Sign in to follow this  
raymar

A real Newbie to Heavies - seeking advice

I just purchased the 747 Queens of the Skies for FSX DVD yesterday based on advice from simmers reading the FSX forum. After installing with no problems and looking at that cold and dark cockpit, I made a quick exit, and started asking for advice on learning how to fly this baby. I have some You Tube links for tutorials and a link for a great looking FS9 tutorial. I am jumping from that post to this forum seeking the same advice specific to fsx. It may or may mot make much difference in that I only have fsx and never did have FS9. What I am intested in is suggestions and "don't do this or that", amd links to very basic tutorials or how-tos starting with - OMG this ain't no Cessna, to Vr Captain. I know absolutely nothing about Boeing equipment and/or FMCs for that matter. Garmins I know from fss light twins (Realair Duke and Eaglesoft Twin Comanche). I have a dog eared, yellowed, real world Commerical License, S & MEL, Seaplane, Glider, Instrument, DC-3 Type Rating, CFI, Advanced and Instrument Ground Instructors rating that have not been used for about 30 years. Oh, and I have a litlle over 5,500 hours, many of them in the right seat of a single engine something (retractable / CS prop) in the pattern in Florida or island hopping thru the Bahamas dodging thunderstoms.My ears are open, I have a high speed internet connection, and a TB of free storage space, and ready to learn. Thanks. Ray Marshall

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Hi Ray, your first port of call would be:http://ops.precisionmanuals.com/wiki/PMDG_Type_Rating_CourseThis will give you a basic understanding of starting it up from 'Cold & Dark'Further to that there is a tutorial by Craig Read but it's a long flight - London/New York so if you use that I hope you're using 64bit Windows.The FS9 tutorials work quite well in FSX as the Queen is the same. If you're stuck don't hesitate to contact me or post in the forum - lots of help about in here.John Ellison

Guest lgvpilot1

Hi RayGive this site a look at http://smithplanet.com/fs2004/pmdg/Now the guide is based on Fs2004 , but the aircraft is the same :( As the site saysThis guide will:guide you through the standard startup, taxi, takeoff, climb, cruise, approach, and landing procedures for the PMDG 747. provide an illustrated guide to the major systems and controls of the 747. provide an simple, logical, and easy to understand method for operating the 747 similarly to real-world operations. This guide will NOT:be a substitute for the official PMDG manual. teach you all operations of the aircraft. teach you how to program and use the FMC beyond what is needed to minimally operate the aircraft. teach you about or how to fully use the autopilot functions. It will get you from a cold and dark start up to a cat 3 autoland have fun Mark

I just purchased the 747 Queens of the Skies for FSX DVD yesterday based on advice from simmers reading the FSX forum. After installing with no problems and looking at that cold and dark cockpit, I made a quick exit, and started asking for advice on learning how to fly this baby. I have some You Tube links for tutorials and a link for a great looking FS9 tutorial. I am jumping from that post to this forum seeking the same advice specific to fsx. It may or may mot make much difference in that I only have fsx and never did have FS9. What I am intested in is suggestions and "don't do this or that", amd links to very basic tutorials or how-tos starting with - OMG this ain't no Cessna, to Vr Captain. I know absolutely nothing about Boeing equipment and/or FMCs for that matter. Garmins I know from fss light twins (Realair Duke and Eaglesoft Twin Comanche). I have a dog eared, yellowed, real world Commerical License, S & MEL, Seaplane, Glider, Instrument, DC-3 Type Rating, CFI, Advanced and Instrument Ground Instructors rating that have not been used for about 30 years. Oh, and I have a litlle over 5,500 hours, many of them in the right seat of a single engine something (retractable / CS prop) in the pattern in Florida or island hopping thru the Bahamas dodging thunderstoms.My ears are open, I have a high speed internet connection, and a TB of free storage space, and ready to learn. Thanks. Ray Marshall
In addition to the two excellent links above, thanks guys. I just found this one:http://www.fs-tutorials.com/en/tuto_B747_400_02_PMDG_01.phpThis appears to be an excellent show and tell type of tutorial for getting up and running.Ray Marshall

You can try this link to look at the tutorial - or download it if you sign up.http://www.scribd.com/doc/2327687/PMDG-747...al-EGLL-to-KLAXFailing that send me a PM with your Email address and I'll see if I can find it in the depths of my pc's. The one in Franglais isn't that easy to understand so not for the novice.Of course there's always flyaoamedia.com for the AOA 747 dvd or on the PMDG website.John Ellison

You can try this link to look at the tutorial - or download it if you sign up.http://www.scribd.com/doc/2327687/PMDG-747...al-EGLL-to-KLAXFailing that send me a PM with your Email address and I'll see if I can find it in the depths of my pc's. The one in Franglais isn't that easy to understand so not for the novice.Of course there's always flyaoamedia.com for the AOA 747 dvd or on the PMDG website.John Ellison
pmdg_744_egll_to_klax_tutorial_version_1.0_206648.zipWould you believe it is right here in the Avsim downloads. Search for the above file name.RayM

Well I never lol - learn something every day lolA tip for you - as a novice NEVER fly the 747 empty... it becomes a REAL handful.John Ellison

Just another thumbs up for the "Angle of Attack" training DVD, very useful for giving a general overview, and then diving into the specifics of this great simulation.Regards Steve Weeks

Steve Weeks

Just added a signature. Checking it out

Guest 413X3

once you load the 747X, and are sitting at the ramp, go up to the pmdg menu, then options I think it's called (havent played fsx due to computer problems for a while) and make sure there is a check box for "always have ground/air power available"then start learning the checklist, and before you know it you can start from cold and dark to engines running AND fmc programmed in the 10 minutes it takes to align the INS

pmdg_744_egll_to_klax_tutorial_version_1.0_206648.zipWould you believe it is right here in the Avsim downloads. Search for the above file name.RayM
D'OH!