Sign in to follow this  
Guest Astradan

AS A320 - Just bought - Wow, this is really good

Guest Astradan

Sorry, I hope I don't get into trouble starting a new thread but it was important to me that this view did not get lost in all the noise in the other thread.I just bought Airsimmer A320 Basic and let me immediately say the following :-- I installed FS9 purely for this and with no other add-ons other than Cielosim Instant Enhancer and FS Global.- I have the following system which runs FSX well(ish) and FS9 awesomely; Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 Ghz, 4Mb RAM (w/3Gb switch), 8800 GTS 512Mb, Win XP.- I have not experienced a single CTD in the AS A320 in 3 complete flights (KSEA-LKAX, EGLL-ESSA & EGNT-EGGD).- I REALLY like this add-on, even as it currently is !As I said above, my FS9 install is completely fresh with only the 2 other addons shown above. I also did not load any other liveries for the AS 320 yet, so if it's these that are causing the CTDs, then that could by why I've not had them.Here are my broader first impressions of this add-on :-1. As others have said, the VC is awesome, best I've seen in FS9.2. Glass screens (PFD, ND, ECAM, etc) are really good for FS9 but not quite at MD-11 or JS41 standards in FSX (as you'd expect).3. For 2D users, the panels are beautiful.4. Sound is awesome! with the exception of the overhead switch 'click' and the sound when you move the throttle thru the detents, both of which are naff and clunky. There is also a 1 second 'break' between start up sounds and running sounds.5. On start up, the procedure works generally as per real A320, and as per PSS and feelThere products.6. MCDU: Yes some items are missing, most important I noticed was INIT2, but tons of SIDS and STARS are there and most things (like V speeds) etc can be entered and work fine.7. Although you can enter the FLX temp in the MCDU, the FLX setting on the A/T does not work and only commanded 70% N1 which wasn't getting me anywhere. So all take-offs are currently TO/GA at present.8. Once you've enterred your flight plan, you can activate NAV and CLB modes on the FCU. 9. On climbout, CLB engages and commands a 'simplified' 250kts up to 10,000, then 300kts above 10,000. Not perfect but far better than climbing by vertical speeds, as the default and 'lite' models do.10. Flight dynamics: I totally disagree with what some have said about this being a flying brick. My experience is that the FDE is excellent and 'autotrims' happen quicker than they do in the feelThere and PSS models. I didn't have to do anything with my joystick to set up for this aircraft, it just worked. Similarly approach was a delight by hand.11. The only thing that resembled a bug for me was that the AP disconnected in Cruise on my first flight. I increased joystick null zones to around 15% and never saw this issue again for the remainder of the flight and for two further full flights. (I do not have FSUIPC installed in this fresh FS9 installation, maybe those who do are seeing issues?).In summary, I have seen a number of areas that are clearly 'unfinished' in this add-on, I would struggle to think of anything that I woudl even loosely describe as a 'bug'. (except maybe the 'sound break' on engine start up) Just areas of the systems that clearly aren't finished yet. I am very happy with the add-on currently, and very very happy with the promise it has to get even better as it's 'completed' (My use of the term 'completed' here probably refers to the release of the 'Advanced' version).Having seen what is there so far, I would say that $40 dollars for the current version is a bargain. When I heard the Packs come on line having turned on APU and the bleeds, I knew my $40 hadn't been wasted. The quality of the sounds does give a feel similar to recent PMDG releases.I'm know I'm in the minority but I WOULD pay a further $90 for the full advanced version because the quality of this aircraft is awesome in many areas, and I want to support the developement and release of these types of products for FS.The Airsimmer marketing people have really let down those who have produced this product - poor decision-making and customer relationship management have taken all the shine away from a truly high end airbus product for FS. This clearly should not be branded as "A320 Basic" as it is NOT a basic or lite add-on, it is wholly a 'unfinishsed' high end add-on.From my experience today, it does not deserve what is being said about it. (Mostly from people who are upset about the upgrade policy, but who have not even bought or used the actual aircraft!). The Tablet PC approach is also excellent - all your load management, update management, livery downloads etc in one place. I have successfully d/loaded liveries using this app but as above, have only flown in the standard airsimmer livery so far.If you love the A320, and especially those who fly the feelThere Airbus Series 1, you are missing out if you ignore this one because of the 'noise'. Try it out with a clean FS installation and I am sure others will see the results I have seen.I spent 12 hours with this add-on so far, waiting with baited breath for a CTD that never happened! I'll leave it on that note.

