Sign in to follow this  
ccaughie

New Cascade Game Foundry interview

I found the following comment from the interview very relevant:"For example, Flight Simulator pleased its hardcore fanbase with its detailed renditions of the nuances and details of flying. "That's all still valid," says Selby. "But what's missing is... if you start thinking about what you could do around those single-player experiences that do simulate some aspect of a life or a location, suddenly you start to see a lot more opportunities." Flood says that traditional sims have been somewhat "intimidating" to those outside of the genre's fans, and Selby says that simplicity is definitely now a design goal for the team. "We want stuff to be simple enough that my mom can use it," he says " (My emphasis)That doean't bode well for an improved FSX.

"We want stuff to be simple enough that my mom can use it," he says " [/i](My emphasis)That doean't bode well for an improved FSX.
Only if you take that sentence out of context. Allow me to insert the whole paragraph:"We want stuff to be simple enough that my mom can use it," he says -- and yet it's important to offer the opportunity for a player to grow into the high level of detail traditional sim fans have always desired. "We still want to give the ability to grow into that level of caring, but not eclipse any gameplay opportunities that may exist downstream from there... those complexities can't be a barrier to [other players] enjoying the experience."If you read the whole thing it suddenly doesn't look so bad. They then go on to talk about "sliders on reality". What I'm reading into this is that they plan to develop sims that are as complex as you like if you want all the detail, but easily accessible to novices who don't. I don't see anything sinister there.Colin

Yea, sounds like they can possibly make the 'realism' slider more relevant, if anything. We'll have to wait and see.

Guest GMM
I found the following comment from the interview very relevant:"But what's missing is... if you start thinking about what you could do around those single-player experiences that do simulate some aspect of a life or a location, suddenly you start to see a lot more opportunities."
I think what they are saying here, is adding some point to single player flying, that could be company management, or PAX

Personally, I don't think they're really even focusing on flight simulations out there at Cascade. They have been veeery nebulous as to exactly what kind of simulations they are working on, and the two former ACES members who are in on the deal have backgrounds primarily in car simulation and train simulation. If they were to do a flight sim, I'd imagine the thoughts above would be close to being on target. Expanding the missions capability, adding some more "arcade" style controls to flight (*NOT at the expense of realism)... but something tells me that they won't be doing an actual flight simulation up front. Although the initial announcement seemed promising, it was promising based purely on speculation. I keep getting this nagging feeling that CGF isn't going to be doing any flight sim development for a bit... if at all. (I'll love to be proven wrong in a year or two though!) -Greg

I keep getting this nagging feeling that CGF isn't going to be doing any flight sim development for a bit... if at all.
+1

Matthew S