Sign in to follow this  
greggerm

iPhone - LiveATC Application

What a great little program. It's a fairly simple, basic premise - it gives your iPhone access to the entire set of LiveATC live radio feeds. When I bought it, it was $3. I balked initially at it being that price, but when you think about it, the app effectively turns your iPhone into an airband scanner with limitless range. So long as your airports of interest have LiveATC feeds, you can listen to them where ever you are! Looks like in the days following my purchase, they put it on sale for $0.99, so at least temporarily it's on par with many other programs. For that price, there's really no excuse if you're an airplane junkie. Sound quality through the iPhone speakers is quite acceptable... but it does depend somewhat on the quality of the feed. I'm sitting at work in Rhode Island right now listening to (EIDW) Dublin, Ireland. Earlier in the day, I listened in as an airplane had a minor emergency over at (KBDL) Bradley in Connecticut, which ended up being remedied in the air... I think they rolled trucks for it anyway.(they had a glitch with their leading edge slats). I just flipped on the high-frequency North Atlantic tracks feed - sounds like a cold war channel with the HF static and noises, along with the seemingly random location reports. So far, I don't think the app has access to the LiveATC archives, which you can get through the website. (I used the archives to go back in time and download the recording of ME on the radios when I was taking flight lessons)Check your airports of interest on the LiveATC website, and if there's a feed, skip the coffee and donut tomorrow morning and get the application! It's worth it! (*Note that there's no guarantee your local airport has a feed, so be sure to check the website to see if it does) My battery is going to regret this purchase... -Greg(Edited to reflect the apparent sale price change from $3 down to $1!)

Guest AVN8tr

I don't get it.. I don't have an iphone.. but why would you have to pay money to access a webpage? I imagine you can just go to http://www.liveatc.net/ directly can't you?

You certainly can access the LiveATC.net webpage on your computer for free, but you cannot access the streams when you are browsing on a smartphone. The application brings the ATC streams to the phone, thus opening the door to a truly portable way of listening. You can listen in the car... listen to the activity around you as you wait in an airport terminal for your flight... listen at the gym... you know, all the portable listening opportunities you might not have had. -Greg

Guest AVN8tr

Odd I would have thought it would work... to be quite honest with you I don't even use a cellphone. But yeah that's definitely better than what they play on the radio these days... I've even heard Air Force 1 on liveatc.net, remember the "authority" in his voice quite clearly :)