Sign in to follow this  
ibanez737

Flight Pro Sim?! Has anyone heard of this?

I just found this website: http://www.flightprosim.com/A civil flight sim that I've never heard of before. My "shady" alarms are howling like there's no tomorrow; I find the fact that they spell it "Air Craft" particularly worrying. Does anyone know what the heck this is??-Scott A

Hi,It's a pay version of a free program that you can download and install.

Hi,It's a pay version of a free program that you can download and install.
Which free program would that be, FlightGear? Sorry, I'm confused :(

I find the fact that they spell it "Air Craft" particularly worrying.
Urgh?? Why is that? "Aircraft" is correct.

If you want this, just use FlightGear ! Of course FlightProSim is an old downgraded copy of FlightGear. He can sell it, but he can't sell some freeware sceneries he shows on his screenshots. Not all sceneries are distributed under the GPL licence. So I consider it's a scam.

If you want this, just use FlightGear ! Of course FlightProSim is an old downgraded copy of FlightGear. He can sell it, but he can't sell some freeware sceneries he shows on his screenshots. Not all sceneries are distributed under the GPL licence. So I consider it's a scam.
Of course that's a scam! In fact, that is somewhat a copyright violation - unless of course, the authors of FlightGear have relinquished full ownership of the software and have allowed the transfer of copyright schemes to FlightProSim. In my country, we have laws regarding copyright issues, and if I get him sued, its 7 years behind bars for him, or 1 billion IDR as maximum penalties in total. Dave.

Of course that's a scam! In fact, that is somewhat a copyright violation - unless of course, the authors of FlightGear have relinquished full ownership of the software and have allowed the transfer of copyright schemes to FlightProSim. In my country, we have laws regarding copyright issues, and if I get him sued, its 7 years behind bars for him, or 1 billion IDR as maximum penalties in total. Dave.
It isn't copyright violation. FlightGear is released under the GNU General Public Licence. When you install FlightGear that licence is displayed and has to be accepted before continuing. The licence includes the words:" When we speak of free software, we are referring to freedom, not price. Our General Public Licenses are designed to make sure that you have the freedom to distribute copies of free software (and charge for this service if you wish)..."

As MGH points out, unfortunately although it is a hustle of sorts, it isn't a copyright violation. In short there is a fairly wide loophole in the release agreement of flight gear which means creating this tarted up version of flight gear and selling it as something new can be done, although as you might imagine, the creators of flight gear are less than thrilled about the situation, and have said so too.Unfortunately, such philanthropic creations are open to abuse. Like the creators of flight gear, I think it's fairly disgraceful behaviour too, but opinions aside it's not illegal at all. It's effectively a bit like when you get scammers selling tickets outside museums to unsuspecting tourists when it's actually free to get into the museum, dodgy for sure, but it trades off the fact that people are unaware of all the facts. Depending on where your moral compass points, you could view that as either clever or shameful, and it might actually be both!Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here