Sign in to follow this  
Guest Steve1970

GarSim530

Guest Steve1970

HiI just thought I'd say hello, am working on a Garmin530 hardware panel.I am in the throws of completing the GarSim530 design and thought you may like to see my progress so far.Basically I am making a glorified "joystick/input controller" which interfaces via FSUIPC to FSX or more specifcally to Reality XP's fantastic GNS530 software add-oniso.jpgHere is the overall design using Solidworks 3D Cad.iso%20no%20face.jpgand without the face plateGarsim530Iso.jpgThis is the PCB Panel with the various encoders and push buttons laid out around the LCD screenPBB.jpgHere is my printed circuit board which is currently in manufacture by Tecbridge circuits (I designed this on freepcb - yes its free!)LCD.jpgThe LCD screen is a 5.7" VGA unit - I resized the Reality XP gauge to fit just the map to the screeninterface%20card.jpgThe Interface card is from Leo Bodnar - its a BU0836Xencoders%20n%20buttons.jpgVarious encoders and bushbuttonsAs soon as I have more done and as the other parts arrive I will keep you updated.All the bestSteve.

HiI just thought I'd say hello, am working on a Garmin530 hardware panel.I am in the throws of completing the GarSim530 design and thought you may like to see my progress so far.Basically I am making a glorified "joystick/input controller" which interfaces via FSUIPC to FSX or more specifcally to Reality XP's fantastic GNS530 software add-oniso.jpgHere is the overall design using Solidworks 3D Cad.iso%20no%20face.jpgand without the face plateGarsim530Iso.jpgThis is the PCB Panel with the various encoders and push buttons laid out around the LCD screenPBB.jpgHere is my printed circuit board which is currently in manufacture by Tecbridge circuits (I designed this on freepcb - yes its free!)LCD.jpgThe LCD screen is a 5.7" VGA unit - I resized the Reality XP gauge to fit just the map to the screeninterface%20card.jpgThe Interface card is from Leo Bodnar - its a BU0836Xencoders%20n%20buttons.jpgVarious encoders and bushbuttonsAs soon as I have more done and as the other parts arrive I will keep you updated.All the bestSteve.
Wow.. Excellent project. Definately keep us up to date on this one

Guest Steve1970
Wow.. Excellent project. Definately keep us up to date on this one
Hi All,My PCB arrived today, here are some pics, been busy soldering but off to the pub now with my better half! Will test tommorow, fingers crossed all will work fine!PA270729.JPGThe PCB I designed on Free PCB and manufactured by Tecbridge circuits, have a couple of spares due to minimum order requirementsPA270750.JPGSoldering, with the good old lead stuff!! forget the lead free, it is so hard to work with.Thanks for viewingSteve.

Hi Steve,Your work looks very nice. I made a similar unit using GoFlight remote mount kits and an 8" VGA LCD monitor. No PCB, just panel mounted Mountain momentary switches from Mouser.http://homeflightsim.blogspot.com/Ever consider doing the same for the Garmin G1000 PDF and MFD?

Guest Steve1970

Hi All,Just an update, starting to look a bit like gpsPA300726.JPGPA300736.JPGThanksSteve

Guest Steve1970
Hi Steve,Your work looks very nice. I made a similar unit using GoFlight remote mount kits and an 8" VGA LCD monitor. No PCB, just panel mounted Mountain momentary switches from Mouser.http://homeflightsim.blogspot.com/Ever consider doing the same for the Garmin G1000 PDF and MFD?
hi Waltyours looks very nice, what are you using for your primary six instruments?G1000 is nice but I don't think I can afford to fly aircraft real world with such a system so it doesn't interest me so much. Well at the moment anyway, unless I win the lottery.ThanksSteve.

That looks fantastic steve. Where did you get the faceplate? Did you have that proffessionally made as well or did you make it yourself?Gary

Guest Steve1970
That looks fantastic steve. Where did you get the faceplate? Did you have that proffessionally made as well or did you make it yourself?Gary
The face plate was made using 3D printing SLS. It is a laser sintered item ideal for prototyping as it is a fraction of the cost of plastic mould tooling.There are plenty of people doing it, I used a company here in the UK called 11th hour prototypes. Cost 100 pound without finishing

hi Waltyours looks very nice, what are you using for your primary six instruments?G1000 is nice but I don't think I can afford to fly aircraft real world with such a system so it doesn't interest me so much. Well at the moment anyway, unless I win the lottery.ThanksSteve.
Hi Steve,Mostly PM RJ software but looking to move to the G1000 hence the question. Mixing different FS software does make it challenging to get them to interact together.

Hi Steve,I resized the Reality XP gauge to fit just the map to the screen.Can you tell me how to making just GPS map in with r

Guest Steve1970

Hi AllFinally finished my Garmin 530 box. I will be posting a PDF document in the next week or so, containing all the information needed if you fancy building one yourself.Thanks,StevePB110736.JPGPB110740.JPGPB110767.JPGPB110746.JPGPB110766.JPGPB110748.JPG

Guest Steve1970
That looks fantastic-I want one!
thanks Geofa, great videos by the way!

thanks Geofa, great videos by the way!
Thanks!I have a lilliput screen sitting in my closet just itching to do something like you did..

Very nice project. I was interested how you did get these white characters on the knobs.regards Norbert