Sign in to follow this  
Avirtualpilot

Fuel planning: advises

Hi to everybody,I'm using this beautiful addon and i try to use it in the best way.I've made many long flights but I've never been sure if I choose the right column in the fuel planning.Please follow my example so you can tel me what's wrong.Flight NTAA (tahiti) - YMML (Melbourne)Lengh trip 3701nmok let's startZ.F.W......520.000 +M.L.F.........24.000 +ALT.F..........7.200 +CONT.F.....20.000 =--------------------------------P.L.W.......571.200 +F.P.F........210.256 =ok now I explain how I've obtained this valueI've choosen the last one column (FL310/488) Why? I think I'm heavy and hte other columns start with an altitude too much higherI've selected le 4000nm line (300 nm more than the lengh of the flight I think doesn't change too much)so calculation is: 184.00+[(320x10)x 8.08]=210.256Ok let's continue with the fuel planning.....P.L.W........571.200 +F.P.F.........210.256 =-------------------------------P.G.T.O.W..781.456 +T.F.B.O..........5.000 =-------------------------------P.T.O.W.....785.456Ok now I determinate the altitude looking at the Maximun & Optimum cruise altitude and the four engine Mach .86 crise tabelFrom the first tabel (max. and opt. alt.) I see the optimum altitude is FL320 due to my weight in take off and the same is from the other tabel.Ok so I've done all rightly or I've made some errors?And for the step climb, how have I to calculate? ICAO or feet?thanks in advance for helping.A Virtual pilot

Edoardo Paulicelli

fsxnz1yr0.jpg

My fsx runs on: CPU:Corei7950@4.1Ghz (196*21) Mobo:Asus P6tDeluxeV2 RAM:Corsair 12Gb Video:Nvidia 580 GTX HDD:2 WD 130Gb + 1 Seagate barracuda 500Gb

I've selected le 4000nm line (300 nm more than the lengh of the flight I think doesn't change too much)
Instead of path length, you should be using Nautical Air Miles, which is the path lenght adjusted for expected winds. An average headwind would increase the NAM.I use 2000 ft for step climbs, assuming I am in RVSM airspace.I also use the FMS as an aid to determining the optimum altitude and a check on my fuel calcs. Actually, if you have forecast winds for each leg it will do a good job of forecasting fuel requirements.I didn't follow you calcs closely, it's been awhile since I have done the long hauls with the queen and the acroynms are not instantly recognizeable anymore.Many endorse the TOPCAT program for flight planning if you are interested.

Dan Downs KCRP

Instead of path length, you should be using Nautical Air Miles, which is the path lenght adjusted for expected winds. An average headwind would increase the NAM.I use 2000 ft for step climbs, assuming I am in RVSM airspace.I also use the FMS as an aid to determining the optimum altitude and a check on my fuel calcs. Actually, if you have forecast winds for each leg it will do a good job of forecasting fuel requirements.I didn't follow you calcs closely, it's been awhile since I have done the long hauls with the queen and the acroynms are not instantly recognizeable anymore.Many endorse the TOPCAT program for flight planning if you are interested.
Thanks for your advices! Where can I find this TOPCAT?

Edoardo Paulicelli

fsxnz1yr0.jpg

My fsx runs on: CPU:Corei7950@4.1Ghz (196*21) Mobo:Asus P6tDeluxeV2 RAM:Corsair 12Gb Video:Nvidia 580 GTX HDD:2 WD 130Gb + 1 Seagate barracuda 500Gb

TOPCATI use it, and highly recommend it.
I second that motion. Topcat is fantastic. And it is always being updated. I mean always. It seems like a new update about once a month. And the updates are free and add significant functionality.It is great for being able to determine optimum flaps settings, to thrust, generate load sheets, reports, the works.I cannot recommend Topcat enough.

Scott Kalin VATSIM #1125397 - KPSP Palm Springs International Airport
Space Shuttle (SSMS2007) http://www.space-shu....com/index.html
Orbiter 2010P1 http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/