Sign in to follow this  
Guest w1jop2009

Alienware

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

There were some issues with SoundMax on board chips possibly contributing to the whole disappearing plane/skin problem, but other than that I don't think there's any reason at all to get an actual sound card anymore, the onboard chips can do basically everything that a SoundBlaster or whatever can anyway.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

I can't find anything recent on whether or not onboard sound versus dedicated sound makes a difference nowadays, I can only go on my experiences. Maybe I can on my current system though removing my sound card may void my warranty.
Your own experiences are important Mike and valid. I have a separate sound card too, although purchased more in ignorance than fact. Old day

Regards,
Gary Andersen

HAF932 Advanced, ASUS Z690-P D4, i5-12600k @4.9,NH-C14S, 2x8GB DDR4 3600, RM850x PSU,Sata DVD, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB storage, W10-Pro on Intel 750 AIC 800GB PCI-Express,MSI RTX3070 LHR 8GB, AW2720HF, VS238, Card Reader, SMT750 UPS.

Your own experiences are important Mike and valid. I have a separate sound card too, although purchased more in ignorance than fact. Old day's, absolutely a separate sound card made sense. Nowadays with the processing power and memory abilities of a modern system and new technologies used by motherboard manufacturers all I am saying is that we can't recommend that everybody buy a sound card because it worked for us or that every motherboard or system would be improved by purchasing a sound card. I am not saying that for certain systems or even certain motherboards that a separate sound card would not improve performance. What I am saying is that those decisions need be based on some sort of fact preferably on case by case bases. There are several folks posting in these threads that swear adding a separate sound card greatly improved FSX performance and granted for them maybe that is true. What I question is was it truly the sound card or did the sound card simply mask a preexisting condition. There are also a chalk full of people claiming that reducing sound quality has cured screen blackouts and texture loss issues. I have no doubt that they did but again question what the issue is truly and what reducing the sound is masking. I have my FatilityProGamer at full acceleration and highest quality and have not experienced texture loss or black screens for ages. Would I arbitrarily recommend that everybody on every system automatically reduce sound quality for better performance, Of course not.I have scoured the net as much as I care to, to look for data that supports use of a discrete sound card on a modern system today. The vast majority of posts on the subject say no; with little real data either way. Most folks that do claim an improvement on the high side indicate a 10% improvement in FPS on a good day for most FSX users this would translate into maybe 3 frames if true. Would I tell somebody to go out and spend $240.00 on a sound card and just maybe you might maybe see 3-frames? Not I. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16829132008 Not when I could tell them to put that $240 and go from a i7-950 to an i7-960 and upgrade their memory from PC3 (12800) to PC3 (16000) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145255 and get change back and have an improvement that you can put on any bench and see and touch and feel.Now if I was looking for a sound improvement and knowing what my specifications on my Motherboard sound were and knowing that a discrete option offered better specifications or better features then that is a different matter and I would buy the separate card for that reason; because it sounds better.If I had money to burn and wanted the best of the best and already owned a i7-975 and the best memory and 3-Veloicraptors in raid or a couple of SSD drives and a separate NIC card and wanted shear decadence and the very best of the best

Gary !! Are you a Professor or a Doctor or......?? :( My friend, I am very THANKFUL to you. That was practically a "Dissertation" you wrote buddy, and you do express yourself so very clearly. In the short time since I've been reading your posts, and your suggestions to me with repect to building my new PC, I have learnt a lot, Mucho !!! :( My hat comes off to you with much Respect for your knowledge and detailed mindedness when expressing yourself.You are an asset to this here forum, and many others can learn from your very respectful manners!!! :( KUDOS to you Gary!!Best Regards,GodfreyG B)
Godfrey, I appreciate your kind words but it would be deceitful of me to leave anyone with the impression that I am any sort of an expert on computers. I do take pride however in my analytical approach to any situation. I also bring a wealth of common sense to a discussion in hopes of providing enough information that a reader can make a decision for themselves. I learned everything I know about computers either through trial and tribulation or intensive self study, always highly critical of whatever I read and always prepared to call a

Regards,
Gary Andersen

:(

Godfrey, I appreciate your kind words but it would be deceitful of me to leave anyone with the impression that I am any sort of an expert on computers. I do take pride however in my analytical approach to any situation. I also bring a wealth of common sense to a discussion in hopes of providing enough information that a reader can make a decision for themselves. I learned everything I know about computers either through trial and tribulation or intensive self study, always highly critical of whatever I read and always prepared to call a