Sign in to follow this  
Guest smegger

Memory problem (both PC and mine)

Guest smegger

I have a 32bit Vista PC with 4Gb RAM installed. After I bought the PC I found out that 32bit systems could not use all 4Gb RAM. In the Windows Control Panel/System and maintenance/System screen my memory (RAM) was displayed as 2814. I found a tweak that increased this to 3326. I have just had to reformat my hard drive and the value is back to 2814 and I cannot remember how I increased the RAM. I usually note down any tweaks but this slipped the net. Does anyone know how I did it? Another question I have is regarding the paging file. I have been told that a value of 1-1.5 times the RAM is best but is this, in my case, 1-1.5 times the installed RAM of 4Gb or 1-1.5 times the RAM value in the System page? Thanks .Phil.

I have a 32bit Vista PC with 4Gb RAM installed. After I bought the PC I found out that 32bit systems could not use all 4Gb RAM. In the Windows Control Panel/System and maintenance/System screen my memory (RAM) was displayed as 2814. I found a tweak that increased this to 3326. I have just had to reformat my hard drive and the value is back to 2814 and I cannot remember how I increased the RAM. I usually note down any tweaks but this slipped the net. Does anyone know how I did it? Another question I have is regarding the paging file. I have been told that a value of 1-1.5 times the RAM is best but is this, in my case, 1-1.5 times the installed RAM of 4Gb or 1-1.5 times the RAM value in the System page? Thanks .Phil.
You should test your memory sticks with memtest64. Maybe you have a bad stick. http://www.memtest86.com/I never had Vista so I don't know if it can use the '/3GB /userva=2650' parameters in it's 'boot.ini' file.According to this list Vista 32bit should use 4GB max. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa...s_windows_vistaVista might only show 3GB but probably use all 4GB. Any Vista 32bit users out there?As far as the the paging file I would set it a 4096 and as a permanent size.I found this http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp...essage=24158581 but use at your own risk!

If you go to Computer/Properties, you should see all 4 gigs listed.Let windows determine page file size.You will still need the 3 gb switch.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

What does it say regarding available memory in Task manager and during boot up. I found I had a problem with my system seeing 6GB (different problem). Some places it would show 4GB, some 6GB. What it shows during boot is what it is using.I'm sure memtest would do the trick as well.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Guest smegger

Many thanks to all who took the time to reply. I tried to find memtest64 but could only find memtest86 version 4.00. There were 2 types, bootable ISO and bootable binary. I don't know the difference. Would either of these work for me? I looked under Computer/Properties and this gave a RAM of 2814. The task manager performance tab displayed :Physical memory : Total 2813 Cached 1709 Free 523Kernel memory : Total 365 Paged 307 Non paged 76I'm not too sure what the 3Gb switch is but I'll do a search on the internet for it.Thanks again.Phil

Memtest 86 4.0 is the right program. You want the bootable iso, and you'll need a program with which to burn said iso. I recommend Power ISO or Magic ISO.

Guest smegger

I seem to have found the answer to my memory problem. The memory itself is working OK. I had forgotten to install Vista SP1. I have now installed Vista SP1 and Computer/Properties not shows 4Gb memory. Thanks to those who replied to my problem.