Sign in to follow this  
Guest BAW894

Parking Brake Sign

Guest wizard01

Hi,About 3 months ago I came across a Tip to remove this 'eyesore' from the bottom L/H side of my monitor; and replace it with just quite small letters 'PB' - ideal remedy. Anyway, today I was forced to un-install and re-install FS2002 Pro. Big problem on re-start, there was the old 'Parking Brake sign. Could anyone please let me know if they have any knowledge of the whereabout of the great PB Fix?It seems the very good feature at the head of this Forum; Tips and Tricks, has been 'pruned' somewhat :), so no chance of finding the PB Fix there. It's possible I'm the only one 'in step' and everyone else knows what's happened to it?I would very much appreciate any help on this problem.KenSomerset, England

Hi there,i don't know how to replace the original sign.The only thing i know is how to completely delete the sign. I have this in my sim and i think you will get used to it too?!Here it is:

Brought to you by RCS Panels****************************This is a second method to remove the "BRAKES" and "PARKING BRAKES" messages from your FS screen in FS2002, for those that want to.The first method sometimes caused FS lockups under certain circumstances.I do not claim originality with this idea. It was kindly suggested to me by a loyal follower. It has however been tested here and appears to work withou problems.Installation************Removing the "brakes" messages from the screen:First make a backup copy of your FS2002.cfg file, which can be found in your main FS2002 folder. Then using a text editor like Windows Notepad open the original of the FS2002.cfg fileScroll down until you reach a section called [sim]Add a third line " show_brake_message=0 " so the section now reads :-(SIM)SYSCLOCK=1show_brake_message=0 Now save the file.Enjoy.RoyRCS Panelshttp://www.roychaffin.com/rcs-panels.htmlroy@roychaffin.com
Cheers Carsten

Guest wizard01

Hello Loeffel,Thanks, that worked fine; I could get used to in time :). I appreciate your help.I also followed up the Post from Douglas K - the file name is actually 'breakoff.zip' - it was on the site Douglas mentioned; so I now have the small PB in the bottom left hand corner again.Douglas, thank you for the information, much appreciated.This is a great Forum, there is always someone ready to help another; even an obscure question like mine :) .KenSomerset, England"Anything is Possible"

Guest Douglas K

>It seems the very good feature at the head of this Forum; Tips and Tricks, has been 'pruned' somewhat, so no chance of finding the PB Fix there. It's possible I'm the only one 'in step' and everyone else knows what's happened to it?

Guest Douglas K

Well sometimes the only way to get something done is to do it yourself. So I opened FS 2002's english.fll file with ResHacker and searched for "Parking Brakes".It turned up in Stringtable #2337 and I was able to change the "Parking Brakes - Press Period (.) to release" message to "PB", and the "Brakes" message to "B".I also shortened the "Simulation Paused - Press P to continue" to just "Paused".It took 2 minutes at the most. Sometimes it takes that long to log on at Fightsim.com, and by the time you've searched the the library for a file and tried every different combination of spelling imaginable you will have invested a lot more time than the 2 minutes of text editing it took to put that "PB" on the screen!

Guest BAW894

Nice post, I've been trying to do the very same thing for ages with no luck, then "hay presto", I'm hacking the internal files :)Some intresting text string in that .fll, gives one some idea of what MS were hoping to do I guess.Thanks for a great tip and as you said its so simple.