Sign in to follow this  
realpilotsimpilot

Possible new RC4 purchase

Question to the forum: I'm a pretty heavy user of the PMDG products and have, as a result, grown incredily tired of the lame default FSX ATC. So, I'm toying with adding RC 4. I'm not sure its for me. One of the things I usually do: which is set up a long flight climb to cruise and then walk away until the TOD, and then resume. This seems to possible using "Otto" which is great, but here are some other things I'm looking for as well (and some general questions).1. Approaches/descent speed restrictions. Are they issued? If I had a dollar for everytime the bad FSX issued a go around because of a race for the threshold with another aircraft, I would be very rich.2. SID/STARs. They appear to be supported, but I've heard some squawks about how they are implemented. Comments?3. Voicing. The default voice sounds iffy, but from what I've read there are add-ons/mods that are more human sounding. Comments?4. Better/more realistic runway use. Many FS airports use, quite frankly, the wrong runway 90% of the time. Does RC improve on this?5. FPS Hit? Thanks in advance for any thoughts the community has here.My system: Core i7 920 (stock speed), 6GB Ram, GTX 260 video board, running FSX, Windows 7 Professional, mainly the PMDG add-on aircraft. No other FSX add-ons except the aircraft, although I'm toying with a traffic add-on too (my traffic, ultimate traffic, etc.)Thanks in advance for any com

Question to the forum: I'm a pretty heavy user of the PMDG products and have, as a result, grown incredily tired of the lame default FSX ATC. So, I'm toying with adding RC 4. I'm not sure its for me. One of the things I usually do: which is set up a long flight climb to cruise and then walk away until the TOD, and then resume. This seems to possible using "Otto" which is great, but here are some other things I'm looking for as well (and some general questions).1. Approaches/descent speed restrictions. Are they issued? If I had a dollar for everytime the bad FSX issued a go around because of a race for the threshold with another aircraft, I would be very rich.2. SID/STARs. They appear to be supported, but I've heard some squawks about how they are implemented. Comments?3. Voicing. The default voice sounds iffy, but from what I've read there are add-ons/mods that are more human sounding. Comments?4. Better/more realistic runway use. Many FS airports use, quite frankly, the wrong runway 90% of the time. Does RC improve on this?5. FPS Hit? Thanks in advance for any thoughts the community has here.My system: Core i7 920 (stock speed), 6GB Ram, GTX 260 video board, running FSX, Windows 7 Professional, mainly the PMDG add-on aircraft. No other FSX add-ons except the aircraft, although I'm toying with a traffic add-on too (my traffic, ultimate traffic, etc.)Thanks in advance for any com
1) no, you will be slowed to various speeds on downwind and base. but your real question here, is yes, rc moves slower ai in front of you away, and slows down faster ai behind you. only on final. use something like ai smooth for other phases of approach.2) download and read those sections of the manual. www.jdtllc.com/v4/rcv43.pdf. they are handled as realistically as they can be. they won't be called by name. but you can do sids and stars. stars end when you contact approach. if you want to fly a specific approach to a runway, you can ask for an IAP approach when you contact approach.4) rc will use the runways the ai are using, so that you aren't going head to head with them all the time. if the ai are doing it wrong, i think that is an afcad issue that can be fixed.5) imperceivable.jd

Truthfully, I have to say that the wav. files are a little "quirky" and perhaps not of the very highest quality. Having said that, once you try RC and get past the learning curve of actually having to act like a real word pilot (as far as possible in a sim situation) you will wonder how you got along without RC. I have to agree with John re the FPS hit.

Truthfully, I have to say that the wav. files are a little "quirky" and perhaps not of the very highest quality. Having said that, once you try RC and get past the learning curve of actually having to act like a real word pilot (as far as possible in a sim situation) you will wonder how you got along without RC. I have to agree with John re the FPS hit.
Hi Doug,You can get some other wav.files from avsim once you get RC and thses provide better voices for you.I would not be without RC.Norman Bowman

Quoted from Norman above: "You can get some other wav.files from avsim once you get RC and thses provide better voices for you."Would you elaborate a little about the add-on wav files?

Quoted from Norman above: "You can get some other wav.files from avsim once you get RC and thses provide better voices for you."Would you elaborate a little about the add-on wav files?
Hi These files consist of remastered original files which speed up the delivery of the instructions and also have radio static noises introduced making them sound just like Live Atc voices which you can hear when you listen in..The original voice sets are not computer generated voices but are recordings made by real people .Regrds Norman Bowman

Search in the avsim library for "meatwater radar contact version 2". You have to download all the ten files. Before installing read the readme-file carefully! Good luck!