Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

abschwartzjr

ABS Altutude Gauge Grand Caravan

I have been flying the Cessna Grand Caravan and cannot figure out what the ABS Altitude gauge is for. Could anyone help me? I have googled it but there really isn't anything about one. Thank you for your responses.Art Schwartz, Jr.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Well it's just an ordinary radio altimeter. It displays your height (not altitude) above ground level at any time. Could be useful for precision approaches, where you might have a decision height of 200'. So since your RALT shows height, you can simply take that gauge, instead of taking the baro altitude of the altimeter and messing around with airfield elevation + DH. I believe it has a bug for you to set that DH, if you like (so for an ordinary CAT I ILS set it to said 200'). Once you descend thru DH, an amber DH light will illuminate to let you know. Can't remember from the top of my mind though if you will find that light on the ADI or on the RALT gauge itself. If you need more explanation, let us know. But as said, it basically shows absolute height above terrain.Edit:Just found a picture of the real thing. Find the light in the top left corner of the ADI.

Well it's just an ordinary radio altimeter. It displays your height (not altitude) above ground level at any time. Could be useful for precision approaches, where you might have a decision height of 200'. So since your RALT shows height, you can simply take that gauge, instead of taking the baro altitude of the altimeter and messing around with airfield elevation + DH. I believe it has a bug for you to set that DH, if you like (so for an ordinary CAT I ILS set it to said 200'). Once you descend thru DH, an amber DH light will illuminate to let you know. Can't remember from the top of my mind though if you will find that light on the ADI or on the RALT gauge itself. If you need more explanation, let us know. But as said, it basically shows absolute height above terrain.Edit:Just found a picture of the real thing. Find the light in the top left corner of the ADI.
Thank you much. I understand now. It's too bad the default Caravan has the gauge but does not have the DH light on the ADI, so I guess in the default model it doesn't do anything. Your explaination was perfect.Art Schwartz, Jr.