Sign in to follow this  
Timothy_Denner

File Unavailable

For some reason every single file that I try to download from the library says "File Unavailable". I can search for the file I want but when I try to download the file I get that. Is there any way someone can tell me what I am supposed to do?

For some reason every single file that I try to download from the library says "File Unavailable". I can search for the file I want but when I try to download the file I get that. Is there any way someone can tell me what I am supposed to do?
Note the author's name and look for it elsewhere - Flightsim.com has most of what is (or was) in the Avsim library. The same file at Flightsim may have a slightly different name (shorter) so search by author.Many authors are reviewing the listings to see what did not survive the massive hack on Avsim back in May and are re-uploading their work to Avsim as time permits.Most of the files were recovered but some were not recoverable so it will take some time before the occurance of the "file not found" message is significantly reduced.Hope that helps.

Opa,This is the thing though, if the file was not in the library because it was lost it would not list the thing when I search for it. It list all of them its just when I push the "Download" button I get the "File Unavailable" page.

Opa,This is the thing though, if the file was not in the library because it was lost it would not list the thing when I search for it. It list all of them its just when I push the "Download" button I get the "File Unavailable" page.
That would be incorrect, if it was lost it may not yet have been removed from the library.

Brian Sperduto

Haven't been visiting the library forum for a while, has there been any progress on trying to solve the missing images and placeholders for older file listings as well as the lost files that were previously showing prior to the NAS drive incident? Seem like all of my files listings are missing their images and a number are showing as corrupt or missing...Best regards,Philip.

Haven't been visiting the library forum for a while, has there been any progress on trying to solve the missing images and placeholders for older file listings as well as the lost files that were previously showing prior to the NAS drive incident? Seem like all of my files listings are missing their images and a number are showing as corrupt or missing...Best regards,Philip.
The best thing to do if any of your files are still reported as missing, is to re-upload them.Be sure to leave a Note for the Library Managers that "this file replaces download ID number XXXX and ask them to reset the DL count also. (the XXX's would be replaced by the DL ID number of course).The ID number can be determined by placing your mouse over the Download button - the number will show at the bottom left of your browser screen.Best bet is to do a search for your name and then attempt to start the DL process on each file - if it is "missing" write down the ID number and DL count so when you re-upload you will have the info available.It takes a little extra time but assures your file(s) will be available.

Hi David,No I know this, and before the NAS drive issue had started re-uploading which unfortunately didn't go well - even with the mention of the original File ID's it went wrong. But then when the library came back, all of my listings along with all other author's listings were suddenly missing and/or missing their images and placeholders. I doubt that I will re-upload the 70 plus file listings of mine - was hoping that the missing images could be rectified and that the previously "not missing" files could be restored...Edit: Also still noticing a lot of new releases with missing images and placeholders, what's up with that?Philip.

....Edit: Also still noticing a lot of new releases with missing images and placeholders, what's up with that?....
That's not good news, as I was considering re-uploading most of my files. But I'll hold off until that issue is resolved.Tommy

That's not good news, as I was considering re-uploading most of my files. But I'll hold off until that issue is resolved.Tommy
I have not seen what the other poster mentioned - everything I have re-uploaded as been handled properly by the Library Managers.When re-uploading it is very important to advise them what file is being replaced (the ID number) and ask them to reset the DL count.When re-uploading you add the images you want to display just as you would with a new upload - the images will not be carried over from the old listing.Hope to see your re-uploads soon.

I got some files 2 months ago on old system and trying to put them on the new one and says the same thing, strange you could get them 4-8 weeks ago and not now.

I got some files 2 months ago on old system and trying to put them on the new one and says the same thing, strange you could get them 4-8 weeks ago and not now.
Apparently you were able (as we all were) to get some files after the library first came back online after the May hack. Some of those files were files which had been re-uploaded by their authors.Unfortunately just a few weeks after that, the library went down again and the files which had been re-uploaded were lost also.All of that has apparently been resolved now and newly re-uploaded files are available.I was one of those who had re-uploaded a few files only to see them go bye-bye again so I bit the bullet and re-uploaded a second time and all is well now.In a perfect world none of this would have happened but we do not live in a perfect world so a little patience and understanding is necessary.

This is what the "other" poster is refering to - found these two in a few minutes. Sure, maybe isolated cases, but have seen many examples like this before and after the NAS drive issue. Also the screenshots not staying in original sequence - that I experienced when trying to re-upload prior to the NAS drive issue. And as I indicated before, gave all necessary information to make things as easy as possible. Then it was only 9 or 10 listings that I was planning to re-upload - now every one of my 70 plus are affected one way or the other. Presentation is important to me as I am sure the next guy.Click to enlarge:th_Sample01.png th_Sample02.pngI do appreciate all that the library managers have been and are doing, I just can't understand how things got so much worse after the NAS drive went offline as indicated...Philip.

The short of it is when the NAS was brought back online in May, it was done incorrectly. In the mean time, we brought uploads back online. During this time, we needed to reboot the connected server. When we did this, the NAS lost connection, and decided it was corrupted.We had to go back to our "known good" backup from just after May. That backup and the NAS itself are now stable with help from the hardware vendor. I apologize you are having such an issue, but the library team has been swamped.For all in involved, they have been instructed, and up loaders, to make copious notes when you upload: what was the original file name, what file name is replacing it, etc. Now the team is only human and we all make mistakes. The library manager needs to remove the orignal linkage and then upload the new. If they do this in reverse order then you have the problems you are seeing.ANY new upload is intact and will work as advertised. We now backup to TWO locations and all files are sync'ed nightly. I am not sure how else to "assure" you that we are back online. If you have further concerns please contact the Library MANAGER after the holidays. (I am not sure if he is working during turkey days or not.)The forums is a place to ask questions and I thank you for that, but for more specific "this file does not work" etc please email the managers or team at library@avsim.com

This is what the "other" poster is refering to - found these two in a few minutes. Sure, maybe isolated cases, but have seen many examples like this before and after the NAS drive issue. Also the screenshots not staying in original sequence - that I experienced when trying to re-upload prior to the NAS drive issue. And as I indicated before, gave all necessary information to make things as easy as possible. Then it was only 9 or 10 listings that I was planning to re-upload - now every one of my 70 plus are affected one way or the other. Presentation is important to me as I am sure the next guy.Click to enlarge:th_Sample01.png th_Sample02.pngI do appreciate all that the library managers have been and are doing, I just can't understand how things got so much worse after the NAS drive went offline as indicated...Philip.

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler