Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

FS2004 ATC

Guest nitram

Flight unlimited which is several years old not only had AI it had a 'Declare an Emergency' option.Not only did it work it gave you vectors to the nearest Airport.I do not see this as a Major Programming issue as previously stated.If 2004 allows VFR and IFR flight planner changes mid-flight, I do not think that this option is any more difficult to obtain.If you change to IFR then surely AI must change slightly? I would like FS2004 for the improved ATC, but I am dissapointed that they have not done this improvement yet. If you want to declare an emergency just after take off, the only way would be to change your flight plan and return to the nearest airport. (If you own the RFP 747-200 you can dump fuel etc) Hopefully FS2004 are listening and will issue a 'patch'?Highly unlikely though, I am still waiting for the FS2002 one!!!!!!Regards Nitram

Guest Stamatis

I'm not a RW pilot but my understanding is that here in the US, full approaches (as depicted in the approach plate)are rarely flown because radar coverage is 90 percent or better and, therefore, ATC provides vectors to final in almost all circumstances where an instrument approach is flown. Is that correct?That is correct, not only for the US but for Europe (at least) as well. Pilots very rarely get to fly the full approach "as published". So much so, that you can sometimes listen to crews specifically requesting a permission to fly an approach as published for training purposes.Stamatis

You are probably right-implementing this one "emergency" response would probably not be that hard.However, in the 12 or so emergencies I have experienced in my 13 years of real flying-never have I required vectors to a nearby airport. I sure required lots of other stuff though! :-)I think my point was ms put a priority on getting the stuff you do 99% of the time closer. Unlike me, most pilots I know have never had an emergency(call me unlucky to have had so many, or lucky to still be here -lol)-but they do practice approaches of all kinds weekly.In any case, I am sure Radar Contact will fill the holes that are presently left out.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/Geofdog2.jpg