Sorry, I hope I don't get into trouble starting a new thread but it was important to me that this view did not get lost in all the noise in the other thread.I just bought Airsimmer A320 Basic and let me immediately say the following :-- I installed FS9 purely for this and with no other add-ons other than Cielosim Instant Enhancer and FS Global.- I have the following system which runs FSX well(ish) and FS9 awesomely; Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0 Ghz, 4Mb RAM (w/3Gb switch), 8800 GTS 512Mb, Win XP.- I have not experienced a single CTD in the AS A320 in 3 complete flights (KSEA-LKAX, EGLL-ESSA & EGNT-EGGD).- I REALLY like this add-on, even as it currently is !As I said above, my FS9 install is completely fresh with only the 2 other addons shown above. I also did not load any other liveries for the AS 320 yet, so if it's these that are causing the CTDs, then that could by why I've not had them.Here are my broader first impressions of this add-on :-1. As others have said, the VC is awesome, best I've seen in FS9.2. Glass screens (PFD, ND, ECAM, etc) are really good for FS9 but not quite at MD-11 or JS41 standards in FSX (as you'd expect).3. For 2D users, the panels are beautiful.4. Sound is awesome! with the exception of the overhead switch 'click' and the sound when you move the throttle thru the detents, both of which are naff and clunky. There is also a 1 second 'break' between start up sounds and running sounds.5. On start up, the procedure works generally as per real A320, and as per PSS and feelThere products.6. MCDU: Yes some items are missing, most important I noticed was INIT2, but tons of SIDS and STARS are there and most things (like V speeds) etc can be entered and work fine.7. Although you can enter the FLX temp in the MCDU, the FLX setting on the A/T does not work and only commanded 70% N1 which wasn't getting me anywhere. So all take-offs are currently TO/GA at present.8. Once you've enterred your flight plan, you can activate NAV and CLB modes on the FCU. 9. On climbout, CLB engages and commands a 'simplified' 250kts up to 10,000, then 300kts above 10,000. Not perfect but far better than climbing by vertical speeds, as the default and 'lite' models do.10. Flight dynamics: I totally disagree with what some have said about this being a flying brick. My experience is that the FDE is excellent and 'autotrims' happen quicker than they do in the feelThere and PSS models. I didn't have to do anything with my joystick to set up for this aircraft, it just worked. Similarly approach was a delight by hand.11. The only thing that resembled a bug for me was that the AP disconnected in Cruise on my first flight. I increased joystick null zones to around 15% and never saw this issue again for the remainder of the flight and for two further full flights. (I do not have FSUIPC installed in this fresh FS9 installation, maybe those who do are seeing issues?).In summary, I have seen a number of areas that are clearly 'unfinished' in this add-on, I would struggle to think of anything that I woudl even loosely describe as a 'bug'. (except maybe the 'sound break' on engine start up) Just areas of the systems that clearly aren't finished yet. I am very happy with the add-on currently, and very very happy with the promise it has to get even better as it's 'completed' (My use of the term 'completed' here probably refers to the release of the 'Advanced' version).Having seen what is there so far, I would say that $40 dollars for the current version is a bargain. When I heard the Packs come on line having turned on APU and the bleeds, I knew my $40 hadn't been wasted. The quality of the sounds does give a feel similar to recent PMDG releases.I'm know I'm in the minority but I WOULD pay a further $90 for the full advanced version because the quality of this aircraft is awesome in many areas, and I want to support the developement and release of these types of products for FS.The Airsimmer marketing people have really let down those who have produced this product - poor decision-making and customer relationship management have taken all the shine away from a truly high end airbus product for FS. This clearly should not be branded as "A320 Basic" as it is NOT a basic or lite add-on, it is wholly a 'unfinishsed' high end add-on.From my experience today, it does not deserve what is being said about it. (Mostly from people who are upset about the upgrade policy, but who have not even bought or used the actual aircraft!). The Tablet PC approach is also excellent - all your load management, update management, livery downloads etc in one place. I have successfully d/loaded liveries using this app but as above, have only flown in the standard airsimmer livery so far.If you love the A320, and especially those who fly the feelThere Airbus Series 1, you are missing out if you ignore this one because of the 'noise'. Try it out with a clean FS installation and I am sure others will see the results I have seen.I spent 6 hours with this add-on today, waiting with baited breath for a CTD that never happened! I'll leave it on that note.
Well said David not everyone has had a bad experience so its nice to read the positive side I own it got it as a early christmas present from my wife but haven't had a chance at all to start a flight.

