!

Regards

Frank Jones

Guest kdundon
>>When I start-up FSX as it is loading, a window appears and asks me if I want to run FSUIPC4<< That's not right. I wonder why it's doing that!
That is what will happen. If you select this session only it will ask you again the next time FSX starts. When you select yes all the time it lists it in the FSX.cfg file and does not ask anymore unless you update it to a newer version. Been like that since FSX came out. Ken

Thanks, Ken. I've been using FSUIPC for about 15 years. I never knew that choice existed. Great to learn some thing new, although I can't see why one would use it that way.

Regards

Frank Jones

Thanks, Ken. I've been using FSUIPC for about 15 years. I never knew that choice existed. Great to learn some thing new, although I can't see why one would use it that way.
Frankly, neither can I. Once "accepted" it is simply available in the background quietly doing its thing. It's so throughly transparent that quite a few months might pass before I even give it a thought... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator