Sign in to follow this  
raymar

747 200/300 series vs 747-400x Queen of the Skies

I am considering purchasing a very large plane and see that both of these are selling in boxed sets for the same price - $29.99. Either sounds like a bargin, but, is there simmers out there that have them both or first hand knowledge of both? I keep reading that you can't go wrong with an Aerosoft PMDG product, and I also read a few good things about Just Flight. Any suggestions? Thanks.

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

I am considering purchasing a very large plane and see that both of these are selling in boxed sets for the same price - $29.99. Either sounds like a bargin, but, is there simmers out there that have them both or first hand knowledge of both? I keep reading that you can't go wrong with an Aerosoft PMDG product, and I also read a few good things about Just Flight. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Hi I don't own the pmdg 747 but I do know that's its a heavy systems jetliner and of course its the newer 747-400, the justflight 747 is a light systems jetliner and from the older 747. so it depends on what level of complexity you want or if you just want the old school genration 747 or newer 747.http://www.avsim.com/pages/0209/JustFlight/747.htmhttp://www.avsim.com/pages/0108/747Heathrow/747Heathrow.htm

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

Guest Astradan

Ah mate, there is just NO comparison between the CLS / Just Flight 747-200 'lite' and the PMDG 747-400X.The PMDG is a work of art, in graphics and functions, and the CLS is basically a 'default' 747 classic for FSX.If you like the 'lite' types off addons (toys), then you may like the CLS, but if you want a real simulation that rewards learning and offers stunning immersion and realisticness, it is 100% the PMDG.Sorry, I know I am a snob in this regard; I hate 'lite' add-ons, they just 'lowest common denominator' and dilute the hobby for me.

Is the CLS offering even a native FSX addon?Get the PMDG 747X. You won't be disappointed.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

I have spent the entire morning reading about the PMDG 747x. How is the world can something as Sophisticated as this sell on the open market for under $30? I have downloaded the tutorials and manual and will start reading. I may be able to get it started by Christmas. You Tube is full of videos of this one also. This is a stocking stuffer for sure (even if I have to buy it myself)

Guest 413X3

When it first came out it was selling for I believe $60. PMDG has already released 2 other software addons so no surprise the 747X is at a discount. My favorite airplane of all time. They did such a great job with it

When it first came out it was selling for I believe $60.
Actually, it was selling at $80 until about 3 weeks ago, when a few retail outlets started selling it for $30. Apparently, $30 is a promotional price and will go up (I guess to $55, which is the price on the PMDG website). At $30 I think the PMDG is a steal...

You talked me into moving quickly. I just ordered it online from BB. Total of $32.10 including tax and I can pick it up at the local store in an hour.

Post deleted - you've already bought it. Good for you. And what a great price. :( Ian

Well, I am overwhelmed. I picked up the 747 Queen of the Skies at my local Best Buy about mid afternoon today. I loaded it up in fsx and called up one of the 20 or so choices. Cold and Dark and no instructions like 1, 2, 3. One 4 x 6 inch printed advertisment the MD-11 on one side and the Jetstream 4100 on the other is the total print job that comes with the dvd. The one pdf manual is a combo of Pilot Ops and FMC - 392 pages, wow!. I downloaded four type rating lessons at the PMDG site along with some FAQ. I glanced thru the manual and I see there is no tutorial to be found. Any sugguestions on how to get started with this baby. I have plenty of time and a keen interest. I also downloaded some new scenery for Heathrow that became available just today at Avsim. EFLL is as good a home base as any. I am in Biloxi, MS.

Well, I am overwhelmed. I picked up the 747 Queen of the Skies at my local Best Buy about mid afternoon today. I loaded it up in fsx and called up one of the 20 or so choices. Cold and Dark and no instructions like 1, 2, 3. One 4 x 6 inch printed advertisment the MD-11 on one side and the Jetstream 4100 on the other is the total print job that comes with the dvd. The one pdf manual is a combo of Pilot Ops and FMC - 392 pages, wow!. I downloaded four type rating lessons at the PMDG site along with some FAQ. I glanced thru the manual and I see there is no tutorial to be found. Any sugguestions on how to get started with this baby. I have plenty of time and a keen interest. I also downloaded some new scenery for Heathrow that became available just today at Avsim. EFLL is as good a home base as any. I am in Biloxi, MS.
If you're willing to spend the money, Angle of Attack do a great DVD set that takes you through the aircraft in detail in an easy to understand manner.Otherwise reading the manual on the FMC, which is a significant factor in understanding the aircraft, would be my recommendation on a place to start.

Guest 413X3

follow the tutorial line by line. it helps you learn how to operate the aircraft in normal procedures. Then you start to pickup how to program the FMC and you are off!

You talked me into moving quickly. I just ordered it online from BB. Total of $32.10 including tax and I can pick it up at the local store in an hour.
What a fantastic deal! I purchased it for $80 about a year ago and have never for a moment regretted spending a penny of the purchase price. This is a plane that exceeded my expectations. :( There is so much to learn so take your time and have fun with it. I was too excited to read the manuals at first, so I installed the Reality XP GNS 530 just so I could hand-fly it and know where I was. :(Here's a "Boeing 747-400 Standard Procedure's Guide" from smithplanet.com that I ran thru once. It was written for FS9 but worked ok for FSX (pushback must have bumped me into a terminal as from that point on my 747 trailed black smoke :( ). I think you'll find it worth checking out.A pic of me recently (2 days ago?) teasing one of my AVSIM RTWR Teammates... :( Popupinthe747.jpg

Guest SkullxBones

Here is a series of 9 videos on youtube that I would recommend to help you learn to create a flight plan and program it into the FMC along with lots other valuable info. They are made for the FS9 PMDG 737 but most of it can used with your 747.

The UK magazine PC Pilot has had a long-running series of tutorials based around the PMDG 747. I think they MAY be releasing a compilation. It might be worth getting in touch to see. Quite a few back issues are also still available. http://www.pcpilot.net/RegardsIan