Cesar Martinez

Current system specs 

Amd 7800x3D MPG B650I EDGE WIFI  CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB DDR5

Alienware 34 aw3418dw at 120Hz 3440x1440 ultra wide

Asrock RX7900XT 2x 2gb GB ssd drives 1 GB western digital  nvme. windows 11.

Great review. It's really a shame that the product itself is getting bashed due to most people being upset about the marketing. I think we all need to just cool off and let this product develop. Very encouraging and I'll be waiting for the 'advanced' version.

Guest Astradan

Two further considerations, on some of the issues that some people are having :-1). Autoflight issues. Try this :-- Removing FSUIPC from your FS9 Modules folder (just temporarily store it somewhere outside the FS9 folder).- Going into FS9 and doing a fresh joystick calibration.- Setting joystick Null Zones at around 15% in FS Controls > Sensitivities.I done the above and have no AP disconnects, no lack of climb/descent/vs control, and no 'bobbing' in cruise.2). CTDs.- Try flying the standard 'airsimmer' livery on the CFM-engined version only. Most CTDs seem to be connected to some of the additional liveries, and possibly (not by any means confirmed) the IAE engined models.Just something for others to try.David

Thank you David. Finally, a level headed review and a more analytic approach to the reported bugs. Good that you stuck to the subject.Best regards,Mel

Great review. It's really a shame that the product itself is getting bashed due to most people being upset about the marketing. I think we all need to just cool off and let this product develop. Very encouraging and I'll be waiting for the 'advanced' version.
That's because that's the main problem! Let's face it, no addon/applications today is released bug free, it's not good, it's just the nature of the beast. It's the no upgrade policy that have people riled up! Really their position doesn't make sense, and they're cutting themselves in the throat, by maintaining it. Most people without an upgrade option who always intended to buy the advanced option will not pay twice for the same product + enhancements, and will wait until the advanced release, or buy the basic just to try it out. (It is a new developer after all and people are curious) but will return it before the 30 day refund period and wait for the advanced, if they like what they see. This will cut into their initial sales, and if they indeed released the basic early due to financial pressures as they state, they may ultimately not make enough to continue development, and there won't be an advanced version released! An upgrade path helps everyone. People who just want the basic version gets it, the people that would have bought the advanced version would feel better about buying it up front as they ultimately would end up paying the same as if the advanced version was already released, and AirSimmers takes in more initial sales revenue, to help them complete the project.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

That's because that's the main problem! Let's face it, no addon/applications today is released bug free, it's not good, it's just the nature of the beast. It's the no upgrade policy that have people riled up! Really their position doesn't make sense, and they're cutting themselves in the throat, by maintaining it. Most people without an upgrade option who always intended to buy the advanced option will not pay twice for the same product + enhancements, and will wait until the advanced release, or buy the basic just to try it out. (It is a new developer after all and people are curious) but will return it before the 30 day refund period and wait for the advanced, if they like what they see. This will cut into their initial sales, and if they indeed released the basic early due to financial pressures as they state, they may ultimately not make enough to continue development, and there won't be an advanced version released! An upgrade path helps everyone. People who just want the basic version gets it, the people that would have bought the advanced version would feel better about buying it up front as they ultimately would end up paying the same as if the advanced version was already released, and AirSimmers takes in more initial sales revenue, to help them complete the project.
I agree with you, but perhaps we should keep this thread clear of the debate over sales strategy and allow some discussion about the product itself?I'm really pleased it's got some promise. I'm holding out for the FSX advanced version, but without knowing if and when that's going to happen I'm finding it more and more difficult to do so!I look forward to reading about how others are finding the new Airbus..Ian

Two further considerations, on some of the issues that some people are having :-1). Autoflight issues. Try this :-- Removing FSUIPC from your FS9 Modules folder (just temporarily store it somewhere outside the FS9 folder).- Going into FS9 and doing a fresh joystick calibration.- Setting joystick Null Zones at around 15% in FS Controls > Sensitivities.I done the above and have no AP disconnects, no lack of climb/descent/vs control, and no 'bobbing' in cruise.2). CTDs.- Try flying the standard 'airsimmer' livery on the CFM-engined version only. Most CTDs seem to be connected to some of the additional liveries, and possibly (not by any means confirmed) the IAE engined models.Just something for others to try.David
Great review from someone who actually owns this awesome diamond in the rough... Concerning the CTD's this is not an issue of liveries and/or IAE models. I've flown the default livery with the CFM engines and get CTD's so it's not that. What you have discovered like what happened with Eaglesoft's Beechjet and the SSTSIM's Concord is an incompatiblity issue with another FS add-on. Something most of us have installed is not jiving with Airsimmers Airbus. Great find and a very difficult nut to crack for us and Airsimmer...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Hey David I've consistently not gotten any CTD's today when I load up a flight with the default Cessna first, shut everything off including the master battery switch then load up the AS A320 and go flying...

