Sign in to follow this  
GSalden

ATI HD5870 and multi monitors

Hi all,Has anyone tried this card with 3 or more monitors with FSX?At the moment I have a XFX260 Black Edition ( factory overclocked ) icw a Matrox DualHead2Go that drives two 26" monitors.I wanted to buy another 26" monitor with a TripleHead2Go.Then I read about the ATI card which seames to be capable to run 3 or even 6 monitors. The costs I would make for both choices are about the same.As a friend of mine has the same hardware setup as me only he uses XP icw 2 Matrox DualHead2Go boxes and 4 outside view monitors.So a very wide view for flightsimming.One thing that I did not like much is that with each monitor you add the far distance gets closer, like when zooming in. On my setup with just 2 monitors I already zommed out till 0.30.I do not like the end of the runway almost right in front of me.It seems that Nick has tested with several HD5870 cards , so I am curious what he thinks about this possibility.And what is also important : is there some kind of bezel management, like you have with the digital Matrxo boxes.Is it possible to start with just 2 monitors and form time to time one can add an extra monitor till perhaps 5 ?Or is it 2, 3 and 6 ?

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

Hi all,Has anyone tried this card with 3 or more monitors with FSX?At the moment I have a XFX260 Black Edition ( factory overclocked ) icw a Matrox DualHead2Go that drives two 26" monitors.I wanted to buy another 26" monitor with a TripleHead2Go.Then I read about the ATI card which seames to be capable to run 3 or even 6 monitors. The costs I would make for both choices are about the same.As a friend of mine has the same hardware setup as me only he uses XP icw 2 Matrox DualHead2Go boxes and 4 outside view monitors.So a very wide view for flightsimming.One thing that I did not like much is that with each monitor you add the far distance gets closer, like when zooming in. On my setup with just 2 monitors I already zommed out till 0.30.I do not like the end of the runway almost right in front of me.It seems that Nick has tested with several HD5870 cards , so I am curious what he thinks about this possibility.And what is also important : is there some kind of bezel management, like you have with the digital Matrxo boxes.Is it possible to start with just 2 monitors and form time to time one can add an extra monitor till perhaps 5 ?Or is it 2, 3 and 6 ?
I'm also impressed with the potential of this card- but remember: each pixel displayed requires CPU horsepower!Alex Reid

One of the first things I would like to know is how the framerates are compared to a TripleHead2Go.Within 2 weeks the card will be available again and then I will buy one to test.In the setup of a friend of mine, who currently uses a TripleHead2Go I can test it.Then we will know it.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

One of the first things I would like to know is how the framerates are compared to a TripleHead2Go.Within 2 weeks the card will be available again and then I will buy one to test.In the setup of a friend of mine, who currently uses a TripleHead2Go I can test it.Then we will know it.
Is there not a major difference here? My understanding of TH2Go is that it displays only one view (View Fwd)- but stretched across 3 monitors. If that is correct, then only the pixel count for a single view needs to be computed & FPS remains constant. In fact, with the lateral stretching, some top and bottom of the view is trimmed off to fit the widened format. That is, for example- the horizon is closer to the top of the screen in TH2Go than with a single mon.My understanding of Eyefinity is that it can display multiple views such as Left Fwd,Fwd,Right Fwd. In which case the pixel count is hugely increased.And presumably all these views are processed through a single CPU- so I would expect Eyefinity to have a lower FPS.However when you have multiple views being displayed in a manner that your eyes/brain see as a wide single view, then the theories about FPS and viewability really get turned on their head!!FPS is not a good indicator with multiple synched views.Alex Reid

Is there not a major difference here? My understanding of TH2Go is that it displays only one view (View Fwd)- but stretched across 3 monitors.My understanding of Eyefinity is that it can display multiple views such as Left Fwd,Fwd,Right Fwd. In which case the pixel count is hugely increased.And presumably all these views are processed through a single CPU- so I would expect Eyefinity to have a lower FPS.
My enthousiasm is a bit tempered by the fact that for more than 3 monitors you will need the Eyefinity version of the card which has 6 display prts.However each port display - DVI adapter costs around $100, so a total of $600 has to be added to the card....For me 4 outside view monitors are enough, but I have to throw in $200 for it.I thought eyefinity gave you one wide monitor in FSX like the TripleHead2Go.If it is one wide desktop and each view has to be undocked and dragged to the appropriate monitor you will loose many framerates.Than it would be like 1 accelerated view and 3 undocked ones . You will end up with framerates below 5.

I thought eyefinity gave you one wide monitor in FSX like the TripleHead2Go.
You are correct, eyefinity does give you one wide monitor just like the Triplehead2go. The only difference is that eyefinity doesn't have bezel management yet, but I hear is coming.

You are correct, eyefinity does give you one wide monitor just like the Triplehead2go. The only difference is that eyefinity doesn't have bezel management yet, but I hear is coming.
Am I missing something here? Does not the TH2Go display simply a single View Forward- stretched across 3 monitors? If so, the Perspective will be 3 monitors wide but the Field of View will be still only 45

Am I missing something here? Does not the TH2Go display simply a single View Forward- stretched across 3 monitors? If so, the Perspective will be 3 monitors wide but the Field of View will be still only 45

Alex, TH2Go gives you a resolution of 5040*1050 across 3 monitors (for widescreen)
Jeff- yes, a very wide resolution or pixel count- but still displaying only View Forward. Normally at Zero zoom, this image would span 45

Jeff- yes, a very wide resolution or pixel count- but still displaying only View Forward. Normally at Zero zoom, this image would span 45

I assume we're talking about VC. If so, then you would get an increased FOV over 45o by using TH2GO.
Jeff- Virtual Cockpit Field of View (FoV) is 45

Alex, you may be correct, simply because I may be mixing words. Based on this -
- I would say that TH2go gives a >45o FOV. In the end, I believe that eyefinity and th2go accomplish the same goal and yield similar results. I may be 100% incorrect though
Jeff- yes, TH2Go, when zoomed out to max- 0.31, produces a FoV of 100

Jeff- yes, TH2Go, when zoomed out to max- 0.31, produces a FoV of 100

Alex, that is not going to happen as FSX is not programmed for that.The smallest zoom fator remains 0.30.If you want wider FOV you have to undock views and drag them to the side monitors.However you will loose about 40% fps per monitor.In FSX this is to much. With Fs9 this might be pulled off.I am a member of the Wideview team and willl investigate the options. Today I purchased a 3rd 26" monitor and was able to borrow a TripleHead2Go to test with it.I will let you know.
Hi Gerard- I'm running FS9 so can't comment re FSX.Yes- correct- adding/undocking/dragging views LFwd & RFwd to monitors #2,3 will increase FOV to 135