Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Nicholson KMFR

FS2004 Airport Beacons visible in distance

As has been a repeated topic on this forum with previous versions of FS, Microsoft has listened to us and now provides an airport beacon you can see from far away (distance dependent on atmospheric conditions).Once you reach the airport, the beacon takes on a "searchlight beam" effect that rotates with the white and green lighting, similar to a lighthouse. It's a cool effect!For those wondering, the lighting is more of a pinpoint pixel from a distance and changes to the beam effect when you are in the vicinity of the tower. Overall, the ground lighting in FS2004 is much clearer and sharper than it was in FS2002.So for those flying VFR at dusk, dawn, or nighttime, you can now look for the flashing beacon to locate the airport. :-hah

Good news. Thanks for sharing that. That question has been in the back of my thoughts for some time now.Regards,

Finally!!!! I had asked Chris to make a video and he did but he didnt include what it looks like from far away nor was there anything said about it. Thanks so much for making this post. It was one of my top 10 things that MS could do to improve FS. One of my others from the list was something they did in 2000 but didnt in 2002 and was wondering if they added it to 2004 which is the static when at the fringes of receiving a transmittion like how ATIS did in 2000. Did they bring that back?KilstormP.S. do you see the beacon before you see the VASI and field lights frist or is does it come with or after other lights give away the field andhow high up can you see the beacon? I was on a Southwest flight on a clear night looking outside and could make out fields only by the beacon all the way up in the FL's. I could even make out military by the double green which brings to mind are military fields in 2004 have the double green?

Hey there Bruce....Saw the KMFR after your name--you know I've made it the default for FS2004? I like it because it was a good place to gauge average performance, and that it was an hour's flight or so from two of the major scenery areas in FS2004--Seattle and SFO. My recent shots posted on the day the NDA was eased were right around KMFR.... -John

Guest paulri

>I could>even make out military by the double green which brings to>mind are military fields in 2004 have the double green?When did this change? Acording to my copy of DOD FLIP General Planning (about a year old), and what existed when I was flying, the split (double) beam is/was white. Sure hope FS2004 has it right. Paul

Guest Lizardo

(it is white)

Guest Eric

Hello, The information from the Original post came from a TRUE beta tester or Illegal copy ?BestEric

Kilstorm,I did a Lear flight last night at FL350 and I could see blinking green and white dots as far out as 60 to 80 miles. It's much easier to spot them in the dark rural areas, but you can also see them in the urban areas if you look closely.I'm runnin 1024x768 and from 60+ miles, it's just a single pixel that blinks. But as you get closer, the light size changes and before you can see the VASI, the light is very obvious. It's really an effective VFR tool now. I'm quite pleased with the implementation.Also, on approach last night to SFO, the bay was lit with moonlight and the runway/approach lighting was very sharp and clear, not fuzzy like FS2002. I'm also impressed with the taxiway lights. No more raising your seat level to see the taxiway lights. :-)Another major improvement is the taxi lights on the aircraft. They don't flood out the scenery like they did with FS2002. I can now taxi with lights on and still see where I'm going.Bruce

Oh Kyle,nice collection you do have there. :-eekPretty damn awesome, keep it up. :-hahThanks,Etienne :-wave

Ah man it sounds like they finally nailed it!!! God this sim is just sounding better and better. Sorry about the double green meaning double white I was in a hurry when I wrote it but can anyone fly over a military field and say for sure if the beacon flashes military or civialian?Kil~

Guest Eric

Mr Bruce, "I did a Lear flight last night at FL350 " only last night?Before opening your mouth, Please answer this question:You are Official Beta Tester Yes or No?Did you know How I feel about people downloading Illegal stuff and trow information at avsim which is not allowed at all ?BestEric

Guest Fortress

Thanks Bruce. Not something that immediately sprung to my mind, but good to know all the same!Cheers,Paulhttp://www.strontiumdog.plus.com/sbird.jpgOfficially licenced by British Airways plc for use of name and logo[p]AMD 2800+ Barton, Gigabyte GA-7NNXP nForce2, 1Gig PC3200 Dual Channel DDR 400MHz, Gainward 128 MB GF4-4200, SB Audigy[/p]

Guest Dan CYKA

GREAT DAY IN THE MORNING!!!Its about time they had the tower becon. Now we can find our way home. Great shots ya have there.

Eric,Am I an "official" beta tester? NODo I have an illegal copy of the software? NOFS2004 was running live last night on a laptop belonging to one of the guests staying overnight at my house on their way to Portland for the holiday weekend. I was told it was a Gold version installation (the splash screen didn't say beta or have any special notations and the cd drive was running on start up).I was told the NDA was lifted for testers so I assumed that information was allowed on this forum. If you have an issue with outside people getting a sneak peak at the Gold version and posting on AvSim, then I suggest you have a notice posted on the forum stating that restriction. Also, have the forum admin delete this post.I was pretty excited at the improvements I saw and thought people would love to hear about the beacons. The responses were positive until I read yours.If you think the owner of that laptop has an illegal copy, you should put up a road block on northbound I-5 since my house guests left this morning. Check out all dark green Jettas with California plates. :+ Sorry about the sarcasm, but you were pretty rude with your questioning and implication. :-roll Bruce