Sign in to follow this  
flyerkg

PIPER SEMINOLE RELEASED

I just discovered this new release for FSX at Flightsim.com pilot shop. I cannot gauge the quality by the available screen shots or description, but I might check this one out for $25 USD if I can get more info. So far not many GA planes have let me down and I have been waiting for a . The product comes from WSSimulation.

Keith Guillory

The screens don't look too bad! I've been waiting for a good Seminole for a while... $25 is a bit steep though. I'd be interested in hearing from someone who's made the purchase!

The screens don't look too bad! I've been waiting for a good Seminole for a while... $25 is a bit steep though. I'd be interested in hearing from someone who's made the purchase!
I can relate to the waiting. I might as well grab it. I would probably be more satisfied with this or a new helicopter instead rather than with the next available heavy jet. This is closer to my real-life experience anyway. There were a couple of freeware Seminoles on the various flightsim websites a few years back but never a complete package. The website states that there is a dedicated sound package. This is a plus for me. I typically never rush to the newest release, but my wait for this one was never the result of seeing previews or reading forums. It just popped out and I am happy when developers release their products in this fashion.

Keith Guillory

Guest Astradan

I have their DA-20, bought from Simmarket. The bizarre thing was that the first release (v1) was pretty awful in terms of texture quality, etc, then they released v1.2 or v.20 or whatever and it was transformed! ..... better VC than the fantastic old Aerosoft DA-20 and FAR better frame rates. I fly it a lot, it's a great, dependable light GA aircraft, with a nice VC, and excellent frames.I will almost certainly buy their Seminole - hope it's like the second version of their DA20 though, and not the first!

I don't know, the exterior modeling of the nose doesn't seem quite right--looks too blunt towards the fore point of the nose, almost like there weren't enough polys used to capture the curve there. Small detail but most add-on providers in this price range do a pretty decent job with their external modeling. I'd have to see a side on profile view since screenshots can themselves simply turn out poorly. I've snatched up most of the recent GA releases, so if some better screenshots show up in the user forums I might well give this one a closer look.Regards,John

I have their DA-20, bought from Simmarket. The bizarre thing was that the first release (v1) was pretty awful in terms of texture quality, etc, then they released v1.2 or v.20 or whatever and it was transformed! ..... better VC than the fantastic old Aerosoft DA-20 and FAR better frame rates. I fly it a lot, it's a great, dependable light GA aircraft, with a nice VC, and excellent frames.I will almost certainly buy their Seminole - hope it's like the second version of their DA20 though, and not the first!
Let us know how it goes! To JohnCi, I noticed the nose issue as well... For $25 you'd expect a little better, but not a really big deal. The VC looks solid though; I got my multi in an '06 Seminole with Avidyne glass panel last winter and this lacks the glass but at least it has modern styling. Carenado's products are superb but by looking at their panels you'd think they stopped making GA aircraft in the 80s...

Actually, now that I take a closer look the radio stack all looks 2D...
This is VC model only. The only pop-up 2D window is for the radios.The radios are blurry and hard to read in cockpit view: Right seat and cockpit view: Radio stack.My favorite animation comes with opening the cockpit door. The front passenger seat slides forward and tilts to allow your virtual passengers to climb in the back. The aircraft flight is smooth and balanced with my current settings. The engine sounds have an audible looping in when sitting at idle and spot view is directly in front of the nose. At night the primary instruments are adequately illuminated but you must rely on the pop-up radio stack to manage your comms and navs. The flip-side of the gauge illumination is that there is no visible cockpit illumination from outside in spot view. I can live with this and be happy that I am no longer waiting for a Piper Seminole.

Keith Guillory

This is VC model only.
Just FYI:If you use the A key to cycle through the VC views the last one looks like the normal 2D, "no guages" view. I then made the mistake of hitting the W key as if cycling through the 2D views in other aircraft. Mouse cursor went on the fritz with the arrow and the circular do-hickey (Loading indicator?) both blinking on and off very quickly and FPS fluctuating wildly. Returning to VC pit doesn't help, mouse cursor stuck in some kind of loop. I have to exit the flight and load it fresh. That's my experience. Stay in VC leave the W key alone and no problem - 11 years into MSFS and muscle memory lets me change views without thinking, guess I'll have to start thinking, that's gonna be tough at this stage. I'm on Vista64, 9650 Quad Core, and using Logitech trackball mouse. I note that the PA-44 manual states it requires XP SP2 and FSX. No mention of Vista or FSX SP's or Acceleration. Flys nice, looks okay inside and out. I'm a sucker for twin engine aircraft, tough for me to resist.

Frank L.T

Just FYI:If you use the A key to cycle through the VC views the last one looks like the normal 2D, "no guages" view. I then made the mistake of hitting the W key as if cycling through the 2D views in other aircraft. Mouse cursor went on the fritz with the arrow and the circular do-hickey (Loading indicator?) both blinking on and off very quickly and FPS fluctuating wildly. Returning to VC pit doesn't help, mouse cursor stuck in some kind of loop. I have to exit the flight and load it fresh. That's my experience. Stay in VC leave the W key alone and no problem - 11 years into MSFS and muscle memory lets me change views without thinking, guess I'll have to start thinking, that's gonna be tough at this stage. I'm on Vista64, 9650 Quad Core, and using Logitech trackball mouse. I note that the PA-44 manual states it requires XP SP2 and FSX. No mention of Vista or FSX SP's or Acceleration. Flys nice, looks okay inside and out. I'm a sucker for twin engine aircraft, tough for me to resist.
Thank you for the note on this issue. I can relate to the habit thing as well. I periodically go back to FS9 for a couple of payware planes and helicopters that don't quite transfer well to FSX and I find myself hitting key selections that are not mapped to FS9. I particularly like having the Seminole. The ATP Flight School nearby has a few of them in their white, blue/red stripe colors.

Keith Guillory