Sign in to follow this  
Shaney

Not enough avaliable memory

Hello people,Ive got yet another problem with FSX. My system information is as follows:Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 - 2.93ghzWindows 7 32bitRam 2gbNvidia Gforce 8600 GTI have Mega Airport Heathrow and traffic on 50%. I was flying the Airbus A340 500/600 aircraft into heathrow. On landing my planes livery went black and the dials inside the cockpit stopped moving for example, the clock and engine information N1.It then crashed and gave the message 'Not enough avaliable memory try reducing your graphics, weather, traffic settings and restart FSX'Does this message mean exactly what it says? That i need more RAM to be able to run all my expansion packs and traffic at this setting?Any help is greatly appreciated,Cheers Shane

Guest jshyluk

2 GB memory should be fine if you were running Win XP - that can only handle 2GB anyway, basically.From what I know, Win7 needs at least 1GB reserved for Win7 at all times (even in XP Compatibility Mode), meaning you only have 1 GB free for FSX, which won't be enough. I believe you can get by with 3 GB, but the more the merrier. If memory serves, you can run FSX with up to 6 GB in Win7. I am just going by what I have heard, though, so if anybody has concrete info to add, by all means please do so. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff ReviewerAVSIM

i DO think it means what it reads. 2GB is like the minimum RAM required to make windows 7 usable(Altho MS says 1GB, but seriously you cannot use the OS with just 1GB memory). So if you want to run a game on the minimum line, most likely you won't have enough memory. I have 3GB of RAM myself, and i'm under XP, when i run FSX with addon aircrafts like PMDG etc, i use about 2.6GB of RAM out of 3G(My OS takes around 700MB). With scenery airports etc, it stay right below the maximum load,which is around 2.88GB, once it go over 2.88G, FSX will crash and say i runout of memory. and XP after sp3, and FSX after SP2, i do believe FSX can now use over 2GB of memory in XP...(not really sure, but at least i think so)I'd say upgrade to at least 4GB of memory if you want to use vista or windows 7 to play FSX. Upgrade to 6 or 8 if you want good performance(which means upgrade to 64bit OS as well). 3GB MIGHT work, but if you have too many background processes going, i don't think it's enough. And this is exactly the reason why i'm still using XP when everyone around me is using windows 7. And i'm not planning on switching OS until i can get 8GB of RAM in my system(Not to mention FSX run much better under XP, i get around 15fps increase running FSX under XP compared to vista). I have tried windows vista, and it use 1.65GB of my RAM just for running all the processes...windows 7 might cut it down a bit, but it's not a big difference.

Intel Core i7 3770K @4.2Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333 RAM(2x4G G.Skill, 2x2G Corsair), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo, MSI GTX 560 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5, Evga SuperNOVA Nex750B 750W, 2.12TB HDD(1x 120GB Samsung 840 SSD, 2x 1TB WD Black Caviar 7200RPM), ASUS VE228H LED 21.5”, Logitech Attack 3, Windows 8 Pro x64

Hello people,Ive got yet another problem with FSX. My system information is as follows:Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 - 2.93ghzWindows 7 32bitRam 2gbNvidia Gforce 8600 GTI have Mega Airport Heathrow and traffic on 50%. I was flying the Airbus A340 500/600 aircraft into heathrow. On landing my planes livery went black and the dials inside the cockpit stopped moving for example, the clock and engine information N1.It then crashed and gave the message 'Not enough avaliable memory try reducing your graphics, weather, traffic settings and restart FSX'Does this message mean exactly what it says? That i need more RAM to be able to run all my expansion packs and traffic at this setting?Any help is greatly appreciated,Cheers Shane
Double your system memory.

I would double your memory to start with but there is an issue with an out of memory error even if you have 4gb. I purchased Tongass Fjords, have 4gb and was receiving this error even though my total memory usage was a little over 2gb. I don't have the link but if you do a Google search you will find a tweak that will fix this. It is a command line that you run. I did it and have not had the error since.

Thanks people,I was thinking about getting faster memory anyway as i hear it makes the game run better, is that correct? So when i upgrade to faster memory ill get more at the same time.Shane

The OOM error is not necessarily solved by adding more RAM as, to a degree, RAM is not the issue. Rather than type out the lengthy explanation, I'll just refer you to this link: http://www.simtips.com/out-of-memory-error-explained/ .Rich
I went through this same thing adding more RAM did nothing to resolve it. I added the 3GB switch and it worked okay but large airports like Aerosoft's Heathrow would still trip an OOM now and then. Finally for me moving to Vista 64 and now Windows7 64-bit cured it for good.

Thanks people,I was thinking about getting faster memory anyway as i hear it makes the game run better, is that correct? So when i upgrade to faster memory ill get more at the same time.Shane
Shane, yes you definitely need more memory. 64 bit OS plus 4gb of memory will eliminate the OOM I'm all but certain. Lightening fast memory will make some difference, but it will be primarily in the rate of texture updating, won't do much for raw frame rate, and may help smoothness to the extent the entire system is tuned to well between its various processing areas and interfaces. There is more to it than just looking at memory itself. Some ram modules can tolerate tighter timings, etc. Here's a good basic test you can start with: run Lavalys' Everest Ultimate Edition software. You can use it as shareware. From the Tools menu, run the Cache and Memory Benchmark. Using Everest, here is my machine, running at two different BIOS profiles (memory, FSB, CPU clock rate).The first pic is at 3.0Ghz/1333Mhz memory speed/333Mhz FSB/9-9-9-2T memory timings. Compare against the next pic below, for latency and read speed. This is the same system, but the 2nd one is overclocked for CPU to 4.3Ghz/1637Mhz memory frequency/FSB 409Hmz/7-6-6-1T memory timings.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X