I just wanted a quick advice to a good video card I could replace it with (I want to stick with nVidia).My system is : AMD 3500+ with 1gig Ram with WinXp and I'm running FS9. Can I expect a big improvement in fps with, let's say, a 9800GT?Which card would you recommend? Budget is around 120

I just wanted a quick advice to a good video card I could replace it with (I want to stick with nVidia).My system is : AMD 3500+ with 1gig Ram with WinXp and I'm running FS9. Can I expect a big improvement in fps with, let's say, a 9800GT?Which card would you recommend? Budget is around 120

I just wanted a quick advice to a good video card I could replace it with (I want to stick with nVidia).My system is : AMD 3500+ with 1gig Ram with WinXp and I'm running FS9. Can I expect a big improvement in fps with, let's say, a 9800GT?
As always, FSX and FS9 are very much CPU dependent vs. graphics card dependent. Since you're coming from a 6800 (an awesome MSFS card in its day), you might see some modest FPS improvements moving to a newer card, but you probably won't see much of a difference across the gamut of the current selections. (Your other hardware will quickly become the bottleneck in your system no matter what newer video card you drop in).My recommendation? All other things remaining equal, a FANTASTIC card on a budget will be from the 8800 series. Some consider them still to be the best video cards for MSFS. This option might save you some money which you can apply to a larger system upgrade down the road. I think you'll be quite happy with such a purchase. It'll be better than the 6800, and not break the bank. A 9800 will potentially perform better in other games, but if MSFS is your primary entertainment, it actually works its way into being overkill. The differences between an 88- and 98- on your computer are likely to be quite small. Anything faster than those will end up being a wasteful purchase - your CPU will most certainly not be able to keep up with the graphics card, and it's power will remain untapped. Good luck!-Greg

Thanks Greg and Alex ! I will look for a 8800 series then (Im not playing anything else than FS). Im sad about my 6800, it was doing a great job, getting 30fps most of the time :(Cheers,kev