FS2020 

thanks for a good review. I guess my question, not owning a wilco/or PSS for comparison, is how are the throttle and flight controls modeled? Does it act like normal law when hand-flying, and how do the throttle detents and throttle out of detent work (with and without A/T)?scott s..

thanks for a good review. I guess my question, not owning a wilco/or PSS for comparison, is how are the throttle and flight controls modeled? Does it act like normal law when hand-flying, and how do the throttle detents and throttle out of detent work (with and without A/T)?scott s..
Feelthere/Wilco modeled the throttle more accurately than PSS and this model is pretty much like the Wilco bird. Hand flying has a very precise feel to it more so than what you'd get with other Airliners. A careful hand is needed when hand flying an approach which seems true to FBW. The CTD issue is no longer a problem as long as you load up the default Cessna and shut everything off (master electrical switch included) then load up the A320. I've been having some great flights both day and night with this bird so far.

FS2020 

Guest Astradan

Hi guys,I definately agree that it will be good for everyone, if we keep this thread to discussion on the actual product, not the upgrade policy (which incidentally I don't like either).Les - Absolutely agree, I have done all flights so far by loading up the default C172 first, then shutting it to dark and cold, before loading up the Airsimmer A320 CFM.Incidentally I now have 7 complete flights under my belt and no CTDs or crashes of any sort. I believe it's exactly right that the CTDs that some people are getting are highly likely to be caused by conflicts with other add-ons, or perhaps FS9 tweaks. My absolutely standard, almost add-on free FS9 install just loves the AS A320!I have now downloaded all the liveries and have flown the First Choice and BA liveries - with no problems or crashes whatsoever. In answer to the question about the A/T - it is quite realistic, it models the detents and works well in CLB modes and in SPEED mode, etc. You can also disconnect the A/T for a manual thrust landing too. The only area of the A/T not yet implemented as I mentioned above is the FLEX setting. I have now noted that regardless of the temp entered into Flex box in the INIT1 page, Flex always defaults to 79.5% N1 which is insufficient for all but the absolute lightest T.O.W's in my experience. So I'm just going with TO/GA for now.One bug I have found is that the Flaps do not work with any assigned axis for me. So if I assign Flaps control to a lever on my throttle quad (or any other axis), it has no effect. But buttons assigned to the 'flap increment extend' etc commands work fine.I've also found that the flight director does not seem to command a Roll indication, where HDG is used on take-off. It works when I select HDG once I'm in flight, but not when setting HDG on the ground. I will look further into this in case it's user error.Aside from that, I am not seeing any other bugs, as above just soe features not yet implemented.This is how people start rumours about bugs:- On my first couple of flights I was getting a "TOGA LOCK" and "A.FLOOR" indication from the A/T shortly after every take-off. "A bug!" I thought at first...... In fact I was taking off with 100% fuel, (ie..very heavy) and with V speeds that were far too low (V1: 129, VR: 134, V2: 142). The Alpha floor and TOGA LOCK indications were entirely correct and realistic. No bug.I absolutely love this add-on so far, and there is the opportunity for it get so much better. It has already retired the feelThere Airbus for me. Oh did I mention the night lighting ? Stunning! FS9 shouldn't look this good! FSX is getting a deserved break on my system right now.

Oh did I mention the night lighting ? Stunning! FS9 shouldn't look this good! FSX is getting a deserved break on my system right now.
The night lighting is outstanding... :(

FS2020 

All this talk is just getting me more excited about purchasing the A320 from AirSimmer! I'll start flying more flights in my FsPassenger's company to raise more funds for an A320 purchase. I might have to defer funds from my 773ER acquisition account to focus on more domestic and medium haul international flights, lol.Not sure if can wait till December's paycheck to purchase it! :(

All this talk is just getting me more excited about purchasing the A320 from AirSimmer! I'll start flying more flights in my FsPassenger's company to raise more funds for an A320 purchase. I might have to defer funds from my 773ER acquisition account to focus on more domestic and medium haul international flights, lol.Not sure if can wait till December's paycheck to purchase it! :(
Once the advanced version becomes available, i'm buying. Always wanted a 'bus with all the bells and whistles. My first was a huge disapointment-a310-hopefuly this will be the one. Thanks for the reviews.